Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we are with a new year upon us. NorCalFocus has asked me to back him up on the Monthly Challenge as he's having some extra demands on his time.

Here's the first target of the year.

Rules:
1. Shoot as many targets as you'd like. However you can only post one target, per class.
2. All targets must be posted by 11:59pm Pacific time on the last day of the month.
3. You must follow the coarse of fire for that months target. Each target will have a maximum number of shots allowed.
4. Use any rifle that you'd like. Minimum distances are as follows:
a. Airrifle 25 yards
b. Rimfire 50 yards
c. Centerfire 100 yards
5. Be sure to include what rifle, round, position, and distance you've shot the target with in your post. Writing it on the target is fine.

Something easy but to make it more "interesting" a twist will be added. Any rifle/caliber is OK but no rear rest. NO REAR BAG, just shooter's shoulder (using arm of fist grip on rear of sling OK). Front rest can be anything you want from bipod, sandbag(s), rolled up coat, friends shoulder, etc:cool:

Scoring------- 10 points per bird
Minus 5 points for each "hit" on the wire.

14 shots maximum with 140 points max score.

Don't forget to include Rifle, Caliber, Position, etc. Pictures from day of shoot would be nice too.

Download target here: http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20025.pdf

Christmas is over and by the middle of next week the hangovers should be gone so no more excuses. Let's start shooting for the New Year.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would expect to see a bunch of shooters that aren't hung over Monday to hit the range and shoot their target for January. Get an early start rather than waiting until the last days of the month..

I'm going to see if I can get mine done on Tuesday after everyone else goes back to work.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am going to wait for more favorable weather. It -40 out now so it a little chilly.

Cliffy
Have you considered just setting up a target 100 yards from the house, opening a rear window about 6", then set up your rifle so you can shoot through the gap from a rest back inside the warm house? :cool:

You might want to lock the cat in a closet and send your wife to the store (or vice-versa ;)) before doing this though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, I didn't do so well today entering in at 50 points. 9 out of 14 birds shot at were scared though lol. I added a few more variables by having the kid in the truck, and shooting off the slick tailgate at -4deg C. Distance was 101yds. I shot 2 sighters with rear bag and adjusted 1/2moa down. Then I shot 14 rounds at the challenge target with no rear bag. I was kind of disappointed so I shot a 5 shot group with rear bag after to verify my zero. IMG_5202.JPG
I won't hold all the movement in the truck against the little guy, cause he shares his apple sauce with me lol. IMG_5191.JPG Honestly I should have put down a piece of plywood to take the slide out of the bipod on the tailgate. Also this barrel is just maybe at 200 rounds so I should revisit load development. Charge is 43.2 gr Varget with 168gr nosler BT's. IMG_5194.JPG IMG_5206.JPG last pic is our land where I have natural back stops right out to 800yds and the neighbor will let me set up targets on their section so I can shoot 1000 if I want.
Forgot to mention rifle was savage model 12 , 308 win with 26" Benchmark barrel. And I checked my notes, exactly 140 rounds after today on the barrel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Weather was 40 degrees out so I figured I'd better act now if I wanted to shoot this month. I gotta say it was a lot harder shooting without my rear bag. I used my gloved fist but could still see my pulse through the scope. Hit two wires so it brought my score down to an even 100 points.

Man I miss summer.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical, XLR chassis, 168 A-Max, 44.0 Varget, 100 yards, prone, bipod, rear gloved fist.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tonight looked like my best chance to shoot for a while so I gave it go. The next couple weeks look windy and or colder.

Score of 110 or 120, depends on if a beak only hit counts.

Shot prone with front bipod and hand/ fist under the rear of rifle. 100 yards

6.5CM built by TS Customs with Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action and Bench Mark barrel. KRG Bravo Chassis system
140 grain Hornady American Gunner Ammo

15F and actively snowing. Not much feeling left in either hand by the time I was done much less my trigger finger.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I'm going out either tomorrow or next Friday for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
As promised...

I don't like this no rear bag business. Not on these small birds.

I did figure out that I've been muscling the gun way to much. So that was a nice learning moment. I also added a level which helped me keep my rifle in the same spot each time.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't like this no rear bag business. Not on these small birds.

I did figure out that I've been muscling the gun way to much. So that was a nice learning moment. I also added a level which helped me keep my rifle in the same spot each time.
;);) That's why I added that "twist". I think most of us, hand loaders especially, place too much blame on "bad loads" than on shooter technique. I'll be shooting my target on Tuesday barring any Typhoon hitting our area. Will be interesting to see if my recent surgery will have an effect on my basic gun handling. When using a front rest/rear bag it's mostly just trigger pulling. With no rear bag we add more "shooter" to the mix.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks for posting the target pictures guys. Im recovering from total knee replacement this month. Maybe next month I'll be able to try another one of these.

-- Todd

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, like promised I went out and shot my target today. Now I have to wait for it to dry out. Rained continuously while I was at range and target paper is so wet I'm afraid it will fall apart if I touch it now. It's sitting on a target frame and drying out right now.

Was a fun shoot. Not being able to use a rear bag was a challenge but one worthwhile. Forced me to put basic shooting skills to the test. Should be able to post tomorrow.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, like promised I went out and shot my target today. Now I have to wait for it to dry out. Rained continuously while I was at range and target paper is so wet I'm afraid it will fall apart if I touch it now. It's sitting on a target frame and drying out right now.

Was a fun shoot. Not being able to use a rear bag was a challenge but one worthwhile. Forced me to put basic shooting skills to the test. Should be able to post tomorrow.
We don't have that problem here this time of year. In one week it went from -37C to +10C. It's back to -1C now. IMG_5841.JPG

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Finally dried out. From first two hots it was obvious that I had to hold to the right and down a little. Not only rain, just enough wind make a difference.

Don't feel too bad considering only 4 months post surgery. Did get one of the little buggers right in the "pecker" :cool:

100 Yards
/308 Win
Fed GMM 175 gr SMK (Factory Ammo)

Sinclair Tactical Bipod
Hand made into fist for rear support.

This is from my new Benchmark barrel using their 1:10 Two-Groove design. Runs about 75 fps faster than published with an SD or 12 (Maybe lower as my first shot was through a freshly swabbed out barrel and ran slower than rest of shots.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts