Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
man... I never thought I would feel emotional when I saw one of my rifles in someone elses care.... guess you build an attachment when you work on them with your own hands, and fire them, etc.

WPR - Its for guys like you that I came up with the "pay as you go" plan. :D

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Hey, I love the .30-06, it does everything the .308 does, and more. :D good caliber. Drews rifle has a 1:10" twist, so I would love to see some handloads with 190gr Matchkings or 175's pushed at a decent clip. But even for factory loads, the 168gr Fed Match is a good load for the -06. Though I would certainly try other factory loads like federal 165gr ballistic tip, fed 165 and 180 Nosler Solid base BT, Winchester 180gr Supreme Accubond, 180gr ballistic silvertip, 168 ball silvertip, etc etc. There are a LOT of good long range loads out there for -06.

The barrel is NOT chrome lined, the flash just caught a weird reflection, I notived it when I saw it also. Its a chromemoly (all SC rifles are) with teflon finish.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
yep, .5 MOA with good ammo. Drews rifle still needs a good break in before serious groups are shot. But preliminary site in and function check got me right now around .5 with fed match.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
No, this scope does not have an adjustable objective, which can lead to some focus issues for close in targets. The repeatability of the adjustments is good. The one area I can see where they cut costs is the fact that there is no provision for a sun shade.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Most .308 match barrels are either 1:10 or 1:12 (the M-24 barrel is 1:12.25).
Probably a typo, but to be sure no in correct information gets put out there:

The M24 barrel is 1:11.2 (or 11.25 depending on who you ask). This rate of twist was experimented and determined to be the optimal for the 173gr M118 projectile. The M118LR (175gr) seems to like it as well.

Because of this, the popularity of 1:11" twist barrels has been on the rise, though there is no perceived advantage of going with a 1:11" over a 1:10"

MEL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.