Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Are monopods useful?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Effective or not? I have never used or delt with one so I am relying on the vast knowledge of my SC buddies! :D It seems to me that they would be helpful in non-tactical situations, but would just be one more thing in your way in the field.

·
Registered
253 Posts
monopods

i answered yes to the poll, however i have only used a monopod on one gun, that being the military's M107 Barret 50 Cal. on that particular rifle i found that the monopod did a great job holding the rifle still enough for even a mediocre shooter to hit a 1000m target consistently if the scope was set correctly (and we were lucky enough to get some match ammo). but, like i said, this is my only experience with using a monopod. i have used the sand-sox (homemade) and have had relative luck with those as well on other rifles.

thanks for listening to me ramble.

Brian

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
As a few of you know i carried an M-14DMR (USMC Model) in Asscrackistan for 5 1/2 months... there were MANY times in which i wished i had a mono-pod... you need all the help you can get to squeeze the .75-1 MOA accuracy out of that semi auto DMR. Now... as Brian has stated... the mono-pod works AWESOME on the heavy rifles... such as the M-82A1 / A3 / M-107 / M-99 / M-96 rifles... AI rifles come standard with one.

I voted YES... they are most deffinitly useful in my proffesional opinion.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'm not a fan of them for most situations. They are too slow to adjust. The sand sock is superior in that particular area. They do not traverse well either, and generally get in the way.... that being said, a mono is better than nothing! If you read my HS HTR review, I used their mono pod for the first session, then removed it for all the remaining shooting. Opting back to a sand sock. If you were looking for ultimate precision and not field work where constant movement of the rifle is required, then a mono is "probably" superior because you can precisely set it and it will not move... but for in the field... give me a sock

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

By monopod, do you mean where a bi-pod would be under the barrel, as like Arisaka rifles, or do you mean in addition to the bi-pod, the monopod being under the butt?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I used an M-14 DMR (USMC Model) over sea's as i have previously stated... and with out any monopod available for it i used a sand sock and it worked great. I had it ductaped onto the stock for a while but it kept falling off so i didnt try putting it back on... i just carried it in my cargo pocket untill it needed to be used.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
By monopod, do you mean where a bi-pod would be under the barrel, as like Arisaka rifles, or do you mean in addition to the bi-pod, the monopod being under the butt?
The Accu-Shot (among others) mono pods that go under the buttstock...

BC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

In that case, I don't think you can do much better than how it is on the LSW - where you have a rear handle, on which you can grip your hand higher or lower, with your little finger on the ground, to hold it rock solid while changing height of POA.

I would assume a proper rear leg support to take too much time fidling with to be of any real use in a fire fight.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I usually use my left hand to hold the bottom of the stock in the corner of my right shoulder to be honest... never really use any sand socks or monopods... but i have used them before.

BC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts