Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nationals start for rifle shooters on August 2nd with the Presidents Match, and continue with NRA Matches well into the latter part of August. Check ODCMP.com for more details.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Gonna let us know how you do? :D

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only if its respectable of course lol. My goal this year is to medal which means my offhand has to be a lot better than last year. This is no easy trick with an 11lb rifle and sling use prohibited. I am going to try and get to the range for some practice today so we will see how I do.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I am shooting the garand in the pics form a few weeks ago. This year I am only shooting in two matches(with my new schedule, it would have cost too much vacation to shoot in all 4 I was planning on). I will also be shooting in a Vintage Bolt rifle match shooting a 1903 A3 Springfield. Both are as issued matches, meaning no match rifles allowed, all parts must be GI spec, no NM sights, op rods or the like, and all ammo is issued by CMP, made by Federal just for the M1.

The course of fire is all at 200yds, and goes as follows:

Prone Slow Fire 10 rds and up to 5 sighters time limit 15 minutes sling supported

Prone from Standing 10 Rds 70 Seconds with a reload sling supported.

Offhand 10 rds in 10 minutes slow fire, no sling support sling on rifle in Parade configuration.

The offhand killed me last year, I was on pace to medal till that round, so all my practice will be focused there for the run up the match.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recoil,

No I have not seen that position, but I will post some pics of mine later if I get a chance, both with the 03 and the Garand. The 03 is no easy chore in offhand either. Maybe you guys can give me a tip or two.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am off for the matches at first light. I cant wait to get up to Camp Perry in the morning. I am buying at least one 03A3 to convert to an as Issued match gun. I am also picking up a Garand and some ammo(2K rounds at least of 30-06 Greek and USGI). I will post pics of the competition as soon as I get back.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Recoil said:
mlammers said:
The offhand killed me last year, I was on pace to medal till that round, so all my practice will be focused there for the run up the match.
Yeah, the Garand is a killer during sustained off-hand shooting. Ever see the way David Tubb stands? He arches way back, almost like he's about to do a back flip. I've always figured it was to center his center of gravity and reduce arm fatigue...?
I read his article yesterday in Rifle shooter where he shot a perfect score accross the course out to 1000 yds. They had a photo of the target he had 17 out of 20 in the x ring I believe. Now that is some shooting

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I will do my best, I too only dream of shooting that good. Some guys have the gift, and time to perfect it. I have to workon more parctice time in the next year, I hope work slows some, long days are killing my practice, and rifle building time. I have a feeling I will get shown how its done LOL.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I made it back. I shot well in one phase, and not well at all in others. I had one serious malfunction in the rapid phase, that blew that whole string, and my temper blew the other.

In the Prone slow, I shot 92 with one X, that was my best string. In the rapid, I shot 69, with one miss. I, according to my spotter/scorer, had two 9s, reloaded, smooth there, another 9 then an 8. Things went south there, the gun doubled(2 rounds on 1 trigger pull) and gave me a miss with the 8. That broke my position and the rest were 8 or worse, and I ended up with a 69. I was so fired up and pissed at myself, that I ended up even worse in the off hand. I started bad there, with a 6, 7, then got better with an 8 and two 9s, then I missed, fired one 7 and 3 more sixes.

It was not my day to say the least. That is what I get for focusing on work(lol), it killed my practice time and I know I can shoot better, so more practice this year for sure.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
hey man! its alright--better than most of us could probably do!! but hey....like u said just practice practice practice...that kinda sux that ur gun doubled up too!

dom

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some pics of the event at Camp Perry. It will be very different next year as the pits and berms are being totally rebuilt starting next week. They are installing all new target systems, and buldozing the berms and all,it should be really nice.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
mlammers, I must say it again: That has to be the most beautiful M1Garand stock I've ever seen! Nice pic's. Good luck to you for next year!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

mlammers, were you ever in the forces?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yimmy,

Nope, I was stupid, I was offered 3.5yrs of full ride ROTC and declined it. They wanted me to be a Navigator on an aircraft, but I wanted to pursue an LE path. I became an LE officer at age 20, now 14years later, I am still at it.

Lonewolf thanks again for the comliments on the stock.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Was just curious, LE is just as proper a job as the forces.

I was wandering how you learnt to hold a rifle like that in your photos, it is very much a target shooters grip. I prefered holding the weapon like that when I was new to rifles, but it is frowned upon.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
That is a beautiful stock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts