Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mel,

I don't need to ask a question, but since my post in the "Optics" section on my Tasco scope I did some thinking. I had a little spare change, so I went out and checked out Leupolds and Zeiss scopes. I bought a 4.5-14x42 Zeiss scope and I put it on the Remington 700 PSS. It has been a while since I worked with excellent glass. I could not believe the vivid colors and the detail, and the clarity blew me away. Tracking through heavily wooded areas was like having x-ray vision. The scope I bought has the side focus and yes from a tactical standpoint it is very advantageous. Another thing nice about it to is it has plenty of adjustment when working with subsonic ammo. I am loading some 168 grain Sierras and give it the full power ammo test out this weekend. Just thought I would tell you I put some good glass on my shooter.

Tom

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
thansen,

Excellent!! Thanks for the review and the update. Good quality glass is worth the money... usually LOTS of it.

MEL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zeiss scope

Mel,

I took the Zeiss out about 5:30 this evening and mowed my shooting lanes. I said the heck with the subs, I want to zero with something matchgrade. I used my homebrew 42.0 grains IMR 4895 and Winchester case, federal large magnum rifle primer, and of course the jewel finish Sierra 168 grain fmjhpbt match King. I could shoot great with the tasco but the Zeiss brought me back to old times of shooting a 4-14. Anyway to zero it took 4 firing solutions and the fifth solution brought in the zero. I used the penny size orange stick on for the chest and torso and a 2" stick on for the apricot. Both apricots were dead on, The penny size targets were 2 bullseyes and the other two were 1/4 moa off but still in the orangenext to the diamond. I used two silhouettes. I owe a lot to my equipment, especially the glass. As you can tell, I am happy that I did spend the extra money. I shot from 100yards, full value wind from south. I was shooting north to south. Thanks for the good advice.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Great review! And great shooting! Now...lol I gotta save up for some real glass

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scope

Muzzleblast,

I could not believe the the color and the clarity. I have always known about Zeiss, but did not do much research on the scope. Needless to say I researched it out and figured for the money it was a good choice. I heard that they where known for there for really bringing out the color, which of course helps out searching through the woods. Now I just need to recoup the money I spent. Heck, my horses are cheaper to own, my rifle eats more in food than the two horses do !!!!!

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thread

Mel,

I did not know if I should of posted this in the "Optics" or the "Misc". I put it in the "Misc" because all I wanted to do was let you know I bought some good glass. Muzzleblast had responded and I did not know if there would be more responses.

Tom

·
Registered
565 Posts
In Europe Zeiss is looked upon as the best hunting and long range optics there is. The glass is quite possibly the best there is and the mechanical quality is great, too. But, it's no milspec sight. They are a bit fragile compared with Hensoldt, Leupold, NXS and Nikon Tacticals and such sights.

My ultimate dream is a Hensoldt SSG-P. Zeiss' military scope. To me, THE ultimate scope - but oh what a pricetag.

What model Zeiss did you get? Conquest, V, Z..?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zeiss

Kamatz,

How are you today ? I have quite a bit of Norwegion ancestory in my blood. Small world. I ended up getting the Conquest. In some areas the Conquest may not be considered a tactical scope, but I have talked to some people here stateside that do use them for tactical work. Regardless if the Conquest is mil-spec or not, I would not want to be on the other end of it. I am an IT manager by profession, but I also work with horses in a small ranching community. Some of the area's cattle ranchers hire me as a sniper to take out wild dogs that kill there calves. The Zeiss Conquest suits my needs. Matter of fact I have two stalks I am doing this weekend, I am zeroed and ready to go, just as long as my spotter isn't hung over. As for being fragile, I am going to have to disagree with you on that. I don't want to argue about that point, I watched a guy drop a Conquest from a considerable height and it works fine.

Tom

·
Registered
565 Posts
Was actually wondering about that - Hansen is, or at least was, a fairly typical Scandinavian name :)

I'm positive the Conquest is an excellent choice for PDs with everything but astronomical budgets. It's fairly cheap, and from what I hear, it's the same glass as in the more expensive Zeiss' - so why spend that much more on a Victory? It's without a doubt one of the first scopes I'd look at if I was to build a light and good hunting rifle.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
This topic is fine where it is I think Thansen...if you would rather take it to Optics I could move it there if you want.

As it is, its good to put it on the board and not just for Mel cause I bet a lot of members would like to hear more reviews of things like Zeiss

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Muzzleblast,

No it is fine with me where it is at. Thank you.

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
scope

Kamatz,

How are you today ? Yes, I do enjoy the Conquest, good price, $700. I really like the "magic" they do with the lenses. The colour and light are really great. If you do your part, I would hate to be a bullseye on that piece of paper. Thanks for the kind words on the scope.

By the way, what type of rifle and scope combo do you use ? Are you military or civilian ? Drop a note anytime.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts