Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, its been a while... and I promised to try and get the next one up... so here it is.

Okay, just exactly what is this?
Well, its a ruger 77/22 done up by Tactical Operations.

Now, why would I have a premier sniper rifle builder build a .22 for me?
Well, this .22 is known as the green hornet by tac-ops. And that heavy barrel looks sweet, doesn't it? Oh wait.... thats the cool thing, that is NOT a heavy barrel, thats in integral suppressor!!!! :shock:

These green horents are built by tac-ops to be used by swat teams to take out street lights and dogs (among some other uses). This rifle is extremely quite and very handy for rodent reduction. I just received this rifle from tac-ops last week. Its traditional tac-ops quality, supurb in every regard.

No, it does not shoot .25 MOA, but its accurate enough to get the job done. Believe it or not, tac-ops roots grow from suppressors, they build some of the best ones out there.

This rifle is topped with a leupold Mk4 PR 1.5-5x20mm with the SPR reticule. Everything will be reviewed and posted in about a month.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
OOOOO, I want one. Are they the same folks that build the 10/22 with intergral suppresser for the IDF?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I do not believe that is them... at least they have never mentioned it and I'm sure they probably would have if it was them

MEL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just Curious...

I was just wondering what that little baby set you back, not to pry...but I would be very interested in something like that, and would greatly appreciate any info you could provide. Looking forward to that review...

Jon from Alaska

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, actually, these little peaches are law enforcement and military only. You can contact Tac-Ops directly and see about providing a SOT and going from there.

MEL

·
Registered
994 Posts
madgunsmith said:
Not to get off topic, Mel, but why don't you produce a serious rifle and mark it, "FOR CIVILIAN USE ONLY" ?
+1.

Unless there's a legality issue of selling this weapon to someone (I don't see why there would be if they obtain their class three fun stuff), I see this (Tac Ops' policy) as a big loogey on the second amendment as well as their customers.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
madgunsmith said:
Not to get off topic, Mel, but why don't you produce a serious rifle and mark it, "FOR CIVILIAN USE ONLY" ?
Mad has told me this before over the phone, and I loved the idea. I think I perhaps will do such a thing at some point.

Unless there's a legality issue of selling this weapon to someone (I don't see why there would be if they obtain their class three fun stuff), I see this (Tac Ops' policy) as a big loogey on the second amendment as well as their customers.
I almost don't want to mention this, but in defense of Tac-Ops I will.

Do you know why tac-ops has to use this policy? Because they have been burned so many times by civilians promising to do stuff, or swearing everything is set up, that they have a hard time taking people serious in terms of class 3 sales. So for the time being, they will sale them to LE to avoid the hassle. Its sad to say.... but its the facts

MEL

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mel,

What kind of bases, rings, and scope are you using for the rifle? How much did it cost? Their Bravo is 4,000$ roughly I hope it isn't that high. Awesome rifle though. Damn........another toy to buy.

·
Registered
994 Posts
mele said:
Because they have been burned so many times by civilians promising to do stuff, or swearing everything is set up, that they have a hard time taking people serious in terms of class 3 sales.
Do you mean that people promise that they have, or will have, their class three stuff by the time a rifle is completed, and then when the rifle is done, the person has stalled/flaked out on the whole deal?

Sounds like a very legitimate reason but I'm not sure if I understand it properly.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Scatch, that is exactly what happens. Or the background check doesn't go so well, or it ends up being to much of a hassle and they just never come back to pay the balance and pick up their rifle, or they think they can get it without going through the tax stamp, etc.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think I know how a legitimate civilian purchaser might convince TAC OPS to make a sale.

Here is what a legitimate purchaser should do:

1. Send TAC OPs full payment right up front;

2. Along with said payment, the purchaser should enclose a sworn affidavit attesting to his good character, lack of criminal record, etc.

With all that done, TAC OPs would realize that they had a serious purchaser without any background problems. And it would minimize or eliminate any problems they might have about doing a ClassIII sale.

Mad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
madgunsmith said:
1. Send TAC OPs full payment right up front;
That's what I was thinking, too--and if the person ends up backing out, Tac Ops not only made some dollars, but they have a rifle they can raffle for their favoriate charitable organization! :)

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
140 Posts
madgunsmith said:

Mad
I have some S&W .40 cal ammo pumped out by Federal that says "Not for LE use" right on the box! :D Got it through Shotgun news a few weeks ago. Ill see if i can find the add in the paper again and ill post info. Its a good coffee table conversation starter.

The Rifleman

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I talked to Tac-Ops again the other day, and it appears that they read these forums!! (good for them)

They wanted to clarify some more on the LE only tag.

They have indeed taken full payment upfront on class3 stuff and then built them from time to time, but what has happened, is that the rifle gets completed, and then they start the form 4 process, etc. which takes 4-6 months to complete, and the custom gets very frustrated and angry, having not expected the process to take so long, even after having been informed of the lengthy process.

just thought I'd report

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hi Tac-Ops!

What a rifle, Mel! This new thread was worth the wait...How could someone get angry waiting 4-6 months for something that nice? Heck, a McM stock has the same wait sometimes, no?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts