Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Any chance your hitting the brake? I've read that there should be very little change in poi.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wonder what's going on? 1.6 mil is close to 5 / 5.5" at 100 yards, if I'm doing the math right. Is it straight vert drop? As in huge speed velocity loss? I can't wrap my mind around that much drop at a 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Any chance your hitting the brake? I've read that there should be very little change in poi.
No chance.. The id of the brake is .25-30 over, and looking at it, there is no damage what so ever.

That sounds like a lot. Couple of thoughts on why. First is that the weight of the brake is changing rifle balance enough to change POI due to different reaction under recoil. Second would be a change in barrel harmonics. Nice stiff barrels don't notice extra weight at the muzzle as much as others. Shifting weight with bipod position (if used) or adding some weight in the buttstock may be an option.

If handloading, may require a new workup for the "with brake mode" and the usual for "without brake". Every rifle is going to be different due to all the variables involved. Total weight, barrel length/weight, Stock, Bedding, Weight Distribution, Ammo (bullet weight/speed), Shooter position, etc. No way to say absolutely that a brake won't change POI.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
It is a lot. BUT, the proof is in the pudding right? I ran an OCW yesterday around what I thought was a good load. Turns out, 43.5 grains of Varget was a pretty good load, but 43.3 has less vertical dispersion and still fit the good load parameters IAW the OCW method.

Anyways, velocity was the same as before, no baffle strikes, accuracy seems to be unaffected, just that huge POI shift. I'm pretty sure it was just a barrel harmonics type thing, especially since the brake weighs quite a bit and is sitting at the end of a 26" factory 700P barrel.

The pudding: heading to a LR match this weekend. If I don't come in in the top 3, the brake is coming off and that is that.

adding weight: not an option, the rifle is at the upper limits already, weighing 17 lbs +

·
Registered
97 Posts
GMinor, every rifle I have, with a brake, has a 2 - 3 in. shift when the brake is installed or taking off. The SPS Tactical AAC-SD that I had re-barreled, before it was re-barreled, had a 7" shift in POI to POA. But there was something wrong with that barrel. Wouldn't group under 2" at 100. 1,000 + rounds of every bullet type I own, two different powders and tweaking everything every which way I could and it wouldn't improve. Put the Bartlein barrel on it and wallah 1/4" groups at 100.

I wish I had found these brakes two yeas ago. I was looking for a good clamp-on for my 30-06 sporter barrel but couldn't find one. I had the barrel threaded. Since I re-stocked it I don't use the brake anymore. Would be nice not to have the threads / thread protector on the end.

I'm thinking about getting one of thees for my .223 bold gun just for $$$it's and giggles. We'll see!

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Yeah, if anything it was worth the $$$ for the real world lesson in barrel harmonics. The military discount and free shipping didn't hurt either.

Anyways. It does as advertised and it reduced recoil. Will have a better report than that on Sunday or Monday.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Anybody want to buy the brake?

rifle is going to the smith for a new tube and I won't need it anymore.

Its ts profiled for a factory 700p SPS v barrel

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
My 26" sps-v dropped 4" at 100 when i screw my 1lb suppressor on. Anything on the muzzle changes the harmonics and therefore the poi. If you watch a high speed video of a barrel whipping, then you will understand why something at the end will change poi. It is amazing how much the barrels move.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do gun nuts go bat-**** crazy when someone refers to a magazine as a "Clip" but remain totally silent when a muzzle BRAKE is called a "break"?

Must be all that voice recognition software out there that doesn't know the difference, right?:cool:
Because whether someone says brake or break it sounds like "brake". When someone says clip when they mean magazine it shows they either don't know the difference or don't care. I've explained the difference, even hung up a picture showing the difference and a coworker still says "clips" for magazines. It's just irritating.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Because whether someone says brake or break it sounds like "brake". When someone says clip when they mean magazine it shows they either don't know the difference or don't care. I've explained the difference, even hung up a picture showing the difference and a coworker still says "clips" for magazines. It's just irritating.
Too many WWII movies!! But I hear it less from video game ninjas.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I am still a little bit "on the fence" as to whether I'll put a brake on my .308 but if I do, I now know where I'll be buying it. Businesses who treat their customers like this are the ones I like to give my money to.

Well, I got off the fence. Bought a "clamp on" brake from Ken. He shipped it within a week of ordering and even with Christmas Mail, it arrived in short order.

The brake was EXACTLY as expected and he machine work to fit my barrel taper (what little there is) was perfect. Slipped right on when I fitted it. Added the loctite, leveled the top of the brake, torqued the screws and then waited a day before hitting the range.

I had just shot the rifle 3 days before and knew exactly what my POI was for the ammo I took. The POI shift was exactly one inch down and 1/2 Inch Right. Funny thing about that, it brought my scope right back to where I had once zeroed it earlier but had changed during the last load workup.

The POI shifted all right but the groups actually shrunk. Best group of the day @100 yards was .192" and the worst .318". Best of all, groups that had opened up were "shooter problems". The Vertical spread was just about one bullet diameter for each of 10 groups.

I usually shoot about 50 rounds through the .308 in a session. After yesterday's session my shoulder felt more like I'd just finished 50 rounds of .223 through my SPS-Tac.

Every shot was nice and comfortable with the target remaining visible throughout the recoil. No more "bipod bounce".

As for my fellow shooters griping about me having a brake in my rifle? Even when I warned the shooter next to me that I was shooting with a brake he responded that it wasn't much different than when I shot without one.

I highly recommend this brake from Witt Machine for anyone that doesn't have a threaded barrel or have one threaded. Looks a lot like a "flattened" brake from a TRG-22 with one more side port. I also like the small holes on top that keep the muzzle down on recoil.

I'm real picky when it comes to proper fit for something like this. Not just how it fits the outside of the barrel but also the alignment with the bore. Using the closest thing I had to a "range rod" I inserted through the installed brake and into the bore. I then observed how uniform the clearance was at the front opening of the brake and as far as I could tell it was perfectly centered. After firing 50 rounds the "proof" was in the uniform distribution of "soot" around the opening. If the brake had been misaligned it would have left wider deposits on one side than on the other. Using a caliper it was impossible to discern any variation in "soot ring".

The final proof was on the target. To see how the brake affected barrel harmonics I fired a few groups that had charge weights above and below my "accurate" load. The changes in group size were far less dramatic than when I shot these same loads before adding the brake. It appears that the extra weight actually "mellows out" the barrel harmonics which could be a boon to those that shoot only factory ammo.

Did I mention that I really like this brake?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
One thing I would still like to try on my .308 is something a Levang Compensator, unfortunately they are only made for .223

If you have not seen one, it's not really a brake in the conventional sense because all the "holes" are in the front as opposed to the sides. What this does is more or less "push the noise" forward which does very little to reduce muzzle jump. But it is rather effective in reducing noise at the shooters position which is something I find very helpful on some ranges where you are shooting under cover (which tends to trap and magnify noise).

·
Registered
6 Posts
My advise to anyone thinking of purchasing a Bolt on Muzzle Brake is to stay away I'm lucky to by here to tell my story to you. I just recently purchased a Bolt on muzzle Brake from a leading seller _ _ _ _ machine I was told by not to use there name but let me tell my story. I purchased the bolt on muzzle brake for my marlin Bolt action stainless 270 and mounted the bolt on muzzle brake two days later I went to me local gun range to try out the new bolt on muzzle brake as some as I pulled the gun out the reaction from people was not good one guy told his shooting partner to get all there guns back that's a bolt on and there a piece of **** get back he said its going to blow off. I'm thinking to myself what have I purchased its not get good reviews here. I told the guy shoot next to me on the other side to get back. thinking what could happen I've seen people on YouTube using them so I set up for my first shoot and held on and fired off the first round the shoot was way high and to the right the guy to the left said dam did you see the blast out of that its a good thing we moved are guns I set up for the next shoot a pulled off the second round off it kick hard and I here "there it goes" I told you it would blow off it landed about 18 yards out. It scratched the end of my barrel pretty good the range master came over to see what all the excitement was all about. I'm so lucky the gun barrel didn't blow up in my face or blow up and kill one of the other shooter. i say Stay away from Bolt on Muzzle Brakes its not worth you life!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, Gizmo here. I was in the market for a muzzle brake for my .300 Win. Mag. I talked to a gunsmith who promptly told me $300.00.
A little more than I was planning to spend...I found a place on line called Witt Machine, that manufactures clamp on muzzle brakes.
His price was $89.00. I sent him the measurements of my barrel and in just over a week it was in my mail box. A very well made,
solid stainless steel piece that with shipping was right at a hundred bucks. I installed it. The next day went to the range, recoil is
greatly reduced, as well as muzzle jump. Not only that. I shot a 3 shot group at a hundred yards that I can cover with a penny.
It seems that not too often in this world today that you get what you pay for, but in this instance I certainly did. I would
definitely recommend Witt Machine's clamp on muzzle brake to anyone who looking for a lower cost muzzle brake....
My advise to anyone thinking of purchasing a Bolt on Muzzle Brake is to stay away I'm lucky to by here to tell my story to you. I just recently purchased a Bolt on muzzle Brake from a leading seller _ _ _ _ machine I was told by not to use there name but let me tell my story. I purchased the bolt on muzzle brake for my marlin Bolt action stainless 270 and mounted the bolt on muzzle brake two days later I went to me local gun range to try out the new bolt on muzzle brake as some as I pulled the gun out the reaction from people was not good one guy told his shooting partner to get all there guns back that's a bolt on and there a piece of **** get back he said its going to blow off. I'm thinking to myself what have I purchased its not get good reviews here. I told the guy shoot next to me on the other side to get back. thinking what could happen I've seen people on YouTube using them so I set up for my first shoot and held on and fired off the first round the shoot was way high and to the right the guy to the left said dam did you see the blast out of that its a good thing we moved are guns I set up for the next shoot a pulled off the second round off it kick hard and I here "there it goes" I told you it would blow off it landed about 18 yards out. It scratched the end of my barrel pretty good the range master came over to see what all the excitement was all about. I'm so lucky the gun barrel didn't blow up in my face or blow up and kill one of the other shooter. i say Stay away from Bolt on Muzzle Brakes its not worth you life!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Muzzle Brake

Hello, Gizmo here. I was in the market for a muzzle brake for my .300 Win. Mag. I talked to a gunsmith who promptly told me $300.00.
A little more than I was planning to spend...I found a place on line called Witt Machine, that manufactures clamp on muzzle brakes.
His price was $89.00. I sent him the measurements of my barrel and in just over a week it was in my mail box. A very well made,
solid stainless steel piece that with shipping was right at a hundred bucks. I installed it. The next day went to the range, recoil is
greatly reduced, as well as muzzle jump. Not only that. I shot a 3 shot group at a hundred yards that I can cover with a penny.
It seems that not too often in this world today that you get what you pay for, but in this instance I certainly did. I would
definitely recommend Witt Machine's clamp on muzzle brake to anyone who looking for a lower cost muzzle brake....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bolt on Muzzle Brake

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
So "Bolt Action Man", what brand of Muzzle Brake do YOU sell?

I have the very same brake you trashed so "unconvincingly" and couldn't be happier with it. I shoot with some pretty accomplished individuals (a National Hi-Power champ and a World Record holder in BR Unlimited). They all just sit there and shoot their own rifles, occasionally remarking how well it performs on my rifle and is acting like a Barrel Tuner. They feel no need to "get their guns back out of the way".

If you story is true (and I doubt any of it is) then I'd suggest that you never buy anything that you have to install yourself. It's clear that one of two things are true. You either can't read or you don't know how to operate a simple allen wrench.

Of course there's another possibility ------ That you're just another troll.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts