Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this week couldn't have gone any better. First off I scored the last touchdown of my schools football season. Then, the day after, I shot my first two deer. Even though they were both only does, it was still a really fun time for me. Next week I plan on going back to get that buck.

The first does I took was at about 70 yards. She came up to the fence and jumped over it, then I waited for a clear shot then I took it. She was dead before she hit the ground. First shot and a clean kill. The next does came by about 40 minutes to and hour later. There were two does behind the fence and two does walking my way along the fence. So there were four deer in my scope, I waited until I saw one in the clear and then took the shot. My grandfather said she maybe did one hop, then hit the ground. Two shots two kills. Pretty good for a beginner.

By the way, I was using my brand new Ruger M77 Mark II in 6.5 Sweddish, which was topped off with a Leupold VX-II 2-7X33.

Here is the pic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice deer, good eats too.

I've got about 50lbs of venison from my archery buck this year, I've eaten maybe 10 of it within the last month. I think I need to fill my other tag :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
**singing** It was a very good year . . . **singing**

Way to go. I killed my first a few years ago. Terrible shot! I aimed for the heart and hit the butt :lol: ! And that was an INSAINLY short range shot. But I've learned alot since then and have gotten alot better.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, what I'm using is Hornady 129 grain SST Light Magnum. The unfortunate thing about it is that I don't belive Hornady is making that ammo any more. So I bought the two boxes that I could find. And hope I can find more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well nice shooting. well it looks like everyone does better an i do(lol). ive only ever seen one legal deer in seasson. One advantage for Texans, you dont have to wear all the heavy colthing while hunting deer. lucky you Tewxans are. I wont forget my first deer(doe). Keep up the good work harvest iing and keeping the herd low and for those who drive the insurance rates low(you can ask).

Sincerely,
Rick

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this Friday I'm going back to the same place to try and get that buck. The guy said there are two or three bucks and one of them is a nice six pointer. So hopefully I'll get me one. I'm going to go clean my guns.

·
Registered
108 Posts
very nice kills morpheus
but remember those does wont make a buck for you to kill next year and if you kill a small spike it wont grow up to be an 8 point
but congrats on your first deer mine was a doe too
she walked about 20 feet with no heart and lungs
i wonder how she did that
p.s. and if you kill it grill it thats the law ...or should be anyways
and what part of texas are you from im in monroe la here

1 - 15 of 15 Posts