Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://mildot.com/testdrive.htm

What do you guys think about this product?
do you think it will be a helpful in the field?
does anyone here in the forum use it what do you think of it?

Let me know what you think is this product a waste of money or is it a helpful tool

thanks,
Mina

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
looked at it... think i will keep doing my math and knowning my bullet. looks like an extra "gadget" beyond my rifle, binos, and pack. anyone else?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats kind of what i was thinking...
it seemed like an extra thing to be luging around when if you know what your doing in the first place you really dont need it

·
Registered
347 Posts
They come with when you buy a Xotic scope I believe...i'm sure it's useful for on the bench but i don't imagine keeping track of it would be fun inthe field.

-BS

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody els have an opinion on the topic?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
instead of a "mildot master" i just use my dope card... my proven results at known distances in known factors... all i need the mils for are range estimation and lead/ hold over. other than that they are bumpy crosshairs. right? or am i missing the holy grail here?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Meema,

Have one myself. My math isn't the best in the world, but it sure isnt the worst. It is quite useful if you ask me. Once you know how to use it, its easy to get your estimates on distance and windage adjustments. The system itself is pretty damn accurate as well. In terms of keeping track of the item in the field, Its much more stowable then certain types of logbooks. But I carry both when I am on the line, or out in the field doing my shooting. The Mil Dot Master can only do soo much, everything else depends on your log. I am learning more about this item every time I get the hell out on the firing line. I would like to know my equations as well as how to use this card both equally effective. I essence, it is a little "cheat card." It helps if you need estimates fast. But if you have targets less then 5 inches, better get out the paper and pencil. The mil dot master as well as the equations used, aquired knowledge on ballistics, etc etc is always the best thing when it comes to this kind of shooting. Once you learn to use this, angle shots, ballistic charts, and other little goddies can be added on it. This and a WELL kept log book will do numbers. I believe in the Mil Dot Master, but I also believe in a well kept log book as well. Theres Tylers two cents for the night.

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
These little jewels are worth their weight in gold! Great to have.......

I can run through math pretty fast, BUT in the rain a elec. claculator is useless......the MDM is waterproof and does not take batteries.....one less thing to break

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i'll keep my dope card and mils... thanks but no thanks. sometimes old school is the only school.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Late I know, but I have a hall pass...

I think the MDM is simply a reference tool. I keep a laminated copy of the Fed. Match 175 grain ballistics in my pocket when I'm out.

Do I use it every single shot? No. Does it come in handy? Yes.

We are all attempting to know as much as we can about: our rig, our loads and the variables that go into punching that paper at (insert number here) yards/meters.

If you think it could come in handy... Why not? It doesn't mean you have sew it onto the backside of your eyelids. How much is it, ten bucks?

Most of us here are not current or former (heck, even future) snipers or sharpshooters. We don't have instructors at Quantico to bounce ideas off of. It is also pretty obvious that most of us here are on a budget.

I'll take all the help I can get.

After saying all that, it is still rounds down range that means the most.
I personally don't own an MDM.

-snowy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts