Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally arrived yesterday, my new Barrett M82A1 along with 600 rds of Barrett M33 ball ammo and a pelican case. This thing is in all words a true beast. That is a new IOR 6-24X56 ffp mil/mil sitting on top I installed last night, I really like the mp-8 modified reticle and the glass is crisp and clear and the turrets are positve,large and low profile. The fit and finish is typical military and all metal but it's not meant to be elligant and weighing in at 29lbs without scope, rings or full mag it's a porker, "pick a spot and plant it" and let em rip. I can't wait to get this thing out and see what it will do but with this ammo I suspect around 1.5 MOA @ best but I didn't buy it for accuracy anyway. Do you really need a M82A1 probably not but... do you want one---YES. It's close enough to the M107 my Marine son shot and I'm VERY HAPPY :D

They maybe not everyones pick but The deal on this was to good to pass up so she's mine!
Sully

·
Registered
382 Posts
That is a very nice rifle!! And you'll love that new IOR. I have the new 3-18 and am thoroughly impressed with it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You, A friend on the forum ask me how big the elk get here and I told him BIG really really BIG! :lol:
Sully

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would have told him it was so I could hunt in Utah from Colorado :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
Your Barrett looks awesome! It will be a blast to shoot! Show us some pictures of the range time!

·
Registered
39 Posts
:O Holy **** That is one nice rifle!

I can never get anything even close to that... Thanks for that Sweden! :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Damn... that is one awesome piece of mechanical craftsmanship. I bet you wish it could talk.
I can hardly wait to see range pics too. Lets' stretch that distance out to a 1000 yards and see what it will do to a 55 gal drum full of water! LoL
Beautiful as usual.

Lets see... 600 rounds @ $3.00 ea. = $1,800.00
rifle with bi-pod and case included = $7,500.00

total cost... priceless fun

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Congrats Sully!

Calling that rifle a "Beast" is a bit of an understatement. Try climbing 12 stories with it, in the middle of summer, in stairwell with no AC. I would advice you to invest in a big bottle of "foamies" the disposable ear pro and keep it with your rifle. You need to make sure everyone around has their "ears" in when you shoot that best. Always wear eyepro, its not so bad if you are actaully shooting the rifle, but if you are spotting it can really throw the dust around. A 4'X4' piece of canvas under the barrel can help. You are not going to make friends shooting that at any range unless you let them shoot it. We would exhile the Barretts to another part of the range because their report was so bad. You can feel the concussion 25 yards away. The good news is there isn't much real recoil. Its more of a push, like a 12 guage shotgun. I can't wait to read about your first range report.

Best wishes,
Shane

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have a wonderful time with that exciting rifle. She looks awesome (adrenaline in a tube - be still my beating heart!!!!). Certainly keen to hear your thoughts and experiences re the first test launch! Congratulations indeed - enjoy every second of it.

Davy

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks it is fulfilling a part of a mission for me, and since I couldn't get a N107 it was the next best thing.
Shane:
I don't plan on carring this thing any further than 20ft. I look at this weapon as a far reaching defensive destruction piece of equipment, like I've said pick a strategic spot and plant it and send rounds down range. You are correct on the recoil feels like a 12 gauge going off and I have that 6x8 canvas to keep the debris down. I must say that I'm very impressed with this weapon in it's accuracy with Barrett ball ammo, 2 moa for the first time but I think it will do better with more trigger time. You are correct on the muzzle blast, it can be felt 25yds away it shakes the ground even inside the truck. The blast isn't bad when your shooting but if you are spotting DON'T stand to the side even within 10ft. my son and I wear Sordin pro's so our ears are safe but it will startle you when spotting within 3ft to either side.

Ghostwriter:
The fun part is priceless but... your pricing is to high, I got an excellent deal! Don't have a 55 gallon drum but we did shoot amour plate @ 1260yds, and will take it out to 2000yds soon.

Davy,
I must say that I was expecting allot more but since I shoot .338LM every other week it seamed quit tame except when spotting for my son and I quiclky changed my position with my Swarovski and tripod!

matt1,
We shoot very other week out in the "Grasslands" weather permitting and we can shoot 270 degrees for about 7-10 miles, let me know and we would be glad to have you tag along.

We have only taken it out twice, first day we put about 40 rounds down the tube just getting familiar @ 500yds @ milk jugs and amour plate (it was a blast). The second time we took her out to 1260 at amour plate in a 25mph crosswind, we only shot 10 rounds down range but managed to do fairly well. I will post pics of our silloette plate later but my IOR scope tracked perfect it is great glass(better than my N/F or Mark 4) and I have found out that I like mil/mil better than MOA it just seems to be easier for me to deal with. As far as FFPvs SFP I'm still up in the air on that one but more time with it will tell me, because my S&B is mil/mil FFP for my new custom. The M82A is a pretty remarkable weapon considering that nothing is bolted or bedded together and the barrel recoils, I find it quite amazing, right now I have managed about 2MOA but I think it will do better even with this ball ammo. Al in all I am very pleased with it but... I know (I) need more trigger time. Oh and yes the first outting I couldn't help myseft I squeezed 10 off as fast as I could just for fun! :lol:
Sully

·
Registered
119 Posts
It would be great to go shoot with you once, I would likly learn a thing or two. What part of the state you in? I'm up north of brighton.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
matt1 said:
It would be great to go shoot with you once, I would likly learn a thing or two. What part of the state you in? I'm up north of brighton.
Matt,
Check your PM's
Sully

1 - 15 of 15 Posts