Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my chineese 7.62x39 SKS, It has a B square scope mount on it that allows me to use my open sights still and I put on a bushnell 6x42 scope. It shoots well for a exmilitary rifle, I havnt had time to get a group yet but a friend of mine here hit a matchbox at 100meters off a bench at the local range.

I hunt alot of dense bush here in new zealand for big wild boars so i decided that the bsquare mount would be better as i can still use my open sights when the boars get mad and decide to charge. hehe and the scope is for those longer range shots. animals here are rearly shot over 200meters here as most of the island is covered in bush still.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Handy little rifle, isn't it? I have a chinese SKS too.

How big was that matchbox?

I've been thinkin about throwing some optics on mine too, curious to see how it would look/feel

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey

hey htere m8, umm id say hte match box was about 1.5 x 1.5" with norinco chinese ball ammo. the scope mount sits high but allows the open sights to be used, and holds its zero well. however the here hte scope sits could be a problem as i had to move it right foward to be able to get it to focus properly.

i an going to try and get ahold of some sort of shell deflector as the shells actually hit the bottom of the scope. its not too heavythough, the mount is made out of aircraft grade ali.

hope that helps m8.

ps ill take a few more pics for you, closer up of the mount ect.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here you go, and yes i forgot to say it is a very handy little rifle, i use it for everything from red deer to wild boar. ive even dropped a bull that got out of a friends farm a couple of years back, it had gone wild and i ran into it when shooting wallabies.

heres some other pics for you

A - This is hte screw that takes all the movement out of hte scope mount they are on both sides of the rear of the scope

B - This replaces the pin that holds the dust cover on, the one u push up then pull out to remove.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey thanks dude, good pics.

I'm really happy with my SKS, not the prettiest or most accurate rifle I own but for what I paid, I like it a lot. Carries nice and has adequate accuracy and punch to be a pick-up truck gun. Came in handy this summer when I spent every day in the bush for work. Those things digest all kinds of grime and bad ammo and ask for more.

Good pictures of the mount too, I like it. Thinking about optics on mine real soon but I think I'll go with a red dot sight mounted on a Weaver base up front where the rear sight used to be. Never tried norinco ball, but I can believe that an SKS is capable of those kinda groups. The two things I find hold me back the most are the sights and the trigger. Kinda hard to see the potential of mine...Gets 4 inch groups for me.

Nice mount...I can see how it returns to zero when you remove the cover and then put it back on. Unlike most of the damn cheapies out there. Happy it works without a shell deflector too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yer i like it, with the larger scope have had alot of problems with the feeding as the shells seem to fling up and hit it chipping the matt finish, ive taped it for now but am going to go for a compact variable zoom, something like a 3-9 x32 maybe. the chineese company that made my sks were norinco, and most of hte 7.62 i can get here is from norinco its self, it shoots well on the range but i prefer the remington PSP for hunting.

im after a synthetic stock for mine, i see the american prices for them are like $70,here the prices exceed $600, fso for that markup im going to have to import one.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Ah, okay...forget about my question in the goat thread about what you hunt with...just MHO, but pick up a decent compact scope if you can...the ones here that come with a mount for 40 bucks are just like drawing a reticle on a coke bottle.

Damn, 600 bucks! Import one from Canada for 60...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muzzleblast said:
Ah, okay...forget about my question in the goat thread about what you hunt with...just MHO, but pick up a decent compact scope if you can...the ones here that come with a mount for 40 bucks are just like drawing a reticle on a coke bottle.

Damn, 600 bucks! Import one from Canada for 60...
yeah im going to have to, the markups here are unbelievable, i brought a ruger 223 stainless last year, it cost me 1300 new, and that was on special:S

my mossberg mariner cost me 800 new, i mean they cant justify such a steep markup on some of these firearms.

i have been given alot of ball ammo for the sks, so im just using what ever to hunt, it varies from psp to ball, but i was using the remington stuff for that group on the local range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts