Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now maybe this is a dumb ? and mele u can delete this as soon as I figure it out. But how do you know if your mil dot set up is like the Army style or USMC style?

- My scope is 'Balistic Mil Dot' so is that 3/4 mil dot or what?

·
Registered
238 Posts
usualy mildots are - for every dot is 1, now the only thing i can think of relating to 3/4s is the clicks on top of the scope for the sight adjustment, but usualy thats in MOA and you want something near 1/4 - also your mildots can change value depending on if they are on the front focal plane or not because then sometimes you will also magnify the mildots and they will always mean 1 mil dot, but if they dont magnify with you then you have to adjust them in your mind such as 2x, every dot is now 2

correct me if im wrong (^_^0) im new at this also

but as for as army or USMC style i dont know what your talking about...or if they exist

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
USMC style the space between each mildot equals 3/4 MOA... which would be .75 inches at 100 yards... or an inch and a half at 200... so tape a quarter to a piece of paper at 100 and see if it fits between the dots.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Each Mil Dot is .25 MOA in diameter... the space inbetween each Mil Dot is .75 MOA (for the USMC Mil Dot)... so draw a line that is 1 MOA long on a target... place the target at 100 yards... and see if it lines up. Or... you could just call the information center for the company who manufactured your particular scope and ask. Most Mil Dots are in the USMC configuration however... so chances are it is USMC configuration.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Each Mil Dot is .25 MOA in diameter... the space inbetween each Mil Dot is .75 MOA (for the USMC Mil Dot)... so draw a line that is 1 MOA long on a target...
Whoops!!

You meant to say Each Dot is .25 Mil's, and the space between the ending of one dot and the start of the next dot is .75 MILS, not MOA.

Yes, check out the mastering mildots section of the members area. I explain the exact difference (and even draw diagrams for you) between the USMC and US Army mil-dot reticules.

Your scope, BTW, has USMC 3/4 Mil-dots on the horizontal stadia and the vertical stadia above the horizontal. The marks below the horizontal are ballistic marks for 200-700 yards for particular loads.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yep my mistake... thanks for correcting me.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts