Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Here's a couple pics of a mauser I'm gonna build pretty soon, something that started off as talking with a few guys here like Spade and Deadcenter26 and deciding this was the way to go...Mlammers has been walking me through it and pretty much making it possible too.

This whole place is one classy joint for someone who never built a rifle before to learn what he needs to...

So far as a newb to it, the problems I have ran into are pretty simple. Knowing mauser actions helps, as to the dimensions, what cartridges a standard bolt can take, what parts are available to each, etc. Snags like a military bolt shroud not clearing the side saftety of a trigger, searching for parts, etc. Also, I'm picking up fast on what machining work will need to be done, working with wood and tons of other stuff...Its pretty damn fun though.

Here's a pic of what I have together so far. Its an FN 1952 action with Leupold bases and a 6.5x284 barrel the owner said was shot out...Gonna have a closer look at that...A Timney featherweight deluxe trigger, a Douglas air gaged premium No 7 contour barrel.

Any input anyone has or just comments sure are welcome. I'll keep ya posted as things develop and give a newb's eye view on the proceedings.

That bolt in the pic isn't the one I'm using, as Mlammers is actually making me one and polishing it himself, along with a bunch of other work on it...And the stock will be a Richards Mircofit, but in a target style with a wide forearm. Optics so far look like they will be a Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hey guys, I think his will be a better shooter than mine, I will get some pics of the bolt up in the morning. I wanted to thank all you guys for spurring me on to try a custom project as well.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, but not with me behind it lol.

Gotta say, this place makes it possible...And to think, I thought I knew a lot before I found SC...

When I get the rest of the parts, and that bolt, I'll show em off with some pics of it in the action.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
hell man, we dont need much.... just full length video of 1900 yard shots in the standing unsupported position breaking asprins

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Tubb to see if he could come over and do just that but he said he is too busy...He said it should be easy though, but he would rather we use iron sights :p

Kiddin all

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Here are pics of the bolt for Muzzles Rifle. Mauser 98 Bolt, I polished out the bolt, and modified the shroud to make it clear the side safety on his timney trigger. I have a little polishing left to go on some of the tight areas of the shroud, I will dissassemble the bolt tonight to make it easier to get at the areas I have left to go. The handle was bent by heat forging, and the spring was changed out for one my smith liked better, as was the firing pin. I cleaned up the extractor, and that is where I am at so far.

Hope you like it Muzzleblast.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats beautiful...I really, really love it.

Can't wait to see how it looks on the rifle...Did you get my PM about the bolt from about a half hour ago? So tired I forgot if I even sent it...Off to bed for a nap...

Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a confession to make. Back around 1989, I had a chance to buy a Husqvarna .270. The Swedes built these rifle around FN actions.

When I see Muzzleblast's rifle, I feel bad. My conscience troubles me. I wish I had an FN Mauser.

Mad

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I know what you mean MAD, I like the looks of that action, it is very nice looking. My mauser is in 270, and I cant wait to shoot her, hopefully in the morning. I have the cope on the action and the final coat of finish is drying so hoping against hope to get the boresighting in and get the range on Friday.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That bolt polished up so nice I can actually see Mlammers in it lol. Check out the knob. When that thing goes in the action, its gonna look great and really add to the whole look of the rifle.

I lucked out with that action guys, the pics don't do it justice. Sometimes, things just work out perfectly like that...And theres a lot of things from a lot of other SC folk going into it, even if it was just advice on the rate of twist or what kind of trigger to use, or pointing me towards parts.

What do ya think, fantastic bolt though, eh?

MAD, I know what you mean too, I can't believe some of the things I passed up because theres always one particular rifle I just gotta have...If you want though, I'm sure you have more sources than me, but I can put the call out that someone wants an FN Mauser and let you know what comes up. There used to be a really nice one for sale before I even knew what an FN Mauser is...My action was only $200 Canuck.

Stock is being ordered tomorrow, hope it comes in fast! I'm paranoid about having to wait 10 weeks for it.

Thanks all.

Ah, Mlammers...Hope you get to the range tomorrow, a guy can dream.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wait until ya see the colour scheme we picked out for it!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hey lets get it right on the bald man part, it is receding with a High and Tight hair cut, but mor orless balding I guess :D

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mlammers said:
Hey lets get it right on the bald man part, it is receding with a High and Tight hair cut, but mor orless balding I guess :D
Don't wory man, I feel your pain.................. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bah, its a sign of high testosterone levels right guys? Hoo-aah!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Looking very good! I am planning on some of these projects myself, after seeing all the stuff on this site. I'm going to wait until I get a Curio and Relic license first.

John

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Here is the finished product, I wish I had done this on mine(I suppose I still can), it looks sooo nice. I parkerized the shroud and all its parts,and the extractor. I left the parts in the park solution for about 22 minutes, which gave them a nice even dark grey(ok really black I guess) that contrasts the polished body and cocking piece, and really sets off the bolt.

I prepped the parts with an acid bath, and then degreased them, after coming out of the parkerizing, they were neutralized, and then bathed twice in oil. After wiping dry, I rubbed them down with grease and wiped dry two times. Now as long as they are kept oiled or even better lightly greased, they will wear very well, and never rust. Muzzleblast has a very attractive and durable bolt that will surely turn heads, and fit well with that cutom Mauser he is building.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats smokin' hot man!

I knew it would look great but thats even better than what I had in mind. Thanks a lot...Can't wait until its in my mailbox.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Glad to hear you like it, Cant wait to see it in that Mauser of yours. My wife and kids headed up her house for the St Patricks Day parade in our home town, so I have the night to play. Gonna go shoot a few rounds later probably the new rifle, the pistol and maybe my dane M1.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts