Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how pissed off this Marine was when the flash on the camera went off... notice he has night vision goggles on. :lol: Not to mention the damn photographer just gave away his position to every pissed off haji with an AK.

AR RAMADI, Iraq (March 29, 2005) - A Marine with Quick Reaction Force, 4th Platoon, Company C, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, looks through his night vision goggles for insurgents and other threats against his fellow Marine while posting security on a dark, city street. Marines with 2nd Platoon, Company C, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, conducted a late-night combat patrol in a portion of the city here where groups of Iraqis, possibly insurgents, have been seen gathering after curfew hours, which are from 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. The Marines discovered a group of Iraqi teens playing soccer beneath a streetlight and several adults gathered in the street in front of their residences. The Marines finished the patrol without incident and returned to their base camp at Snake Pit.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
"Oh, gee, I'm blind. What? I happened to rifle butt you in the kidney? So sorry but I can't see..."

·
Registered
238 Posts
one would imagine he was posing...and, though i doubt it, alot of cameras now have enhanced light sensors so that a flash is often not needed, or not as bright of one is needed - though as i said, i doubt this was used

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering i see me a shadow behind him... i think there was a pretty bright flash.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shikaku said:
one would imagine he was posing...
Read the discription under the picture... the picture and discription is from www.USMC.mil

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I know Shikaku said he doubted that kinda camera was used, and I ain't trying to argue with him...but I never even noticed the shadow, thats right...and parts of the weapon are gleaming. Dude might as well have been using a flashlight or smoking a cigarette.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Couple of questions - I thought modern day night vision automatically adjusted for when it got light, so that the user wasn't blinded. I read a good book on SO19 (SWAT), where they took the piss out of a bloke by giving him NVG's in a dark room, then turning the light on, and the gy was none the wiser for it...

Also, a stupid question, but how do you aim a rifle when you are wearing NVG's? I mean, you can't exactly look down the rear sight when you have a big plastic block on your eyes?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Man, that digital pattern works REAL well in that environment.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
Couple of questions - I thought modern day night vision automatically adjusted for when it got light, so that the user wasn't blinded. I read a good book on SO19 (SWAT), where they took the piss out of a bloke by giving him NVG's in a dark room, then turning the light on, and the gy was none the wiser for it...

Also, a stupid question, but how do you aim a rifle when you are wearing NVG's? I mean, you can't exactly look down the rear sight when you have a big plastic block on your eyes?
Yes....those googles have a auto dimmer sensor when bright light hits the front of them they dim but the flash of a camera is pretty fast....either way he would not be "blinded" more annoyed that he would have to give the goggles a good couple of seconds to adjust again.

Aiming with NVG is not as easy as NV Monoculars but it can be done with practice.....how you aim all depends on the type of firearm you have .......but you are not going to win any shooting competitions.

Even with a pistol it is difficult because Night Vision has focus issues.....so you can focus of things within about 3 feet or anything past 3 feet....there isnt a setting for both:
Sights Clear - Target Blurry
Sights Blurry - Target Clear

Get used to operating all your equipment in the dark.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Isn't there a type of laser sight you can zero to the trajectory of your rifle and see through your night vision gear only?

·
Registered
448 Posts
You cannot bend light beams in a ballistic arc that the bullet would travel in. And If your NVG can see such a laser beam so can your enemy.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I see what you mean about bending light, and I admit I was way off on that one man. But I could swear there was a unit that attaches to the M16 that shoots a laser out to show where you're hitting at a certain range. Probably short. Canada uses it, but I think the US had it first.

Yeah, the enemy could see your laser beam, but I don't think many Taliban or Insurgents use NVG at night. If they do, they see you already anyway, before you turn on your beam I guess.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Isn't there a type of laser sight you can zero to the trajectory of your rifle and see through your night vision gear only?
Yes, infared lasers are not visable to the human eye but can be seen with NVG's.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If it makes any sense, this is what I was talking about...

"Each soldier in B Coy was issued the AN/PVS-14 monocular night vision goggle and the PAQ-4C laser-aiming device (or PEQ-2A for commanders). Mounted on the rifle – via the rail interface system or Triad – the PAQ-4C designator projects an infrared laser beam (invisible to the naked eye), which is ‘zeroed’ to the trajectory of the round. Seen through the AN/PVS-14 goggles, the PAQ-4C’s infrared laser beam allows the soldier to engage targets accurately (up to a hundred metres out) while in complete darkness."

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/id-macpher-3.htm

·
Registered
448 Posts
And to add to FLEA's post will stand out like a flashing neon sign. This is purely a hypothetical situation since I have never been to and dont ever want to go to Iraq or other places like that. But say your an American soilder and your watching a street for insurgents. You use your laser to engage a target. There are other insurgents between you and your target off in one of the buildings to the side. They dont know you are there and you dont know they are there, until your laser becomes visible thru night vision. You have just showed those insurgents your exact location. Not really something I would want to do.

BC or some of the other soilders that have been there and done that can probably tell us stories that will cause us to go grey too early.

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

Well infared lasers with NVG's are mostly used while clearing rooms and buildings making it easy to sight in a target. It is not a good idea to shine one across the desert or jungle for you are just drawing a line back to yourself.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Ah, thanks Flea, I see what you mean about clearing rooms. Badshot, what you said is true, but I don't see why we use so many then, both here and in the US. You're right though, BC will shed some light on the situation for me.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: re

Yimmy said:
AN/PEQ-2 IR lazer pointer... only people with either IR or NVG goggles can see the lazer (in theory).... his is mounted on the left side of his rifle... just barely visible in the pic.

BC

1 - 20 of 39 Posts