Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new guy wanting to get into bench rest shooting, not competitively just for me. I don't care about the prestige of one brand over another I just want accuracy. So if you had $1,000 to spend what would you buy. Also, doesn't have to be a recommendation of a new rifle, I can be patient and shop for a used one also. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I would check out the tikka. I have 3 now and the way they shoot out of the box and the fit and finish I look no further.

Cliffy

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I would check out the tikka. I have 3 now and the way they shoot out of the box and the fit and finish I look no further.

Cliffy
Amen to that. One of my fellow shooters and I shot his new Tikka and out of 5 shots he was able to put up a "Bug-hole" and I got 4 in one with a 1/4" flyer. If I wanted a hunting rifle there's no question what I'd be looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the responses do so far. I forgot to mention that I'm a little weird. I'm not all about long distance which is very popular I understand. I only care about 100-200 yards. If that affects your recommendation then there you go. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Hey thanks for the responses do so far. I forgot to mention that I'm a little weird. I'm not all about long distance which is very popular I understand. I only care about 100-200 yards. If that affects your recommendation then there you go. Thanks again!

A rifle that's good for long ranges should be absolutely great for short ranges. I sure wouldn't change my recommendation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try keeping an eye out for a used Winchester 70 Heavy Varmint. Out of the box with a seriously beefy barrel, HS stock, and I have never heard of one that didn't shoot well. Some are so enamored with them that have collected of all six calibers they were chambered in.

***Talk about lurking! Member for seven years and this is my first post!***

·
Registered
348 Posts
The most accurate 22-250 I ever owned was a Remington 700 BDL heavy barreled varminter. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a ruger Hawkeye m77, after a few different powders and bullets I was able to get .354" groups at 100yds. The winning combo was 36.2gr varget and nosler 50gr tipped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a big fan of Remington (and biased a little...) but you can find a varmint Remington 700 for about 500 then throw a new stock on and get a good trigger and have a great shooter for under 1k. I've heard nothing bad on the tikkas other than the funny recoil lug but whatever you go with that's been recommended so far will be great. If you have a way of doing so you should go find a place to feel all the rifles and choose the one that you prefer. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your best bet, for accuracy out of the box is a Remington 700 Varmint with a 26" heavy barrel. With good loads, it can shoot one hole groups all day long at 100 yards. The barrel twist for 22-250 is 1:14, so bullet weight is limited to the lighter bullets. But still, a solid buy. Dicks Sporting Goods has them on sale at times for under $500.00. Remington also has at times rebates.

In addition, I just purchased, and sighted in a Savage Axis Heavy Barrel. Silky action, 22' barrel with 1:12 twist. Slightly faster, so heavier bullets can be used. I myself use 60 grainers, but you can go a bit heavier. Accuracy is well within 1" at 100 yards. Consistent. The downside of the Axis is that isn't as customizable as a Remington.(different stock, etc.) But, out of the box it is very accurate. The barrel it has is the same as the Savage Model 10. This rifle can be had for under $300.00. Savage is also offering a $50.00 rebate now...so the gun could be had for $250.00 dollars...a killer bargain. Use your extra money for glass.

Since you stated you would only be shooting 100-200 yards, I consider both of these rifles solid buys.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Your best bet, for accuracy out of the box is a Remington 700 Varmint with a 26" heavy barrel. With good loads, it can shoot one hole groups all day long at 100 yards. The barrel twist for 22-250 is 1:14, so bullet weight is limited to the lighter bullets. But still, a solid buy. Dicks Sporting Goods has them on sale at times for under $500.00. Remington also has at times rebates.

In addition, I just purchased, and sighted in a Savage Axis Heavy Barrel. Silky action, 22' barrel with 1:12 twist. Slightly faster, so heavier bullets can be used. I myself use 60 grainers, but you can go a bit heavier. Accuracy is well within 1" at 100 yards. Consistent. The downside of the Axis is that isn't as customizable as a Remington.(different stock, etc.) But, out of the box it is very accurate. The barrel it has is the same as the Savage Model 10. This rifle can be had for under $300.00. Savage is also offering a $50.00 rebate now...so the gun could be had for $250.00 dollars...a killer bargain. Use your extra money for glass.

Since you stated you would only be shooting 100-200 yards, I consider both of these rifles solid buys.

Happy Trails!
Every sps varmint I have seen is not anywhere near a one hole gun out of the box. They have very flimsy stocks which are not floated and will be limited to about 1-2 Moa off of a bipod without a new stock. You may get slightly better off of bags, but one hole is not realistic unless you are just shooting one bullet.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Every sps varmint I have seen is not anywhere near a one hole gun out of the box. They have very flimsy stocks which are not floated and will be limited to about 1-2 Moa off of a bipod without a new stock. You may get slightly better off of bags, but one hole is not realistic unless you are just shooting one bullet.

I dont no about you guys but al my guns shoot one hole one shot group al day!!

Cliffy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am talking a ragged hole...and yes, with good handloads, I do it every time I shoot. And I don't use a bipod at all, I shoot off sandbags. You are saying it's not possible, I know you are wrong, I've done it many, many times. 3 round groups. Go call someone else who doesn't know how to shoot a liar.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts