Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midway USA is advertising blemished bullets (some are match grade) on sale and I was wondering if anyone out there has bought any 6.5 or 7 mm. They have just about all popular weights. I was looking at 6.5 130 gr & 140 gr. Also looked at 7mm 140 gr and 180 gr. I would be most interested to find out how these worked out.

Thanks in advance for advice and comments.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Midway USA is advertising blemished bullets (some are match grade) on sale and I was wondering if anyone out there has bought any 6.5 or 7 mm. They have just about all popular weights. I was looking at 6.5 130 gr & 140 gr. Also looked at 7mm 140 gr and 180 gr. I would be most interested to find out how these worked out.

Thanks in advance for advice and comments.
Seems a good thing to use for fire forming one's brass. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have bought quite a few of them. Some lots are more consistent than others. Some are close enough you can't tell the difference between factory firsts. But it's a gamble.

Search the bullet weight and type (i.e. hunting, match, lead free) and that will tell you which bullet it is.

They may vary in weight by a few grains, have different lengths (even enough to be visible to the naked eye). The worst lot I bought was 30cal 225gr ELD-M, three different lengths and weights in each box. Best I bought was 6.5mm 143gr ELD-X, only vary by length a few thousands more than factory firsts and can shoot 5 of them in the .3s at 100yds.

30cal GMX have been good to go. 22cal 70gr GMX expand as they should, but lengths and hollow point opening vary slightly so that affects accuracy. The ELD-Xs I got expand as they should.

Because it's a roll of the dice on bullet consistency, I only buy them if they're about a 40% savings or better. If you know a particular bullet performs well in you gun, but them for plinking, knowing they may not be as accurate. If you're trying a new bullet in your gun, don't base it off a factory second.

The plastic boxes they come in are nice for holding all those random Allen wrenches one acquires over time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to weigh them and check the lengths before reloading them. I'll definitely keep the 40% discount in mind when purchasing them. Right now I am considering the 7mm rounds and 6.5 CM rounds as those are the ones most frequently going down range. Also, I intent these just for plinking @ 100 meters and probably won't even consider them beyond that range.

Thanks again for your input.

BTW Straightshooter1 - the only rounds I fire form is 280 Remington brass to 280 AI, however I never thought of using seconds to fire form those rounds. Thank you, sir.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts