Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, scholars, wrestling fans:

I have a suggestion for our intrepid leader.

Why not a postal match for bolt action military rifles? What about it?

I am one of the poorest shooters here, but I know I have the most accurate bolt action military rifle. I have an Argentine Mauser that will shoot sub MOA. (But not in my hands)

Mad.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am assuming that you mean personally owned bolt action military rifles? We don't want BC using an issued rifle at the base!

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, I think a M24 or M40A3 would make a fine showing.

How about military "surplus" bolt action rifles. We might be able to swing that

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Cool, I will work up some loads for the O3A3 I can get her down to MOA if I try hard, and sling up good. I assume this Irons Only right?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
To straighten somthing out here... is this a Military Sniper Weapon competition or just a Military Bolt Action Rifle competition?... K-98 Mausers and Springfield 03's... or M-40's and M-24's... SMLE No4MKT's?

In other words... scopes or irons?

BC

·
Registered
576 Posts
Could probably split it into two categories without too much trouble, although that'd essentially turn it into two different competitions.

Oddly enough, I know how to shoot with a optic, I just prefer (And I am better with) iron-sights. Bah.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hmmm, stock military surplus bolt actions would be nice, sure would...Thats what ya mean, since you'll be shooting an Argentine Mauser, right Mad?

AK, looks like you may be in luck..although that sure is odd lol.

The best servicable milsurp (bolt) I have right now is a 1917 enfield so I can count on some nice 4 moa groups, if I do my part : :lol:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I presume you mean surplus bolt action military - good idea and good luck.

If you open it to current or recently retired mmilitary - the Patriot and I are in and ready to defend the honor of the M40A1, and the Hammonds and I are in for the M40A3.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what to use:

But I have it narrowed down to the following Mauser classics:

1908 Deutsche Waffen und Munitionfabriek Brazilean Mauser in 7x57mm

1919 Carl Gustafsgevarsfactori Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55mm

1909 DWM Argentine Mauser in 7.65x53mm.

I would like to see a seperate category for stock military bolt actions from the 1898 to 1950 period

Mad.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Dont' worry, if this one is a go, the rules will specifically be outlined. I'm thinking military surplus bolt actions (no reproductions) open sights, probably 100 yards.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
madgunsmith said:
1919 Carl Gustafsgevarsfactori Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55mm
The local gunstore has one of these in what appears to be 98+%... it doesnt appear to have ever been fired. They are asking $350 for it and if i remember correctly it was made right around WW1. (i think the stamp was 1919 just like yours... not sure if thats the model or the date of manufacture though). Is $350 a good deal for this rifle? It looks like it has some pretty nice wood on it... all in all it looks beautiful but im not sure how much those particular rifles go for even in 98+% condition.

BC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Why make it bolt action only? Why not allow relic military semi-autos, like Garands, Mas49's, SVT's, FN49's etc?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Actually, that is a great point Yimmy.... the match will include semi-auto also. So bring out the SKS's !! Those of you that have surplus LEGAL class III auto's may use those also

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
mele said:
Actually, that is a great point Yimmy.... the match will include semi-auto also. So bring out the SKS's !! MEL
Heh, yeah but I wanna win though!

Garand it is :lol:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I paid about a hundred bucks for my 1919 Swedish Mauser and it was still in the original grease!!

Take a look at the marking disk at the side of the stock. If you see a "1", then you know that the Swedish armorer considered the barrel to be perfect. A "2" indicates a good barrel and a "3" indicates a fair barrel. "4" means that the rifle needs a new barrel.

If the rifle in question is marked, "1", then I think it is worth $350.

Mad

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have to shoot this one, but one question, no match weapons right? My NM from the USAMU would be milsurp, but it shoots the legs off other garands. I plan to shoot 3 rifles in the match, my 03A3, my IHC RG garand, and my Dane VAR garand, unless you let me shoot the NM garand then it would be 4 lol.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I wanna use a Garand :-(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts