Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else watch this?

I learned about the new tungsten composite round the Marine Corps will be using to replace standard lead ammo. That was interesting. However the reason I made this thread is that I was interested in the new LE bullets they showed. These bullets were capable of penetrating metal, but not over penetrating flesh. They were some sort of 8 material alloy. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I know a contractor in Iraq used something that sounds very similar. Blended metal technology rounds. I have an article about them here that I can check out for you if you like.

Apparently he shot an Iraqi in the butt-ocks as Gump would say, and it blew up his stomach, killing him almost instantly.

US Army rejected it due to ballistic jello tests, which the makers say is a worthless test. Apparently it can tell the difference between hard and soft targets, and reacts much differently in animal carcasses and meat than it does in the jello.

Very interesting. That one is only legal in non-war use though.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
US Army rejected it due to ballistic jello tests, which the makers say is a worthless test. .
Gee I'm shocked, well maby not. I have known the US Army to do dumber things.

There is one supreme bullet mfgr that makes a line of bullets out of pure copper for the last 20 or so years. I want to say it is barnes or nosler, but anyway they are supposed to be the same way as far as opening up, but with deep penetration etc.

I would also be intrested in how the Lapua line of non lead bullets work.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Sounds a lot like Barnes X bullets to me, Eka. The newer ones, Triple shock, are very accurate with high BCs.

I had seen another round, a defensive pistol round, which was made entirely of copper with pre-cut weaknesses moving down the jacket. It opened up into a beautiful 6-petalled flower shape and looked like it enjoyed destroying things. I swear, I saw it in a Taurus ad, but Taurus doesn't sell ammo, do they?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
777 Posts
Muzzleblast,

The bullet you're talking about is Barnes' XPB (X Pistol Bullet). Barnes makes the bullets, but they are loaded by several companies.

Taurus markets a 185 grain .45 ACP load using Barnes' XPB, but it assembled for them by someone else.

Cor Bon assembles and sells an entire line of self-defense ammo using XPB bullets; they call it their DPX (Deep Penetrating X Bullet) line. They also have rifle ammunition using Triple Shock X bullets.

There may be others loading with these bullets as well. Performance appears to be excellent, with penetration in the 12 to 16 inch range with 100% weight retention and full expansion. When I shoot up my current 9mm defensive loads I'm going to give the 115 grain +P DPX load serious consideration.

Frankly, I'm really like Barnes bullets. But then, I am a self-confessed Barnes freak :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts