Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might have noticed my new signature dealing with fallen friends... i have recieved several emails wanting to know what happened. So here is the story...

In Loving Memory

5th Platoon, 1st Force Reconnaissance Company

December 09, 1999

On 09 December 1999, a USMC Force Reconnaissance platoon was assigned to perform a VBSS on the USNS Pecos as part of a training exercise in preparation for deployment with the 15th MEU(SOC) in January 2000. The assault team was comprised, in part, of two CH-46 helicopters assigned to the Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 166. These were designated numbers 1 and 2 , with the platoon split between both birds. They were going to land if there was room, or fast rope if not. A SEAL platoon was assigned to assault simultaneously from surface/up. US Navy Special Boat Unit rigid hull inflatables (RIB) and their crews were behind the ship, carrying the SEALs who were to perform the assault. The pilot of helo #1 struck, and became fouled in the netting surrounding the stern of the ship with the landing gear. The A/C immediately became unstable and rolled into the ocean. The A/C sank and #2 waved off. The Force Recon personnel were standing up and preparing to "Fast Rope" on to the deck at the time of the accident. Eleven survivors were immediately pulled from the water, however six Marines and one Sailor died in the crash. The helicopter went down about 1:16 p.m. PST (2116 GMT) about 15 miles (24 kms) west-southwest of Point Loma. All Force Recon personnel were from 5th Platoon and part of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit based at Camp Pendleton, just north of San Diego.

==============================================

In Loving Memory...

SSGT. VINCENT A. SABASTEANSKI, 1ST FORCE RECON - CUMBERLAND, ME

SSGT. DAVID E. GALLOWAY, 1ST FORCE RECON - OREGON CITY, OR

SSGT. JEFFERY R. STARLING, 1ST FORCE RECON - SOUTH DAYTON, FL

HM1 JAY J. ASIS, 1ST FORCE RECON - QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES

CPL. MARK A. BACA, 1ST FORCE RECON - JEFFERSON CITY, CO

GYSGT JAMES P PAIGE JR, CREW CHIEF, HMM 166 - MIDDLESEX, NJ

SSGT. WILLIAM C. DAME, EOD, MSSG-15 - YUMA, AZ

==============================================

SCHOLARSHIP TRUST FUND

The Force Recon Association has established a SCHOLARSHIP TRUST FOR THE SURVIVING CHILDREN of those tragically lost. The children are:

Frederick GALLOWAY, Age 12, Stetson GALLOWAY, Age 10 and William GALLOWAY, Age 9, all sons of SSgt. David E. GALLOWAY;

Nicholas SABASTEANSKI, Age 6, son of SSgt. Vincent A. SABASTEANSKI;

Derek BACA, son of Cpl. Mark A. Baca. (Age unknown to me)

Those desiring to make a donation to this Special Scholarship Trust may make their check or money order payable to "FRA SCHOLARSHIP TRUST FUND" and add a memo indicating if you want it donated to an individual "By Name" child or to be "Evenly Split" amongst all 5 children. No specific designation of donation will be evenly divided amongst all 5 children. Mail your donation / donation's to:

15th MEU Memorial Fund
c/o: Force Recon Association
3784-B Mission Ave., PMB # 1775
Oceanside, CA 92054 - 1460

Or, you can contact:

Gary "Buddha" Marte
Major, USMC, Retired
Executive Director, Force Recon Association
Office (760) 439 - 8633
Home (760) 439 - 6888
FAX (760) 725 - 3221
EMail: [email protected]
http://www.ForceRecon.com

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i should add... the pilot was found at fault. The crew chief warned the pilot that they were coming in way to fast and steep and pretty much was told to stay in his pay grade by the pilot...

BC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts