Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone:

I forgot to mention one important thing when I described the installation of the AR-15 barrel.

Before installing the barrel, it is a good idea to smooth out the cartridge feed ramps.

If you take a look at your barrel, you will see that the barrel extension has a series of "teeth" The bolt, of course, locks into the barrel extension.
But the two teeth at 6 o' clock form the left and right feedramps.

When a barrel is new, these feedramps can have sharp edges. So it is always a good idea to smooth out the feed ramp edges. Wrap a small piece of fine sandpaper around a lollypop stick, toothpick, punch or similar object and and carefully smooth the feedramps.

You don't have to go crazy. Just gently smooth the feedramps. You don't want to remove any metal. You want the feedramps to be smooth so that the bullet noses don't get hung up on the ramps.

Mad

·
Registered
770 Posts
hey all,
I am looking to build an AR-15, but I want to do it one piece at a time.
I'd like to wind up with a flat-top rifle with a non-folding stock, plain-jane foregrip, standard barrel, carbine length.. 16" or so.
I am thinking of starting with a stripped lower reciever, and then buying parts one at a time until I have a rifle.
Any input on the order I should buy things in, or specific dealers? I have looked through the Shotgun News and comparison shopped a bunch of different outfits. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I assembled a DPMS lower with parts from Model 1 sales. I don't have any trouble hitting around an inch at 100 yards, although I did substitute the barrel for a 20" military style heavy barrel. The same rifle can be built today for $700 US or less. You can't buy an H-Bar from anyone for less than $1000 new.

Jeff

·
Registered
770 Posts
yeah, looking around, i think about $650 should get me into the rifle I am wanting. I am looking at buying a complete upper to avoid headspace or similiar issues.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
The AR15 kits from Model 1 have the uppers already assembled. I helped a buddy put one together a couple weeks ago. I had to assemble the lower with parts included in the kit, as the lower came stripped. With shipping, it ran him around $670.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
stiffler said:
yeah, looking around, i think about $650 should get me into the rifle I am wanting. I am looking at buying a complete upper to avoid headspace or similiar issues.
A CMMG bargain bin new M4 sells for $650 at the shows. I don't know where you live, but they come to the bigger MidWestern shows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the smoothing of the feed ramps is a great move I do it to every build with that style ramp the center area that is the high spot does need a light softening of the more harsh points there this not only aids in feeding but helps keep the brass from getting cuts in the case side wall that could lead to a case bursting along the cut not good in a gas gun all that gas has to go some where and you are ussually raped around it when this happen oh what an ouwee that is

1 - 10 of 10 Posts