Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as was indicated in another thread I just posted, I was up at my unknown distance shooting area with the bravo taking some pictures at 1000m. Well, I have been wanting to take my son long range shooting with me because he loves shooting, and its hard to find a shooting partner that can go when I go. So, I decided to try him out.

My son and I have a great relationship (I also have 3 girls which are wonderful also) and we had a blast shooting his new little .22 LR. He's getting pretty good for an eight year old. And since he is only 8, I didn't really have much hope that he would be able to help me out much, but hey, I figured it would at least be good to get him used to what I do.

So, I walked up the road and plopped myself down at around 700 or so meters (eye ball ranging). I then ran some rough calcs and dialed in 7 on the M3 BDC. We were shooting 168gr fed GMM, which isn't great at this range, but hey, it would have to do. The Bravo had the suppressor attached and I setup the spotting scope on the target and focused in and tried to explain to my son what trace might look like, but I knew that was probably not gonna amount to much. I guess the wind (it was shifting and tricky to read) and let off the first round (a miss). My son didn't see trace but he said there was a puff of smoke to the upper right. I dialed down one (MOA) and left one (.5 MOA) and let off the next one to receive a solid thong (hit). Now, we played with wind for the next several as it was shifting and we were not sure where we were hitting, but at the end of the little shoot, we hit 5 of 11 shots at 680 meters (743 yards) in some tricky canyon winds. My son never saw trace, but he did good enough and MOST IMPORTANTLY, we had a great time and lots of fun so that he wants to do it again.

Here is one picture:

Guys (and gals) get your kids enthusiastic about shooting, teach them respect for the surroudings, spend time with them, and our future will be brighter... not to mention, you may get a good spotter out of the deal :wink:

MEL

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congratulations on your new spotter. Looks like he is having a blast. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
524 Posts
And here I was thinking the only reason people had children was to have someone do the house work...... way to find a new use for them. :lol:

Seriously though....my dad used to take me shooting all the time.... I found some pictures of me hiking with and shooting his AR-15 A2..... I would swear the gun is bigger then I was.....awwww.... the memories.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Great job to both you. Looks like your son learned a lot and had a blast doing it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Sounds good, and you are right. We all need to get our kids out with us. I am planning on starting working with the 4H shooting programs soon. I have a daughter that is going on 7 and will be starting work towards competing soon. I have her working on safety drills now. I will begin soon with firing and positions. There are a ton of full ride scholarships that go unfilled for rifle shooting.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Its great that over there you can teach kids responsible firearm handling when they ae young.

How does a rifle shooting scholarship work? Does it give you a university place regardless of your academic ability?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yimmy said:
How does a rifle shooting scholarship work? Does it give you a university place regardless of your academic ability?
Generally US nonacademic scholarships give the student a free ride provided that they maintain a certain Grade point average and participate in the collegiate activity which they have the scholarship for.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Top stuff Mele.

Its great to see the kids get into and enjoy it. When they get older and lok back, those will be the times they cherrish the most.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! It really was an excellent day, we had a blast... picked up everything after ourselves, left no trace, and just flat out enjoyed the woods and time together.

Great idea on the 4H mlammers! And you are absolutely right, there are many shooting scholarships that are going unfullfilled.... thats a lot of potential money!

MEL

·
Registered
96 Posts
Longshot38 said:
Great job to both you. Looks like your son learned a lot and had a blast doing it.
+1

And here is a picture of my Daughter with the rifle Mel built for us. This is my first attempt at posting a picture so I hope it works.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Those remind me of some great times mel. Great pics guys......And mike, the pacifier, nice touch :lol:

dom

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Good deal Mel. Glad you guys got to have some fun.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
snowy said:
Glad to see you getting out of the house too. :wink:
Yes, it is nice!! Actually went shooting two days in a row last week... though I wont get out shooting at all this week :(

MEL

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
mlammers said:
Sounds good, and you are right. We all need to get our kids out with us. I am planning on starting working with the 4H shooting programs soon. I have a daughter that is going on 7 and will be starting work towards competing soon. I have her working on safety drills now. I will begin soon with firing and positions. There are a ton of full ride scholarships that go unfilled for rifle shooting.
My first shooting experience was in 4H with a .22 . Then I shot in Boy Scouts.

Guys/Gals, those two programs are the exact reason why I still retain an interest in shooting today. Think about how many other kids will get influenced if we become involved with the next generation.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Two very nice pictures guys ...... :D

Hey choppermike, aren't those Galati drag bag/shooting mats the shizzle?

I use mine every time I go for a shoot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts