Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 15 years of shooting, a year and a half of intense research, 6 months of heavy pursuit, and then of course, thanks to Mel and my FFL I finally have my rifle, my first rifle, Alessandra.

Setup-
FN SPR A1 .308 w/ 24"BBL
Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40
Burris Zee Rings 1" Med.
Harris BR Bi-Pod 6-9" w/ notches.

A couple of pictures...

Gosh I'm happy, got an extra mag and case as you can see. So far everything about her is perfect only two little annoyances: she came really dusty (darn foam), and then mags are a little tight to get in but seem to feed very well. Have a case of UMC, and hopefully I can get to the range tommorow, Tuesday at the lastest. So I should have some range pictures, although, Im not expecting anything too spectacular from the UMC ammunition. Feel free to ask any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Thanks all for helping me get there! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I like it, wish I had one like it. I like the name too. So it's your first rifle?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Looks great! Especially if thats your first rifle! Wish my first could have been along those lines.....

dom

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Congradulations, now get out and start putting her to good use!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ah yes....the classic "kitchen table" shot. :D
The sugar bowl is a nice addition. :wink:

VERY nice stick, my friend!!
Are you considering getting into reloading?

What type of rail is that? Zero cant?

Thanks for sharing!!
Congrats.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Dad was a gun smithing major so I've always had plenty around, this is the first rifle that I have purchased. Earned every penny lol... and that was lots of pennies.
Yeah Sorry about the picture, rather excited, my kitchen is under construction too... aside from sugar bowl you can see a tiny bit of my basalmic vinegar collection...
Not sure on the rail exactly, I'd guess FN manufacture. It's a single piece that's attached with 4 screws, labeled "FN SPECIAL POLICE RIFLE". Hard to say if it's a Burris or Leupold base if it is so.
Yes will definitly be reloading, I have this case of UMC to break her in with, then Im planning on going with Black Hills (168gr) and reusing the Win Brass with 168 (Maybe 175gr) SMKS, most likely will be using Varget and Fed 210Ms. I'll probably develop two loads; one for economical practice (Rem. Brass, FMJs,etc.) and one for my real target shooting (Win or Lap Brass, HPBTs, etc.). Thanks for the comments! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Oh, don't appologize for the kitchen table shot.
I was kidding.

Brings back those old memories when Dad and me had our weapons laying on the kitchen table and Mom was trying to serve breakfast. :D
That's way before people thought guns were a bad thing and educated others to believe that too... :cry:
Those were the days.........

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Heck, we were having a Muzz family supper today and all kindsa rifles were being passed around the table the same time as the food!

Great looking rig, Cowboy...I am sure she will shoot! I like the name too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
She is absolutely beautiful. Congrats man, I just got my first precision rifle bout a year ago. I still remember the feeling. Isnt it great?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
That is a great looking rifle. You'll be really plesed with her, FN makes a great rifle. What caliber is it (I'm assuming .308)?

By the way shouldn't this be in the gallery?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's in .308 indeed. Thanks guys, yes I'm very excited. Alright, Im off to the range now, be back with some pictures in a bit. Cheers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I hit the range today, was nice and hardly anyone was there. I was shooting quite well, unfortunately Alessandra wasn't quite...

Boresighted, first shot on paper, two more, then adjusted to my group. As I continued shooting I was having trouble getting anything tighter than 4", naturally I was growing a litte frustrated, especially as I was using a nice new Leupold on this rifle, and then just for fun I shot the .243 Win. and put 6 shots under 1 1/2 inches with an old 4x Weaver Redfield.

So I continued working to break in the BBL, cleaning, etc. my Dad was having exact same problems as I was with my rifle. We put the 150gr UMC down for a moment a put 10 185 Gr. Hawthorne Montgomery Wards brand...old, yet clean) no change. So finally we had to take off so I could get to work. Later tonight went through and entire check and found that at some point it appears my objective focus lock-ring came loose and the objective could jiggle a fair amount... problem solved?

Well Ill return to the range this Tuesday and keep the ring exceptionally tight, if this solves the problem (pleaseeeeeeeee :roll: ) then Ill apply some appropriate locktite. Ill post pictures hopefully Tuesday after I get my group under an inch :p . Cheers.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Later tonight went through and entire check and found that at some point it appears my objective focus lock-ring came loose and the objective could jiggle a fair amount... problem solved?
I guess that shouldn't be either!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Just curious, what is the barrel twist on that rifle?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Twist is a 1 in 12. Just ordered some Black Hills 168gr, that should be here soon so if the scope fix doesn't do it I can take the next step. Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts