Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

If you were in the market, which SC2 rifle/scope package would you buy?

• $1950 - w/ Burris Fullfield II 3-9x50mm Ballistic Plex (with auto ranging ability from 300-900y)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1950 - w/ Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm duplex reticule

• $1950 - w/ Weaver Tactical 3-9x40mm Mildots FFP (limited time only, weaver quit making these)

• $2000 - w/ Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm Mildots

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, whenever I'm in need of an opinion, I know I can count on my SC brethren

So here is the deal. Lets say we have a SC2 package that is targeted around $2000 and includes the following:

SC2 (308 and 260 options)
Mounted Scope (the basis of this poll)
BDC dials on scope calibrated out to 1000y for 260 (between 800-1000 depending on scope for the .308)
20 MOA rail & rings
Harris Bi-pod
Hard Case
fully assembled and boresighted (test fired upon request)

Now, the basis of the poll is to judge interest in various scopes. What I'm looking for it a gut feeling and opinion on the above scopes. Keep in mind, they will all have a BDC out to 800-1000.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
madgunsmith said:
None of the above.

I'd want to have a fixed power 6x42 Leupold with target knobs and Multicoat 4.

Mad
Well, I did ask for opinions! :D

Actually, your idea is a fine one, but the problem is that the SC2 is designed as a nice & compact 1000y rifle. At 1000, its difficult (not impossible) to accurately aim at a target with only 6x. Now, some will say its bad even with 9x, but it is a 50% increase over 6x. I do like the way you think though.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I love that rifle. It is nice and compact and I'd want a nice, simple, fixed power compact scope to go with it.

And the way I shoot, I would never attempt any 1000 yards shots anyway.

Mad

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope to post a picture of the SC2 prototype with burris 3-9x50mm scope this weekend. (provided the base and rings show up)

MEL

·
Registered
253 Posts
how about the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40? my question is why you are limiting yourself to a max power of 9X when this (and other's i'm sure) quality, cost-effective scope is out there? anyways, sticking to the options listed i voted for the Leupold Mk 4 PR 3-9X40 in mil-dots.

Brian

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I was wondering why the burris was the only one that you decided to go with a 50mm objective, as burris also has the 3-9x40 in the same scope line. I voted for the leupold, but I think it is a good system with any of those scopes. I however would want something with a little more magnification as well.

John

eta - Leupold with mildot that is

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish it was a simple answer to your questions. But I had several criteria I had to meet.

1) I had to be able to have a BDC made from kenton industries that would reach 1000y with 260LR and 800y with 308 168gr. This ruled out the nikon 4.5-14 which was great in every other regard except target knobs that I could not have a BDC made for. the Buckmaster 6-18x could, but it didn't have a good range finding reticule.

2) It had to fit a budget in order to keep the package price at $2000, but yet still make at least "some" money. This meant it had to be around $400-$450 TOTAL retail price after having target knobs attached or other modifications. This is the primary reason why the mags are 3-9x. I'd love to have a leupold 4.5-14 PR, but um, not on this budget.

3) Magnification was PREFERRED to be 3-12x, but as you can see, NONE of the scopes available met my requirements and met the magnification goal.

4) Preferred some sort of range finding ability, mildots or otherwise. The burris 3-9x has a remarkable rangefinding ability I'll have to explain to everyone sometime. In fact, I developed the system myself and have never seen it used anywhere else.....

5) Needed at a BARE MINIMUM 50 MOA of adjustments in order to reach goal #1 of BDC to 1000/800.

So, please, I am still open to suggestions!!! and votes, and comments!

MEL

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
What about the fixed 10x SWFA Super Sniper? ...... I don't know if BDC can be accomodated, but the price is right.
(I went for the mildot Leupold)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually that one is on my short list. But is a fixed power scope. I really wanted to have the flexibility of a variable power scope which makes it more appealing to the LE side of the game.

I forgot to mention also, I plan to offer another level of package above this one that will sell for around the $2300 which will have a higher end scope and mounts, probably a higher quality leupold Mark 4 (4.5-14) or the new burris XTR 3-12.

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Mel,

To be honest, I have used both a 3.5 to 10, and a 4 to 16 variable, and most times they seem to stay set around the 10x position, unless I get real close in during a drill or something. I am actually considering switching to a fixed 10X on a 308, and building an AR with a fixed 4x kind of like the Navy MK12 Mod 0.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, how about other LE operators, what are your feelings on a fixed 10x? I went through my POST certified sniper school using a fixed 10x, but I didn't have a choice.

What are peoples thoughts and feelings on the SS10x compared to a leupold Mk4 3-9x40mm w mildots. I have my own opinions, but would like to hear everyone elses.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I say the Burris. You are getting more bang for the buck. The lenses are just as good IMHO, and the 50 mm objective has advantages at long distance and with clarity at long range. Add to that the ranging capability and this is the winner in my book.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I saw a Tasco for sale the other day... :lol: just kidding.is there a reason you are choosing just one scope? couldn't you have it for "$2000 dollars, you get rifle and either this scope or that?"

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
PR with Mil Dots any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dead_I_5_0 said:
I saw a Tasco for sale the other day... :lol: just kidding.is there a reason you are choosing just one scope? couldn't you have it for "$2000 dollars, you get rifle and either this scope or that?"

-Brian Shields
Um... well, you have a point :-D

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm still looking for more input and votes, so to keep it going, here are a few pictures of the SC2 prototype to whet your appitite and to try and give you something to visualize the scope on top of.

MEL

·
Registered
314 Posts
WOW.... :shock:

Looks real nice

I think a leupold mil dot would be the perfect match for this rifle
thats my vote

1 - 20 of 31 Posts