Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering...... is the US military useing .338 Lapua anywhere?

AI's maybe? ......

BC, have you used any? and if so, what's your opinion of not just the weapon but the round?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ARMY : I know the US Army S.F. Snipers have M-24's in .338 Lapua. I have not shot an M-24 in the .338 Lapua caliber but i have seen one being shot when we did a little work with Army SF in asscrackistan. Its a very nice rifle... exactly the same as the M-24 with the exception of the caliber and barrel... and there is not any iron sights... the scope was also different. It appeared to be a 28 inch barrel with at least a #8 contour... yes i did get to hold it and it was pretty heavy. The caliber is... as most people know... a very good caliber for long range sniping... out to 1,800 - 2,000 yards capable.

Navy SEAL's : I know for a fact that SEAL teams 1, 3, and 5 (west coast SEAL teams) have AI .338 Lapua rifles. As far as the other SEAL teams and other SEAL units im not sure ive never worked / practiced with them. We did a shoot with them a few years back and i got to shoot one. It is a very good rifle. I had numerous one shot one kill shots on human targets at 1,500 yards with the AI rifle and i found that really fun. We were about the move back 500 more yards to shoot at 2,000 yards but then it started raining so we had to bring the big expensive toys inside. :(

Air Force : I have no clue... but i doubt it.

US Marine Corps : Not that i know of. But word is a Marine SF unit (SOCOM Detachment One) has them...

Direct SOCOM units : I have no clue... but i would imagine so.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I second what BC has said, but I believe there are extremely few M24's in .338 Lapua. I personally have not handled one. BC, was this rifle a repeater or single shot? I do not believe a .338 round will fit in the long action magazine of a remington 700 (I'm pretty certain it will not). But the rifle, in order to fire the LM, would have to be extensively modified already, so some magazine modifications may have also been performed.

FYI to everyone else - THIS IS NOT a typical M24. The M24 does NOT natively work with 338 Lapua. (Just wanted to be sure people understood that)

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
mele said:
I second what BC has said, but I believe there are extremely few M24's in .338 Lapua. I personally have not handled one. BC, was this rifle a repeater or single shot? I do not believe a .338 round will fit in the long action magazine of a remington 700 (I'm pretty certain it will not). But the rifle, in order to fire the LM, would have to be extensively modified already, so some magazine modifications may have also been performed.

MEL
I honestly dont know if it was a repeater or a single shot... i never got to fire it and didnt try loading it (since i didnt get to shoot it) and yes it is most deffinitly not a regular M-24... the only thing that resembled the M-24 SWS is the stock.

The Army SF guys who had the .338 Lapua M-24's were from 3rd SFG... also known as "Delta" wich is the Army's anti terorism SFG. They had 4 of them. There were also some guys from 5th SFG in asscrackistan and they did not have any 338's... allthough they did have a few 300 win mag M-24's.

With this information i would say that the US Army's inventory in 338 lapua M-24's is probably 4 rifles...

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
The Army SF guys who had the .338 Lapua M-24's were from 3rd SFG... also known as "Delta" wich is the Army's anti terorism SFG. They had 4 of them. There were also some guys from 5th SFG in asscrackistan and they did not have any 338's... allthough they did have a few 300 win mag M-24's.

With this information i would say that the US Army's inventory in 338 lapua M-24's is probably 4 rifles...

BC
A small correction for you, BC.3rd SFG is not also known as "Delta". Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta falls under USASOC, not 3rd Group. They may have formerly been in 3rd SFG, or using that as their cover. Considering your unit and where you were at, there is proably no doubt they were "D-Boy's". On the .338's, I'm sure you're right. Many of my Army buddies are still on active duty in different SF Group's, and they all use the .300 win mag M-24. Gun manufactures outfit SFOD-D like NIKE outfits pro ball players. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
EDITED : removed unit information due to OPSEC

BC :oops:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
BC, I assumed when you stated"3rd Group...also known as "Delta" which is the Army's anti terriosm SFG", you were actually speaking of SFOD-D, which IS the Army's anti-terrorism unit. Wasn't trying to start anything, just correcting the nominclature.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
EDITED : removed unit information due to OPSEC

BC :oops:
:lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I started typing away like i was talkin with a buddy of mine or somthin... and i forgot i was talkin with people that dont need to know stuff... i caught it just as i hit the send button... so i hit the red X on the IE window but it had allready sent... so i deleted it as fast as i could then went back and wrote that in its place. :oops:

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
EDITED

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
NO... you DID NOT catch the post. Private Message sent.

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Huh...what post??? :) :)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks BC...do you think the .338 is capable of attaining the same, or at least similar, results in general as a .50 cal? .... eg; anti-material role with appropriate ammo etc.
I'm thinking from a deployment angle being lighter, and for precision as it is inherantly a lot more accurate than the .50 cal.
Or is the .50 cal out on it's own....nothing else will do?

Mel, will the Remington long action not take a 416 Rigby? ..... and therefore a .338 Lapua.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The .50 is out there all on its own. The .338 Lapua provides a similar of sometimes even better anti-personelle role because of the accuracy of the systems and the portability of the systems. But when you positively have to destroy something with a single well aimed shot, the .50 generally reigns supreme. (the jury is still out on the 20mm rifles, at least in my mind).

No, the remington will not chamber a .416 Rigby, and therefore not the 338 Lapua, at least not without extensive work. Most believe the rem 700 is not suitable for the cartridge, even with the modifications.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Kiwi said:
Thanks BC...do you think the .338 is capable of attaining the same, or at least similar, results in general as a .50 cal? .... eg; anti-material role with appropriate ammo etc.
I'm thinking from a deployment angle being lighter, and for precision as it is inherantly a lot more accurate than the .50 cal.
Or is the .50 cal out on it's own....nothing else will do?

Mel, will the Remington long action not take a 416 Rigby? ..... and therefore a .338 Lapua.
The .338 Lapua is good out to 1800 yards or so... but past 1,500 the .50BMG is much better than the .338 Lapua. The only caliber other than 12.7X109 (russian .50) is the .408 CheyTac. Ballistically speaking... the .408 CheyTac is superior to the .50BMG.

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Thanks for getting this thread back on topic, guys. My fault it got side-tracked! How is the recoil of the .338 Lapua compaired to, say, the .33 Win Mag?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well i havent fired a .338 Win Mag in quite some time... but the .338 Lapua has substancial reciol... that of a 12 guage high wall slug i would say. It deffinitly kicks... but with a proper muzzle break it is deffinitly managable. Keep in mind the 12 guage high wall slug reciol im comparing it to is fired out of a 7 pound shotgun... and the .338 Lapua out of a 16 or so pound rifle.

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sorry, that was a typo! My question was how the recoil compares to the .300 Win Mag.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
With "standard" weight match ammo (for each caliber) and a standard weight rifles (for each caliber) the .338 Lapua has more recoil... but not alot more. The .300 Win Mag is a more easy caliber to put alot of rounds down range in the prone position... it all depends on if you are recoil sensitive or not... and to what extent.

BC

1 - 20 of 31 Posts