Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally ready to order my first centerfire bolt action rifle and I have decided on the model 700pss. The first shop that I went to said that I wouldn't be able to get one because they were for law enforcement only. I couldn't think of any reason they would restrict a bolt action rifle so I tried another shop and he said that it wouldn't be a problem and he sold them all the time but he didn't have any in stock so he will have to special order me one, no big deal really, but I just want to make sure that I get a real pss and not a vs or something like that. I was wondering what features are unique to the pss so I can make sure that I don't get ripped off. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dustin :?:

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

Well the current model is just called a 700P.

Just sounds like the guy didn't know what he was talking about. Sometimes those gun shop fellas get confused because the remington LE line of guns has a bunch of shotguns that are restriced to law enforcement based on barrell length.

Hope you like you new rifle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I know how ya feel. Before i bought my Sendero in 300 Win Mag i had the same situation. One dealer said you cant order them, another said it would be no problem. FLEA is right, you can order a 700P if you just find the dealer that will work with you. Matter of fact i went looking for a 700 LTR Yesterday and the same dealer mentioned above gave me the same answer, then tried to sell me a Browning A-bolt. :shock: Kinda makes me wonder since i once again went to another shop and they asked me when they should order it. I know I know, im a slow learner :roll:
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
The "PSS" stands for palm swell stock. It is a black synthetic stock made by HS Precision. Ask for the 700P. I paid $720 with tax for mine.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
coop said:
The "PSS" stands for palm swell stock. It is a black synthetic stock made by HS Precision. Ask for the 700P. I paid $720 with tax for mine.
I think the neck on the 700p is too thick, Thats why I am putting a Mcmillan A5 on mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
coop said:
Are you sure?

i have heard for years it stood for either Police Sniper System which is why they quit calling it that because of the 2 guys killing people in Maryland/Virginia.

Or the Police Sharp Shooter.

Police Sniper System is what I always heard it being called.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
PSS - Police Sniper Synthetiic, when it was still a PSS. Now its a 700P (police). They changed the name of the rifle to a P long before the DC area shootings.

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
DFARM, you might try getting one of the 2005 700Ps with the new buttpad and the 40X trigger. I'm not sure if they're shipping yet, but it would be a big improvement for (probably) not much money.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Go to shotgun news and order one, the PSS is $649 to $699(??, been awhile since I last looked for them). Just get a FFL to transfer it for you. A decent FFL should transfer it for $20 or less.

In most cases the dealers are just mis-informed or just scared of the Remington "LE" cataloge due to liability issues.

I am sure you will love yours!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I know the 700P is a favorite and everyone is addicted to them. But I would just like to offer you the thought of saving $. Don't knock the VS, by buddy has one and it can keep up w/ a 700P anyday of the week. Maybe if your looking to put that money somewhere where it might improv accuracy. It may not be worth the extra cash just for palm swells, an extra mounting lug, and .....oh yea...its black.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
APK-223 said:
I know the 700P is a favorite and everyone is addicted to them. But I would just like to offer you the thought of saving $. Don't knock the VS, by buddy has one and it can keep up w/ a 700P anyday of the week. Maybe if your looking to put that money somewhere where it might improv accuracy. It may not be worth the extra cash just for palm swells, an extra mounting lug, and .....oh yea...its black.
very good advise!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I find it funny that the VS. is the same barreled action as the 700p when a local gunsmith told me that the 700p is acurized and far better. He also informed me that all the 700p's they have sold shoot much better than .5 moa. I think he was trying to sell me a rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ghost said:
I find it funny that the VS. is the same barreled action as the 700p when a local gunsmith told me that the 700p is acurized and far better. He also informed me that all the 700p's they have sold shoot much better than .5 moa. I think he was trying to sell me a rifle.
Ha! Without a doubt he was trying to sell you a rifle!!
Most 700P's are about .75 MOA, some are better, some are worse. With some tuning and handloads you can get them down to about .5 MOA

MEL

·
Registered
89 Posts
APK-223 said:
Yeah I guess if you like that trashy J-Lock on the VS go for it.

You can replace the J-Lock and make it standard like the 700P like some do, I think its $40.00 or so to fix that future repair. The J-Locks usually trash out after a few thousand rounds.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts