Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think for entry level it would work fine, may want to up grade the trigger mine on my MVP varmint needed alot of work to get it just right.
Cliffy

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife has the MVP Predator (in 5.56) so the action is the same as this LR model just a smaller caliber. The action takes a good bit of getting used to as it is trying to strip a round from the AR mags and requires a little more force than a typical bolt rifle. It starts to smooth out after about 100rds but you really have to work it unlike most bolt rifles it is not near as smooth. It takes a little bit of practice but not too bad. We have not engaged any targets past 250yds with her rifle but it has been fairly accurate so far. No groupings so I cannot give you a report on that. I am planning a range trip soon and we will be taking it to 500yds and I can give a more detailed report about the rifle and action.

I think this would be a decent entry level rifle for steel / paper but far from a tactical rifle or competition rifle because of the relatively new / unknown action. It has a similar stock to the MVP Varmint with the vertical grip and it is nice that it has the adjustable cheekpiece. Looks to be a decent offering from Mossberg but is priced a little high considering you could get a Rem 700 Varmint for a good bit cheaper and spend more on good optics.

If you decide to buy one please let us know how you like it. Mossberg seems to be pushing into the bolt action market more and more and they seem to be promising for the money.

EDIT I am assuming you were looking at the 308 model but I just noticed the 5.56 model has a 1:7 twist which would work really well for the heavier rounds. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
It wouldn't be a bad starter gun for out to 500. Your not going to find much aftermarket for it, so it will have to be an as is gun. (other than the trigger) Put decent glass on it and go shooting.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Hard to find people who have bought and had a lot of experience with this rifle ..kinda sucks! Must not be that great then :/
JSS0818 let us know how the rifle did at the range..lets see some grouping!!!

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Hard to find people who have bought and had a lot of experience with this rifle ..kinda sucks! Must not be that great then :/
JSS0818 let us know how the rifle did at the range..lets see some grouping!!!
I thinks that's because it's not a gun for someone who really wants to learn long range. Most guys that own this rifle are weekend steel shooters in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Late reply here but I will definitely get some pics of it when I can. I'm going to be out of town for work basically until Christmas so it is gonna be awhile. The rifle is actually my wife's I bought it for her as something she can use when we do informal paper shooting and do critter control at the farm. That seems to be what it was intended for and we aren't going to try to make it any more than that. Fun little gun though that's for sure. Lightweight and great to carry around if you are riding in a polaris ranger or a "truck gun".

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an mvp lr 308 . I have done nothing to it except shooti it the action feeds a bit different on the 308 opposed to the 223 and it can use sr25 -dpms type magazines along with m-14 mags . the trigger is ok it could be better but it works for me . so far I have been getting .75-.1 moa at 100 yds with 168 grain amax and 44.5 grains of varget . to be honest the two things that are affecting accuracy are me and the 10 power bushnell elite . I regret the scope purchase . I got in a hurry saw the scope and have read alot of reviews it looked good in the store but for actual field use I could of done better . one thing I found interesting was my suppressor didnt change point of impact more than 1/2 inch . I need to nuckle down and put some more effort into working up some loads.
One thing is for certain you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear so if a guy is expecting something like a 2400 dollar rifle for 1/3 the price he is going to be dissapointed but if your looking for something that is fun to shoot , not to hard to pack around and still give decent accuracy then it may be what your looking for .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone think that this would make a good entry level long range rifle or is it just tacticool? I would have to get good glass of course. I'm not worried about hunting, but 500 yard plus steel and paper target shooting.

Mossberg MVP LR | Modern Gunner
I have one in .223, and it is a heap of junk. Bolt is incredibly sloppy, hard to chamber a round smoothly. The magazine wouldn't release without a huge effort (turn the rifle upside down, two handed effort) , sent it back under warranty. Now the magazine will release when bolt is open, but not when bolt is closed. Failed to fire a fair percentage of some ammunition. Put the same rounds (with dented primer) through a Remington and it fired them all no problems. Haven't really tested enough ammunition or any handloads to really test accuracy, but haven't been impressed so far. I wish I'd never bought it, that's for sure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a tremendous amount of experience with them. I've had mine since the MVP model came out. Fred's not too far off my feeling but maybe has had an atypical experience.

Mossberg rifles are as a matter of fact, a gimmick. Mossberg used to make great rifles but when they stopped they forgot how to do a good job of it. Do not think otherwise. They're over-expensive for what you get. Bolts are sloppy, extractors LOVE to break especially on steel cased ammo, the bore's look like 5 miles of dirt road, factory stocks that aren't chassis stocks are TRASH. The chassis is just an MDT.

In my rifle's history it was originally purchased so I could use long mags for Squirrel Wars in Cedarville, CA. That was fun but the garbage barrel didn't do much for accuracy. Then I decided to lose my mind and see what we could do to make it more accurate.

So, on comes MDT LSS chassis and MOE butt. That helped. Add and XLR butt because the MOE kinda sucked. Replace extractor 4 times then stop shooting steel cased. Did well with 75's for about 3k rounds. Barrel was hosed after a year of match shooting so a new barrel was ordered and that meant new barrel nut. While it was apart I figured "new recoil lug and trigger". And since then it is a different kind of rifle. The original Bushnell ET1040 scope which was fine for squirrels was not fine for proper long range so a series of other scopes came and went. It now wears a Crimson Trace Series 5 3-18x50mm.

Here's where the little punk started. The factory bedding block (plastic) and the factory stock were garbage and caused no end of wandering zero's, flyers and suddenly loose screws. The factory scope bases had a LAKE of oil under them and were soft enough to bend by hand.

Then new stock and better scope. This helped kill the flyer issue and wandering zero issue and turned it into a decent rifle but a decent rifle with a garbage barrel. The factory 9-twist stabilized 75gr bullets but I wanted to be able to go to 80gr or 85gr bullets if I wanted.

Then mind is officially lost. Here it's got a US Optics B-17 optic which I hated. The barrel is a 26" Columbia River Arms 7-twist with an A2 birdcage on the end as a muzzle protector. The BipodExt adds a stupid amount of stability to bipod supported shots.

The problem I could never get rid of is the SAAMI mag length sucks. SAAMI COAL is not long enough for the chamber I have in it to support 75gr bullets loaded to where the boat tail is at the neck/shoulder junction. My chamber setup and the long barrel lets me get Hornady 75gr BTHP up to 2950fps (that is a super hot load though) but that same setup makes light bullets jump so far they just will not group much differently than a shotgun.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
You have hit the nail on the head after all that work it is a different rifle that has cost you as much as a better rifle in the beginning

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts