Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm looking at getting either a K98 or a No.4 Mk1 SMLE. The K98 I'm eyeballing is a German Oberndorf that was captured by the Russians and refurbished. What should I expect the bores to be like? It's probably a stupid question cus I'm sure the Russians didn't rebarrel all those Mausers and I'm sure the Germans blasted the heck out of 'em before they were captured.

About the SMLE, the ones I'm looking at were made by Savage and are stamped "US Govenment Property". I want to make sure these aren't rare or collectors items or anything like that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The savage no. 4s where just contracted out from the british government they are suppose to be built as well as any of the others. probably easier to find a savage down there than up here. Savage started building them in july 1941 I believe. The only Lee enfields I would stay away from are non British, canadian and american ones. I know India made some as well as many others.

I bought an Excellent No. 4 mk1 for $250 canadian ( about 180-200 us)
Which was built at the Fakazarly factory.

Happy hunting

Geoff

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would go for the K-98 as well. The SMLE you have, are you sure it isn't a P-14? I personally don't know much about the differences in Lee-Enfields, but some Lees look like P-14s. Others will know more about this than I do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to own a K98 a few years ago and it was in excellent condition. Alot of K98's were released onto the market several years ago from Yugoslavia and Check Republic after they cleared out alot of thier armouries. Following the German invasion all thier arms plants switched to making German weapons and alot of them never got used, just left stock piled. When the Russians retook the area the rifles just remained there until some bright thinking person realised that there was a market for them and they could make a quick buck. The one I owned was a Yugo production model K98 complete with front sight battle hood protecter and the small cleaning pull through rod that protrudes under the bayonet lug, and I would say that it had only been fired for thier proof test and the proof test when imported into the UK.
The Fazackerly Enfields have a similar story. They were produced about 1954, shipped to Southern Ireland, left in storage for about 40 years and then resurfaced. You did well to get one for $250 No.4MK1 as we have to pay £250 plus for them! ($400 plus)
Good old rip off Britain

·
Registered
565 Posts
The Oberndorf Mausers are in general very good. But, after 1944 (I think it was..) the metal quality was somewhat less dependable. I have a K98 from the Oberndorf factory, produced in 1943, unfortunatly, it was raped and rechambered and used by the armed forces here..but the original parts are still in top condition.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SMLE you have, are you sure it isn't a P-14? I personally don't know much about the differences in Lee-Enfields, but some Lees look like P-14s. Others will know more about this than I do.
Yes, I'm sure.

So is it really just up in the air concerning the K98 bores? The bore is the most important thing to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reguarding the k98 ive read that u have to stay away from late years in the war because they skimped on material because the lack of raw material they had. They generally are cheaper and are not even recommended to shoot. I was on a k98 sight and remember seeing a vin range of the ones so maybe check that out too.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you are in the market for a good milsurp rifle, get thee to a gunshow and check out the rifles in person.

Unless you are guaranteed a perfect bore, you should never buy a rifle sight unseen.

There are a number of new in the grease Mausers that you could buy.
As for me, I'd choose the Mauser.

Mad

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The rifles I've had personal experience with are the SMLE, No 4 Mk1*, Kar98k, M1 Garand and Nagant91/30, SKS, and FN48, I've either owned or fired these ones. I think they could be converted to sniper use as everyone said, by making sure the barrel is perfect, bedding the stock as you can, lug lapping if you can, and some trigger work...Would help if you could handload I bet. The most accurate one out of my example was the Garand but none of them were in mint condition. As Mad said, new in grease is the way to go, since during the war the rifles consume lots of corrosive ammo.

Swede mauser would be a great starting point. Lots of people have said they shoot wonderfully. I've heard good things about Swiss K-31 carbines and rifles too...Supposed to be accurate but ammo is costly sometimes.

I'd choose a mauser too. Probably average 2-3 moa with good ammo and irons in stock condition, with the iron sights and rough trigger being the limiting factors. I'd thought of a Nagant project too, but I'm not sure if I can go through with it anymore.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which one ?

Well I have a Mosin 91/30 sniper that has been sporterized by NEW ENGLAND ARMS and I would not trade it for anything, MAYBE a few things out there, I also have a Lee Enfield also sporterized, (dont look at me, my Granddad did it to them), when the Lee came out you could get them for 12 bucks a case and they came 12 to the case, mine is chambered for the 303 British, as for an off the shelf shooter, the only one that I have had anything to do with is the mauser 98 a couple of buddies got theirs from an ad in Gun and Ammo Magazine, Collectors grade still in Cosmoline for just under 300 bucks with Accessories pack and both of the weapons were printing six to seven inch groups out to 500yds with hand loads, ( I was not the one doing the reloading )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts