Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Most quality riflescopes utilizing mil-dot reticles provide literature concerning the use and calculation of it packaged with their products.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a question for everyone. I live in Houston Texas and it is very humid and hot. It is also however very unpredictable... :x ...within A SINGLE day we can have bright sunshine switch to gusts up to 35mph swith to rain storms with flash floods...needless to say this creates a nightmare at the range.

My question is since Zeroing in your rifle is key to temperature and humidity changes, when should I zero in my rifle? At a median? or at an extreme that is practical by season? The greatest reason for my concern is we will have our first 1000yrd range open up soon. :D and as distance increases, details such as temperature, humidity and original zero will play vital roles in cold bore shots or in any shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SpEcTeR, the only way i can think of adapting to the weather is to zero your rifle every time you go out, then make a note of all the conditions and the zero calibrations. As you build up a bigger picture, you could estimate the zero settings much better by then comparing the conditions you've recorded to what they are any time you shoot and set your scope to what they were on the closest match.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
David hit it on the head. You go out and zero your rifle in every condition possible, noting everything in your log book. Then, when competition day comes up, you have a good base as to which to guestimate off of for when you shoot.

MEL

G

·
0 Posts
I thought someone was going to suggest that. Well I have my work cut out for me. I will have to revamp my current log's organization and perhaps make weather conditions the defining key above all else.

Thanks Mel, David

·
Registered
448 Posts
Specter, I live in the Houston area also. Where is this new range located?

·
Registered
522 Posts
badshot,

It is called Bayou Rifles club and is south of Beltway 8 on 288. It is a private club and by invitation only kind of place. Where do you currently shoot?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Right now not any where. My rifle is in the shop getting a muzzle brake put on and some trigger work done. I should get it back this week though. I am just starting to get into shooting long range but I have been a hunter all my life. The last couple years I have started increasing my average shot distances on animals and my minimum now is 250 yards. Unless it's a "Muy Grande" of course. I normally go to AMC out off Westhiemer to shoot though. Thanks for the reply and I look forward to talking to you more on here.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When are you out there? I'm there with my A-Gunner in tow most Saturday mornings (including last saturday - wearing the Red, White & Blue flag hats), and occasionally Sunday too.

Bayou has not yet finished its big range (600 to 1,000), so I'm shooting and waiting at American Shooting Centers (at least they have the 300 to 600 to make use of). I've talked to at least 3 others at American that are waiting for Bayou to finish the big range, so they can process their memberships.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I usually try to get out there during the week when there isn't a bunch of people out there. I have been staying on the 100 yard range for now trying to get loads built up and shooting good. I hope to get one of my rifles back from getting the muzzle brake put on this week. Then I will be out there alot more trying to find a load that it likes. I have alot to learn about this type of shooting and look forward to the challenges.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
We all started sometime. If I can help let me know. We also have at least one special Army Special Ops guy who shoots most Saturdays (sometimes he brings his son). Nice guy, veritable buffet of rifles, your guess is as good as mine as to what he shows up with on any given weekend.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have talked to a couple people out there that have some really nice equipment. One of them was an English guy I think. Really nice guy. I was admiring his AI and he let me shoot it a few times. I knew right then I had to get me a new friend. I have been out there just shooting my hunting rifles trying to find loads that shoot good and meeting a few people here and there. I also talked to a guy with a really strange but very nice looking Blaser?? I think thats what he called it. I havent tried it though. i hope to get mine back either tomorrow or Friday so I can go try it out. I hope I can find me a good load pretty fast so I can move down to the farther distances and find out what I can do.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Badshot, Jeffvn is right we all needed to start somewhere and sometime. I am by far an expert but have developed a great passion for extreme marksmanship. Maybe well see you one of these Saturday mornings at American Shooting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm hoping that when I call tomorrow my new rifle will be ready to pick up. If so there is a good chance I will go try it out Friday evening and then again Saturday morning. If you see a guy shooting a stainless sendero that looks completely lost that will be me. Maybe ya'll can tell me. Will the gunsmith bore-sight it when he puts it back together after installing the muzzle brake?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
From my limited experience with Houston smiths, only if you asked him to. Did Briley do the installation? They should have offered to, but you never know and it depends upon who is working the front when you took it in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts