Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a review of another Spartan Rifle built by Marc Soulie. http://www.spartanrifles.com/

First I would like to thank Marc for putting this NCPPRC Club Build together. This is my first custom built rifle so I got a lot of input from other club members which really helped out. Here are the stats:

Surgeon RSR Action
Timney Trigger
McMillan A3 Stock with KMW Loggerhead adjustable cheek piece in Desert Camo
Bartlein Barrel
Barrel Caliber 6.5 Chambered for 260 Remington
Twist Rate 1-8.5
Finish Length 26
Contour 7 MTU
Badger M5 detachable magazine bottom metal
Phantom Finishing Cerakote http://www.phantomfinishing.com/

First impressions are hard to describe. I was jacked up like a six year old on Christmas morning and the best part was knowing that I got exactly what I wanted.

I am really glad I got the A3 stock instead of the A5 which was an option that others chose. The stock feels really natural in both the offhand and prone positions. The stock also rides really well on a rear sock/beanbag. The stocks Desert Pattern is very attractive as is Todd Powers’ Cerakote finish on the barreled action and bottom metal.

I mounted a Nightforce 5.5-22 x 50 NXS, loaded up some various loads using Berger, Lapua, Norma, and Sierra bullets and H4350 and went to the range for barrel break-in and load development . Like I stated earlier this is my first custom and was completely surprised on how easy it is to clean this barrel. My break-in procedure only took ten rounds. I shot one and cleaned, shot two and cleaned, shot three and cleaned, and then shot 4 and cleaned. It now takes less than 10 patches and 10 minutes to clean the rifle, even after 50 to 60 rounds. WOW, no more marathon cleaning sessions. I used the ladder method to come up with 2 possible loads, one using 123 Scenars and H4350 and the other using 139 Scenars and H4350. Both loads produced groups of 1.4 inches or less at 300 yards. I’m not sure which load I will use because I haven’t had a chance to get out past 300 yards yet.
Update. I’ve now been able to test both loads out to 1000 yards and both shoot great. The 139’s were better in the wind but the 123’s actually shot flatter.

Fit and finish is excellent. I've had reason to remove the action from the stock several times and each time the zero is less than 1/2 MOA in any direction. The bolt is smooth and effortless in action. I really love the Timney trigger. It is wide enough for a great feel on the finger pad and breaks cleanly and consistently. I couldn't ask for more.

The only problem I've had so far is that when people ask me about the gun I don't have any of Marc's business cards to hand out.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Congrats on the sweeet stick! More pic's please. What color is the barrel and action is that FDE? Why was the reason to take the action/barrel out of the stock multiple times? What brass do you use? That barrel/twist will favor the 139 Sceaners, I have the same in my GAP .260
Good shooting and enjoy.
Sully

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the action out of the stock because I'm anal about some things. When I first got the rifle I mounted the scope, went to the range and got a zero. Then I decided to check the bedding and re-torque the action so that was once and then twice more after the next 2 shooting sessions just to check to see if the zero would shift much.

I am currently using Winchester .243 brass (re-sized) and haven't had any concerns with neck/shoulder donuts.

I will try to take some more and hopefully better pictures this weekend then re-post.

Sam

·
Registered
999 Posts
Silent Sam said:
I took the action out of the stock because I'm anal about some things. When I first got the rifle I mounted the scope, went to the range and got a zero. Then I decided to check the bedding and re-torque the action so that was once and then twice more after the next 2 shooting sessions just to check to see if the zero would shift much.

I am currently using Winchester .243 brass (re-sized) and haven't had any concerns with neck/shoulder donuts.

I will try to take some more and hopefully better pictures this weekend then re-post.

Sam
Sounds good.

~Reagan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some updated info and a couple more pictures.

I took the Spartan out again this morning after I adjusted my Scenar 123 loads. I shortened the OAL so it has a .015 jump and reduced the powder charge to 44.1 gr of H4350.

Here's the results at 300 yds, 0.80"

And here a couple more views of the rifle.

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

Sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW, great rifle!

I grew up in the East Bay, it's exciting to see that there are such great companys right there in Concord!! I'm moving back in a couple months. Are you in the Bay area? If so, where are you shooting?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1USD said:
WOW, great rifle!

I grew up in the East Bay, it's exciting to see that there are such great companys right there in Concord!! I'm moving back in a couple months. Are you in the Bay area? If so, where are you shooting?

Thanks!

Rob
I live in Sacramento and shoot at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center as do a lot of Marc's customers. Give Marc a call with any of your rifle needs and look us up at NCPPRC.com

Sam

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey I go there sometimes! Its probably the nicest range in the area, definitely blows Lincoln and Cordova Shooting center out of the water. When do you find yourself going there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6.5man said:
Hey I go there sometimes! Its probably the nicest range in the area, definitely blows Lincoln and Cordova Shooting center out of the water. When do you find yourself going there?
I go there a lot. I am a member of Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club (NCPPRC) and we have a long range match the first Sunday of every month. We usually have a practice day the Saturday before the match and everyone is welcome. We shoot from 200 yards and work out to 1000 yards. Take a look at our website http://www.ncpprc.com/ to find more info on matches and practices.

Sam

·
Registered
550 Posts
Silent Sam said:
[quote="6.5man":s76lo4fh]Hey I go there sometimes! Its probably the nicest range in the area, definitely blows Lincoln and Cordova Shooting center out of the water. When do you find yourself going there?
I go there a lot. I am a member of Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club (NCPPRC) and we have a long range match the first Sunday of every month. We usually have a practice day the Saturday before the match and everyone is welcome. We shoot from 200 yards and work out to 1000 yards. Take a look at our website http://www.ncpprc.com/ to find more info on matches and practices.

Sam[/quote:s76lo4fh]
Oh cool! I didn't even know that existed, I'll have to check it out once I get my rifle completed.

/hijack :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Sacramento and shoot at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center as do a lot of Marc's customers. Give Marc a call with any of your rifle needs and look us up at NCPPRC.com
Absolutely! I'm headed back to the Sac valley area in September. I'm currently waiting for a Remington 700 5R .308 to come in and a Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14x50 and I need a place to shoot! It's my first long range rifle :) my friend also just got a Barrett in .416 with a nice Leupold to go on top and I know he's dying to get it out of the box to somewhere it can "breath"... We'll see you guys soon!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice rifle Sam.......and very nice shooting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts