Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) I bought this at an estate sale in a bundle of 20 rifles 12 years ago. Have never shot it because there is no ammo to be had for it. 6mm x .284 Win was not produced since the 60's and only wild catters have made these since then supposedly, which I haven't ever found one and the reloaders I know can't be bothered. (See barrel stamp picture)

2.) This came with a Hi-Lux M82G2 on a M82MT. After all these years I took off the scope and mount to find the Rock Island Arsenal marks and the serial number 1297047 under it
Wood Bumper Publication Automotive tire Bicycle part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part
Bumper Everyday carry Knife Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior
Sports equipment Tool Trigger Bolt cutter Shotgun
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Toy Table Bumper
. It says it is a model 1903 (which was a 30 cal.) I think because a drill hole has cut the number 3 in half. I have been all over RI arsenal site, history etc. and there is no mention of this weapon. The npa.gov site says that the 129704 ser.# is missing. from their list of serial numbers by year.

In conclusion I believe this is a frankengun made from a hunting rifle barrel chambered in 6mmx.284, a Herter's stock and the 1903 Rock Island Arsenal receiver which I have no clue how this worked or who made it and why. It does explain the Hi-Lux scope and mount because they were designed for the M1 top ejecting rifle and I guess they figured out it would work on this weapon, so they tapped the receiver to make it fit.

I would like to hear anyone's opinion as to anything they can tell me about this weapon and if there were anymore made. I would also like to know if anyone has heard or knows where to find any of this ammo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like a 1928 vintage M1903 receiver. This rifle was probably sporterized originally as a 30-06. After the introduction of the 284 Winchester cartridge in 1963 it was wildcatted with one being the 6mmx284. Definitely a frankengun.

Being a wildcat cartridge there is no factory ammunition for this rifle. The cartridge exists in the world of handloaders.

Link to some additional info:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir, for the information. This was the strangest weapon I have ever seen. As I mentioned before it came with a HiLux M82G2 scope made for a M1A3 with the mount designed only for those top ejector weapons. The HiLux is a really good scope, so I am mounting it on another weapon. Stupid me went and bought some .284 Win thinking that was the round for this rifle only to find out the cartridge was longer than the 6mm x .284 so now I have 120 rounds of it with no weapon to shoot it. I will pursue wildcatters from your helpful link and see what happens. The .284 Win that I purchased was also exceedingly hard to find and expensive. I would offer a 2 for 1 swap for some 6mm x .284 from a wildcatter and see what comes of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, sir, for the information. This was the strangest weapon I have ever seen. As I mentioned before it came with a HiLux M82G2 scope made for a M1A3 with the mount designed only for those top ejector weapons. The HiLux is a really good scope, so I am mounting it on another weapon. Stupid me went and bought some .284 Win thinking that was the round for this rifle only to find out the cartridge was longer than the 6mm x .284 so now I have 120 rounds of it with no weapon to shoot it. I will pursue wildcatters from your helpful link and see what happens. The .284 Win that I purchased was also exceedingly hard to find and expensive. I would offer a 2 for 1 swap for some 6mm x .284 from a wildcatter and see what comes of it.
You might try the Long Range Shooters forum these guys live for wildcat rifles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gunn, I have searched the web and there are so many long-range shooting forums it makes my head spin. If you know the link for the one you mentioned, I would greatly appreciate it if you would send it to me. It sounds like it is exactly the one I need. Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gunn, I have searched the web and there are so many long-range shooting forums it makes my head spin. If you know the link for the one you mentioned, I would greatly appreciate it if you would send it to me. It sounds like it is exactly the one I need. Thank you.
The name is actually Long Range hunting I think before I put LR Shooting I'll start a thread about your rifle, I do know that there are companies that will make reloading dies but they are expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I googled it and there are several threads on this round. Chuck Hawks did an article on it. Also from what I can tell the best way to go brass is to get a full length sizing die and then use 6.5x284 norma brass run it threw there then trim to length, I also saw loading data on your round too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gunn, I found a website who sells wildcat ammo and other out of production rounds of all kinds. It is Reed's Ammunition and Research LLC. I bought 2 boxes of 6mm .284 ammo from them, which was Hornady's 87gr. VMax and I can't wait to get it and try it out in this frankengun after almost a decade and a half trying to find this ammo. I literally stumbled upon this site going thru all kinds of threads on Long Range Hunting forum that you suggested.
Here is the link for the site: https://shop.reedsammo.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts