Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you've recommend for scoping on a .17 WSM?
Should I get a Rimfire scope or would a 4-12x40 Riflescope do the trick? Anybody with experience on these?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I had a vortex diamondback tactical that did fine. I held and didn’t dial, but held up fine on my 17 hornet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What would you've recommend for scoping on a .17 WSM?
Should I get a Rimfire scope or would a 4-12x40 Riflescope do the trick? Anybody with experience on these?
Any suggestions?
I think you should get the 4-12x40 Nikon ProStaff Rimfire with BDC Reticle. It seems like a good pairing. It good for 4 to 12x target shooting. I've one of them and it's work fine on my.17 WSM.
I think you'll find more details in this artilce- https://ibc7.org/scope-17-wsm/

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I have seen several pro staff scopes give out. I no longer own one due to that problem. It might not be a problem on rimfire, but shouldn’t be on anything within reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, first off you don't need a "rimfire scope" as all that usually means is a scope you can adjust the parallax to 50 yards or less or is fixed at 50 yards. As to what scope, you need to be more specific as to what you'll do with it. For hunting small varmints out to 200 yards, the usual purpose of that caliber, I'd get a scope with at least 20X magnification and a BDC reticle of some type. Weaver 40/44 scopes (discontinued) are good value in that class and Natchez may still have some on sale. If not, try a Nikon Monarch with BDC reticle also being discontinued and on sale at Natchez. Avoid tacticool scopes with busy reticles that are way too heavy for hunting work.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
BDC reticles are only accurate for one load in one condition. If you are trying to hit prairie dog sized targets out past 150 yards, then a FFP scope with a good mil based reticle is a must. As conditions change, your Kestrel will tell you the mils to hold or dial. My favorite reticle is the Gen2 XR. As far as magnification, my longest prairie dog kill was at 980 with a 3-15 power scope (not a 17 wsm). 15x’s magnification is plenty for a 17. I will probably go with a 10x max for my next 17 scope.

As far as paralax, you really should have adjustable paralax, otherwise it will be difficult to shoot precisely at any distance besides where the paralax is set. As said above, that is usually something like 50 yards on a rimfire scope. You also want a scope that the paralax will adjust quite close (like 10-15 yards) for a rimfire. 50 yards is fine for centerfire, but not great for rimfire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts