Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I see that you can get lever action rifles in .357 mag, .45 colt, and .44 mag. I intend to carry the pistol in open carry anytime I am out of the yard and keeping it handy when I am working. Would you recommend the .44 mag?
If you can handle the recoil, yes the 44 mag is a great caliber. But factory loads can get expensive. S&W makes a lightweight line in 44 mag.

Before you make any decisions though, I would try a revolver in every caliber to see which you would prefer/can handle the easiest and best.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you can handle the recoil, yes the 44 mag is a great caliber. But factory loads can get expensive. S&W makes a lightweight line in 44 mag.

Before you make any decisions though, I would try a revolver in every caliber to see which you would prefer/can handle the easiest and best.
It's not for plinking, it's for personal protection against dangerous game, the cost of ammunition should be the absolute last thing to consider. You only need to buy one box a year anyway.

OP, That being said I'd go with 454 Casull in a Ruger Alaskan. You can always fire 45 LC out of it until you get the feel for it. I can fire it one handed so the recoil isn't that bad and ammo is available all over.

I hate to say it but a rifle in a handgun caliber is anemic, just because it worked 150 years ago doesn't mean we haven't done better since. If I carry a rifle it's got a rifle caliber, otherwise why carry the extra size and weight. You have a shotgun so all you really need is a big boy pistol.

~Ben

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's not for plinking, it's for personal protection against dangerous game, the cost of ammunition should be the absolute last thing to consider. You only need to buy one box a year anyway.

OP, That being said I'd go with 454 Casull in a Ruger Alaskan. You can always fire 45 LC out of it until you get the feel for it. I can fire it one handed so the recoil isn't that bad and ammo is available all over.

I hate to say it but a rifle in a handgun caliber is anemic, just because it worked 150 years ago doesn't mean we haven't done better since. If I carry a rifle it's got a rifle caliber, otherwise why carry the extra size and weight. You have a shotgun so all you really need is a big boy pistol.

~Ben
I wasn't suggesting to use it for plinking. I only mentioned cost of ammo because me personally, if I'm going to rely on a gun for protection whether against 2 or 4 legged creatures, you best bet I'm going to be putting that sucker through its paces. Thats the only reason I mentioned that ammo can be a factor.

·
Registered
740 Posts
44 MAG! A lever action and a 4-6" bbl revolver. Listen to these people, they know what they're talking about!

Do not use the .223. You're not hunting a bear, you're trying not to be eaten by one. If you do have a run in with one, you won't see it a 500 yards for the first time, you're more like to see it at 5 yards. Leave the 223 at the cabin!!!

And 8SAM46 has a point. If you feel safer with a long gun in hand, carry a 12 gauge and slugs or 000Buck, otherwise the revolver will work fine by itself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
we do not have grizzly bears here where I live but we do have feral hogs , coyotes , a small population of moutain lions and apparently black bears . when I go to the woods I normally carry my 6 inch raging bull in 480 ruger . It is an excellent pistol I have killed several deer with . I have a desert eagle 44 mag but I like the reliability of the revolver . I also have a 458 socom , 50 beowulf and an 1895 guide gun in 45/70 . I like the guide gun because it is easy to manuver and packs a hell of a whallop and not to heavy .

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like you need what I have.
A DPMS G2 Recon. Mine is modified and wears a 1-8 Primary Arms scope.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sounds like you need what I have.
A DPMS G2 Recon. Mine is modified and wears a 1-8 Primary Arms scope.
Now, this is the best opinion on this thread. The most versatile and effective modern weapon for OP's situation. Powerful 10 .308 rounds, light to carry around, very accurate to 1 MOA, quick target acquisition and easy to manipulate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
For personal protection from black bear the truth is you do not need to go overboard at all. For years I worked in grizzly and black bear country
packing only a light weight 30/06 with a 4x scope on it, as have hundreds of guides who hunt grizzly with their clients over many years.
I suggest you take a step back and consider your real needs here and forget the heavy recoiling rounds for a bit. For self defence, you must
also be prepared to learn to shoot the rifle you choose, and if you are all right with dangerous game rifles like the .375 H&H , their weight and
recoil you may not be so pleased to pack it for miles on a backcountry trip, or shoot it enough to learn how to shoot accurately should the need
arise.

A famous guide outfitter here in Northern BC, George Dalziel once told me the only rifle he ever used was a 30/06 and I can tell you he had
more need for a rifle that you are ever likely to have for self defence from wildlife.

i would try out a featherweight model 70 or a Ruger Americal in 30/06 for starters. Both are accurate enough and fun to shoot. For a scope, get
a 4x Leupold fixed power with Leupold one piece mounts and matching rings. For your ammunition just go buy some Remington 180 grain Core Loks
and get out and shoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently bought a piece of land in the Mountains of Idaho and am planning on starting the building of my cabin. On the last visit, I watched a pack of wolves take down an elk yearling saw. Both cat and bear tracks. I don't think my little AR15 is nearly the gun I need. I am moving some ATVs up to the property and would like something about the size of the at or a 30-30. I was thinking of buying something like the Springfield SOCOM. What are your thoughts?
Ar 15 is light easy shoot and I am sure know the weapon well. But in 223 556 or even 300 blk would find another choice, But that said 6mm grendel, 458 socom and 50cal . Will not reach out that far but as for take down and protection nothing is wrong with an of these rounds for protection from large game. Just know it is not going to reach out really far and give the punch you will need. these round move slower then the 223 and 556 but the stopping power is really good for sure. That said I am not going to want to try an go out an take down a brn bear with it that would require the 300 win mag and some major distance but for all around carry protect my choice 50 cal beowulf heavy round and if it hits a large animal it is going to go down as long as you hit a vital location for sure.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have a 308win Browning Lever Action that has a detachable mag. it has high rings that allows for the use of the iron sights or 3X9 Leo scope. I also think a decent AR-10 in 308win would also work. Both of these could do a job on critters out 100-300 yds if shooting unsupported, however some jurisdictions may take exception to carrying an AR style semi auto for hunting if you want to use it for self def. as well as hunting.

I understand the desire to go a bit on the heavy side for dangerous game, but when I hunted black bear in Northwestern Ontario and a number of the locals were using .243win's and dropping some big animals. FYI I hunted with a 300WM because I thought go heavy just in case. Some of the locals viewed me similarly to those carrying a Bowie knife when deer hunting... Sign of a rookie which I definitely was the first year. Can't speak to what it takes to down a brown bear. That said during my research for the hunt I learned that bears in general have a heart beat that is very slow around 30 bpm. I blew out the top third of a 300lb black bear's hear. After getting hit he ran about 50 yds and sounded the death moan. I was 20ft up a tree and not on the ground when I shot the BB.

I'll side with the 12GA with a slug or 000 buck for close work. I guess it depends on what distance you expect engage targets at which depends on your area of operations. As far as a side arm, I like my G30 with a 13 round mag for out in the woods. Don't try to take one to Canada though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently bought a piece of land in the Mountains of Idaho and am planning on starting the building of my cabin. On the last visit, I watched a pack of wolves take down an elk yearling saw. Both cat and bear tracks. I don't think my little AR15 is nearly the gun I need. I am moving some ATVs up to the property and would like something about the size of the at or a 30-30. I was thinking of buying something like the Springfield SOCOM. What are your thoughts?
Nothing wrong with a Browning blr in 308 or Henry makes a lever gun in 308 Browning made the BLR in 270 win as well

21 - 34 of 34 Posts