Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just wanted to post a picture of my new Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker. I got it sighted in today and shot a roo in the heart with it for the dogs. I just love it.

I originally had a Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50 illuminated but after coming to this site for advice I managed to return it for a full refund and picked up this Vortex PST 6-24 FFP. After having both scopes briefly I love the Vortex so much more so thanks to those who gave me the good advice. I know it's not exactly a precision rifle but while I am still waiting on my Tikka T3x Super Varmint .223 1:8 twist I just thought I would post a picture of it.

I could have gone with something different with more aftermarket options but there was just something about the Browning and I just had to get it. It's nice and light for if I want to carry it around hunting and I still have the option of some long range shots with the Vortex Viper scope.

Does anybody know what kind of ammo the X-Bolt generally prefers as a bit of a guide? I know every rifle is different but I noticed that some makes do prefer some ammo more than others. Eventually I plan on reloading this thing and am hoping I can get it to 0.5 MOA but we'll see. I don't think it is that unrealistic considering that they generally can shoot 0.75 MOA with factory ammo that they like.

IMG_20170225_180003.jpg

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Nice looking rifle.

If you are not a hand loader (yet) I'd start by buying a box of the best 175 gr factory ammo you can find as well as a box of 168 gr from the same brand. Don't know what's readily available to you but I would look for something from Federal or Hornady if possible. Most .308's will shoot one or the other of those bullet weights very well. When you find which one, then build your hand loading around that same combination. Just use target bullets for your paper shooting and hunting bullets for game.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks man. I probably should have came here to ask what kind of ammo to get first. I got four boxes of 150 grain. Some of it was cheap. I got Sellier and Bellot, one box of Hornady, Outback Australia and some other cheap PPU. Is it worth keeping the brass from the cheap stuff to reload or should I only really bother with the better quality brass from Hornady or Federal? I'll look into what kind of 168 grain ammo I have available but I'm sure I'll find some of what you mentioned.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would just use the cheap stuff to get acquainted with the rifle and break it in. As for reloading the brass, I will reload about anything as long as it is safe. My hunting loads have recycled ppu, bha, and hornady brass. When I'm loading my 1000 yard loads I try to stick with all the same head stamp and lot of brass so it's as uniform as possible. I'm not sure what all is available to you so it's hard for me to tell you exactly what to try.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
You can start with the cheap stuff you have. Don't expect great results. A lot of cheap ammo can't hold 2 moa out of a quality rifle. You really need to clean the barrel thoroughly when you switch bullet type and then let it season to the new bullet before you will really see what It is capable of. I would season for 20 rounds before I got real serious about seeing what a new kind of bullet would do.

If you are hunting and target shooting with different ammo the you will want to clean and season between every time if you are really serious. If 3/4 moa groups are tight enough for you then you probably won't need to worry about it.

If you want a billet capable of target shooting and hunting the 175 smk's are a good bullet. They will punch a very nice size hole in deer and no doubt would work for other game too.

As far as brass goes...again it depends how tight of groups you really want. If 3/4 moa is plenty for you than most anything will work. If you want sub 1/2 moa then you will want to pay attention to every detail including brass. I would buy a box of lapua and not worry about mixed once fired brass if I were you.

Then again...your rifle with the best handloads might not ever do better than 3/4 moa in which case it won't matter much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, as a new shooter looking to get into the sport all of this stuff is really helpful to me. I did a lot of shooting as a kid with a slug gun hunting pigeons with open sights, and did a lot of roo shooting with a 22 as well. I really used to enjoy it but for some reason I never really took it much further. Now I am really looking to make this my hobby and learn as much as I can. It really helps that I live on a cattle property with an abundance of wild life. Combined my father and grandfather have about 20,000 acres here. There are deer, pigs, roos, goats, foxes, rabbits and the odd cat.

I figured that this 308 is a good rifle for me to practice my ability with a larger caliber, whilst maintaining a decent amount of practicality for when I do go hunting. I doubt very much that I will be able to out shoot this rifle for quite some time, but my Tikka 223 Super Varmint I ordered is a 1 in 8 twist and should be more than capable of satisfying my needs for a long time to come.

millege, the scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with MRAD and EBR- 2C reticle. For the price I think it is really hard to beat. I do believe that there is a discount on these from some sites now due to the upcoming release of the PST Gen 2's. The Gen 1 for me was more suitable for this rifle to try and keep the weight down. It is about 10 ounces lighter than the PST Gen 2 5-25 and considerably cheaper.

I'm going to be getting a Gen 2 5-25 for my Tikka T3X Super Varmint. I was strongly considering the Burris XTR-2 5-25 but the Gen 2 PST 5-25 is considerably cheaper since I got it on discount from opticsplanet.com and I just love my current Vortex. I hope you enjoy your Remington.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just posting here because I tested some different ammunition in my rifle from 100 yards.

165gr Australian Outback Sierra SBT GameKing ammunition: 0.9 MOA.
150gr Hornady SP American Whitetail: 0.5 MOA!
150gr PPU SP 2 inches. Terrible ammo for this rifle...
150gr Sellier and Bellot SP 1.5 MOA

This test just shows that you get what you pay for. I was very impressed with the Hornady ammo. The 165gr Sierra you could say shot pretty well also for a factory rifle. The other two were just terrible in my Browning and I think I'm just going to use them for hunting under 100 yards.

For some reason the Sellier and Bellot ammo shot around an inch lower and an inch and a half further to the left with its groupings. I tested this more than all the other ammo because it intrigued me. I will do further testing with the Hornady ammunition and hopefully it will yield me similar results.

Does anybody have any recommendations on what I should test out with my first hand loads? I'm going to pick up some reloading gear really soon. I was thinking of just getting the Hornady kit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thats good shooting from a factory gun. Most brownings are nice right from the factory. The 150's would do you fine for light-medium game. As with all hunting, shot placement becomes more critical if your trying to take larger game. For pumching paper or steel at longer ranges you will eventually start looking at heavier bullets as they will do better at extended ranges. For reloading, i started out a couple years ago with the hornady single stage lnl kit and it has done me well. Its perfect for a beginner and is plenty consistent. Spend the money on quality dies and powder measures to help you make the best ammo possible. I load everything on my single stage and it has done just fine, probably 6k-7k pistol rounds and 2k-3k rifle rounds. You wont be disappointed with the hornady kit.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
This test just shows that you get what you pay for.
I can appreciate what you are saying. It applies to just about everything. However, every once in a while there are some surprises.

This last Sunday I was anxious to shoot some rounds through my barrel (6.5 CM) and since I hadn't loaded anything for it yet I just grabbed a couple boxes of American Eagle 140gr (Federal's "Economy Brand") from my nearby Cabela's. Shot a few rounds in the shoot/clean/repeat tradition for a new barrel. Then loaded up and shot 5 rounds of the American Eagle.

Result was a group of 4 measuring exactly .236" (the 5th was dead on in the center circle of an A-26 NRA Target". Sometimes there are surprises out there.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Nice rifle! Any reason you mounted the scope mounts in different directions? (I usually put both mounting screws on the same side.)

It looks like a redfield style mount, thd front is a dove tail that twists in and the rear has a screw on each side that you can centef you scope with.

Cliffy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice rifle! Any reason you mounted the scope mounts in different directions? (I usually put both mounting screws on the same side.)
Thanks man, I love it. Yeah it works the way Cliffy said. They are Leupold rings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love the Australian outback 168 smk. They shoot better than I can hold the gun in a prone pos. And here in the states they are 20$ a box. Can't beat that. I bought 100rnds so I can load the ADI brass back up after they have been shot. ADI is supposed to be ok brass. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts