Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a piece of land in the Mountains of Idaho and am planning on starting the building of my cabin. On the last visit, I watched a pack of wolves take down an elk yearling saw. Both cat and bear tracks. I don't think my little AR15 is nearly the gun I need. I am moving some ATVs up to the property and would like something about the size of the at or a 30-30. I was thinking of buying something like the Springfield SOCOM. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
434 Posts
For personal defense the weapon needs to be on your person and a SOCOM is a bit hefty to lug around everywhere. A 5.56mm with decent ammo will take care of most problems fairly quickly aside from a very large bear or a pissed off bull elk. A 12ga pump with slugs is a sure thing but I'd feel secure with a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull on my hip and a long gun in the truck.

~Ben

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used to pack around a Marlin 45-70 and a Ruger 357. I had a SOCOM and I ended up selling it. But if you have a 12 guage with slugs you'd be fine. since I sold the 45-70, I typically carry my Winchester Extreme Defender, having the first round a slug then buckshot the next 6 rounds, and on my hip is my HK USP 45.

·
Registered
324 Posts
In BC most carry 12 gauge pumps with short barrels. Slugs and buck will take care of anything. I carry Mine unloaded because of the law being a little weird here. In Canada you can't have any loaded weapon in or on anything that moves in anyway other than pack animals. I practice port loading because I don't want to load and unload every time I get in or out of the jeep.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like the SOCOM might be too heavy. Will a .223 be sufficient? I can buy a decent AR15 and get it set up with a decent red dot for about the same price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When it really comes down to it, shot placement is one of the biggest factors. An AR15 would definitely be easier to keep on target, especially with the right muzzle device. You can always do a 6.8, 458, or 50 Beowolf on the AR platform as well. I'd say for bears I'd want a deep penatrating round, one that will that at least break the bone like a steel penetrator round (mil surplus green tip) and then for cats and wolves I'd probably go with an Amax round. Really accurate and a great expansion bullet. But that's just my 2 cents. Here in utah we don't have many problems with creatures.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Will a .223 be sufficient?
Yes, and No.

Can a .223 kill a large brown bear or Bull Elk/Moose? Yes... Will it die before it kills you? Maybe, maybe not. We all know a .22LR can take down an elephant, but is it intelligent to try it?

If you want a AR then buy one, you can always add a 458 SOCOM, or 50 Beowolf upper, but as others have said the tried and true firearm is a shogun with slugs. When I led adventure trips in places with dangerous game I had a shotgun, a large bore pistol, or both.

~Ben

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
From the way you describe the situation, you want something a bit more powerful than a 30-30.
This leaves you with: 6.5CM, 260, 270, 308W, 30-06, and anything bigger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This maybe a weird suggestion and alot of people who are enthusiasts may cringe, but you could get a current production Browning BAR in 338 Win Mag, or any other desired caliber and have the barrel cut down to a more suitable length? You would a weird range of options on caliber selection and even though they are expensive, they have proven themselves extremely reliable. Then top it off with a 1-4 scope, or figure a way to mount a red dot on top of it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
For personal protection in the bush you need something with mass, shotgun with slug or triple ooo buck. It going to be close range and it will need tobe something you can wheeled fast. Seeing animal in the woods at 100yrd real is no threat you still keep track of it but they usually just go about there business.

Cliffy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a tactical 870 pump shotgun, but really wanted some kind of a rifle. I read somewhere that it might be possible to buy an AR and somehow shoot either .308 or .223 out of it. I guess you need to swap out the uppers? But the magazines are different, so do you have to buy 2 guns?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Just my two cents, but there was a reason why Cowboys and settlers carried lever actions in the same caliber as there pistol. How many animals you think have been killed or warned off with a 44mag lever?

Reactions: animalspooker

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree with NorCal. I would suggest a lever gun and a side arm in the same caliber 44 mag 45 colt. If your just looking for a rifle, check out a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308. I think Mossberg makes one as well.
You can not interchange 308 and 223 uppers and lowers. It's one or the other.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It sounds like the SOCOM might be too heavy. Will a .223 be sufficient? I can buy a decent AR15 and get it set up with a decent red dot for about the same price.
SOCOM, heavy? For myself I would get the scout and it's 18'' barrel, with little more fps. I even carried a full size M1A out here in the hot sandbox and I'm a old man. But there is the 45/70 and with correct round of 350 grains and up will do the trick. For me 308 and up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a DPMS AP4 .308 that would probably fit what you want, its a 16" Carbine length AR 10 type rifle. Mine is topped with a trijicon 2.5-10-56 accupoint with a Burris fastfire lll red dot. So up close or out to about 500 yards is easy. One cost for an AR 10 type rifle is a little more weight. But its .308 Umphhh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did find that the Colt MARC 901 is a gun that you can easily convert from .308 to .223, but I can't seem to find one except at super high prices. I also wonder if the piston operatedvARs are much better than the conventional?

Any suggestions on the matched pair of pistol and lever actioned guns? Not real familiar with them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did find that the Colt MARC 901 is a gun that you can easily convert from .308 to .223, but I can't seem to find one except at super high prices. I also wonder if the piston operatedvARs are much better than the conventional?

Any suggestions on the matched pair of pistol and lever actioned guns? Not real familiar with them.
A matched pair just means that one round can be fired in both firearms. So you would have a lever action chambered in something like 357 mag, 44 mag or 454, and then your revolver would be in the same caliber. So there is no need for carrying more then one caliber of ammunition.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The single caliber makes sense. Any preferred caliber? I have a Ruger SP101, but it kicks like crazy in .357 mag. I assume we are talking a larger frame pistol. Any recommended manufacturers or models?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The single caliber makes sense. Any preferred caliber? I have a Ruger SP101, but it kicks like crazy in .357 mag. I assume we are talking a larger frame pistol. Any recommended manufacturers or models?
Really just depends on what you can handle and the game your going to be around. You can look at the Ruger redhawk, ruger blackhawk or some of the larger framed S&W revolvers. 357 Mag is the cheapest to shoot but obviously you get more stopping power the bigger you go. But shot placement is also a huge thing. If your going to carry matching pairs you wouldn't want to carry anything smaller then a 357 mag, but you could carry 38 special in them if you desired.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see that you can get lever action rifles in .357 mag, .45 colt, and .44 mag. I intend to carry the pistol in open carry anytime I am out of the yard and keeping it handy when I am working. Would you recommend the .44 mag?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts