Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Moving target shooting techniques - which is your preference?

• Catching the target, rifle steady

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, there are two techniques of shooting at moving target:
1) Tracking moving target, having a lead between target and crosshairs (aiming mark); this require shooter's body and weapon to move during the shot.
2) "Catching" the target, i.e. firing steady, motionless weapon when certain distance is between moving target and aiming mark.

As far as I know, USMC snipers are taught to use tracking of the target (so was I, in fact), according to USMC training manuals. Most hunters also prefer tracking, I suppose. However, some sources say English snipers prefer "catch" technique.

I would like community's opinions and preferences concerning those methods, especially for longer (300+ meters shots). Thanks to everyone who participate!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i prefer tracking the target to figure out its speed and so i have more time to concetrate on your lead

dom

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The US Army school teaches both and allows you to use the one that works best for you. I tend to not stick to just one method. I normally will track, but have also did a combination track/trap. I will track until I get ahead and then wait and trap it.

I personally do not believe any method is better than the other, just want ever works well for you.

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

In the British army you are taught of both, and told to use which you prefer.

In practice I find it best to use both. For carefully aimed shots, I use the track method, while for rapid engagements I use the ambush method.

ie, If I have to fire two shots at a moving target, I will track for the first shot and ambush for the second.

It should probably be noted however, that the human body tracks to the right slower than it does to the left (assuming your right handed). Ergo the amount you lead the target will likely be different depending on if the target is moving from left to right, or right to left. You may prefer to track targets moving right to left, but ambush them moving left to right.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
It should probably be noted however, that the human body tracks to the right slower than it does to the left (assuming your right handed). Ergo the amount you lead the target will likely be different depending on if the target is moving from left to right, or right to left. You may prefer to track targets moving right to left, but ambush them moving left to right.
This is a very good point. All of my leads are different from right to left and left to right. These are things that need to be in your log book

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I tend to do as Mel does, I track past the target, and wait until it just breaks into the glass again(on a running speed target), and squeeze off the round at chest level. I have found that tracking past allows me to be on for elevation, then all I have to do is time the ambush.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
ive always been better at tracking a target
weapon always constantly leading the target the required ammount while i fire
when trapping a target, i have a habbit of firing too soon or too late once in a while
practice could correct this but i naturally just shoot better by tracking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts