Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Can I use CCI #35 Militery large rifle primers on my regular reloads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it is a big bore AR I highly recommend either #35 or magnums.. both have a harder cup and I have seen ALOT of slam fires on big bore. Small bore AR rifles never had a slam fire but i still use #41.. jmo

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
ARs have free floating firing pins and the inertia from the bcg going forward can hit the cap hard enough to cause you next one to ignite

Slight clarification... the inertial can carry the firing pin hard enough to cause it to fire

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Military primers are stronger? I’m using Lake City 308. When I went to reload then I discovered they were Military brass because the pockets were crimped. Took me an hour to get 100 of them done by hand. So I’m gonna guess the primers were also military?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They cost more but #35 or some other mil type , I highly recommend.. like I said if by chance you can get cci LR mag,.ive not had any of those slam fire

So a “slam fire” is when the firing pin hits so hard that it will ignite the next round in the magazine?

·
Registered
682 Posts
So Military primers are stronger? I’m using Lake City 308. When I went to reload then I discovered they were Military brass because the pockets were crimped. Took me an hour to get 100 of them done by hand. So I’m gonna guess the primers were also military?

Yes if its real mil surplus brass the priner cups are harder. Just kook at a load you charge then eject it, you will see where the pin hit the cup. Never put that same round at the top. Repeated slaming can make it accidental discharge.. like I mentioned, never saw it happen on small bores but many times on big bore (308 6.5 cm, 243 etc)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes if its real mil surplus brass the priner cups are harder. Just kook at a load you charge then eject it, you will see where the pin hit the cup. Never put that same round at the top. Repeated slaming can make it accidental discharge.. like I mentioned, never saw it happen on small bores but many times on big bore (308 6.5 cm, 243 etc)

I’m loading 308. So that’s big bore?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Which one relates best to H335?

Hornady doesn't show h335 as a option, lyman show h380 as best performing in their test on 150 gr pills. Alot of lymans data has been dead on target for me.. i almost always start with their suggestions

1 - 20 of 47 Posts