Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK MEL..............I know you have one (I think).

I was going to get one for an AR project but I have been told that there is more bd reduction in a 308 than a 223. True? Flase? What is the db level with normal target ammo? And what is the balistics and db level with sub-sonic ammo?

Anyone have experiance with any cans? (on a 308 or 223)

lets see some photos!!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
My can is a .308. I have used .223 cans, but do not own one.

Yes, the perceived effectiveness is greater with the .308. The one I have (tac-ops) is actually fantastic. I'll try to get a photo or two up. When fired with full power loads, I can shoot no problem without plugs, and no ear ringing, etc. When you shoot subsonic, its a air rifle type of sound, but a bit louder. I do not have accurate DB ratings, sorry.

To be honest, I have not fired any .223 sub-sonic through a can, just full power loads.

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at SWR (they are in GA and only an 1.5 hour drive from the house).

Gimtech also makes a good looking can as well.

How did the sound compare with the 223, I have heard that the 223 still has a very loud crack, to the point that you would still need hearing protection.

EDIT:
What about barrel length? 18" vs 20" vs 24"

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you use the proper ammunition, the 223 "crack" is gone. I shot a friend of mines 700 in 223 with a silencer. I could very comfortably shoot without earplugs. It sounded about like a 22LR. Im actually thinking about putting one on the new AR... if mine gets here soon i'll let ya have a crack at it. Sniperdog has a lead on some good ones and can help you fill out the forms too.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i got nothin? give it a minute or message me on the messengers. or um... email me? lol

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Are you looking for a "can" for a long range type AR-15 or a carbine type AR-15. Since this is a "Sniper" forum im guessing a long range type AR... but i just want to make sure before i type out a whole bunch of info and have it not be of any use. Let me know and ill give you all the info you need. As far as Db reduction with different calibers... it is easier to reduce the Db on a .308 than on a .223... but it all comes down to the design of the can its self. There are some cans for .308's that are over a foot long and only reduce the Db about 25 Db.... and there are some .223 cans that are 7.5 inchs long and reduce the Db over 30 Db. It all depends on the internal design. I hope you are doing this legally... having a license and all the paper work for it. That would be the good path to take.

Let me know what type of firearm you are planning on putting this on and ill get all the info you need to legally get one... and help you pick out the correct one for which ever particular application you plan on using it for.

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: :lol: :lol: YES.......YES it is legal!!! I don't want to lose the right to have my little toys!! But thanks for checking!

On a 308 from 100 to 300 yds. (sorry, but that is as far as I can shoot around here) 20" to 24" bbl

On an AR, any where fom 50 to 300 yds. 16" to 20" bbl

Will build this rifle just for suspressor use.

This is for fun legal use. I got to shoot an HK45 pistol with a SWR suspressor last week and I am now hooked. I now have a class 3 FFL shop about 30 min north of my house! The only thing is he does not stock anything, just special order only. (his wife makes all of the money and he just plays, what a life!)

(thanks BC)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Keep in mind... modern day "cans" are normally rated for at least 25-35 Db reduction. A 30 Db reduction will reduce a ear splittin 5.56mm crack to the sound of some one mildly clapping. My unit uses Surefire M4-FA (Fast Attach) *30 Db* supressor's on our M-4's... Knights Armament KAC-OHG *40 Db* supressor for our H&K MK-23 pistols... and Canadian Tactical / AU Z-Jet Dual *35 Db* reduction supressors for our 30 caliber rifles (M-21's, XM-25's, M-40A3's, ect) wich is manufactured by Ase Utra of Finland... and Canadian Tactical Reflex T8M *25-30 Db* for the .50BMG rifles.

Other manufacturers are Brugger & Thomet AG, Swiss Inc., Gem-Tec and SWR.

BC

·
Registered
383 Posts
I rarely needed hearing protection when firing my M16 or M4, didn't bother me a bit. But when I started to lug around the 249, thats a different story!

There are many shooting sites that have many technical reviews for different cans. Do a search and you can find enough info to keep you off the forums for weeks. :)

But we wouldnt want that...

anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been posting and reading on ar15.com for quite a while........more info than one can take in!

SWR are the local boys for me, just out of atlanta I believe.

The gem-tec M4-02 is another on the list. Both have very high reviews.

somewhere I saw that Canadian Tactical only supplies to the Gov.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
caver101 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: YES.......YES it is legal!!! I don't want to lose the right to have my little toys!! But thanks for checking!

On a 308 from 100 to 300 yds. (sorry, but that is as far as I can shoot around here) 20" to 24" bbl

On an AR, any where fom 50 to 300 yds. 16" to 20" bbl

Will build this rifle just for suspressor use.

(thanks BC)
For a .308 i would use a Canadian Tactical / AU Z-Jet Dual compact supressor. Its rated for 30-35 Db reduction... wich is plenty. You would... however... have to have your muzzle threaded. It is rated for Super and Sub sonic ammo... meaning you can use any ammo you want with it. You can order custom or standard thread pitchs with it as well.

Canadian Tactical Z-Jet Dual Compact .3080 specs :

Mounting : Threaded Muzzle Front
Weight : 25.2 Ounces
Length : 7.5 inchs
Length Past Muzzle : 6.5 inchs
Diameter 1.75 inchs
Db Reduction : 30-35 Db reduction depending on ammunition and cimate conditions.
Features:
*Lightweight
*Short for minimal extension of the weapon when mounted
*Standard and custom thread pitches available
*Pattended Z-Jet baffle design for maximum noise reduction
*All steel construction
*Mil Spec anti-reflection coating
*Long service life with minimal maintenance required (it should last longer than your barrel)
*Accuracy is slightly increased
*Point of impact is slightly increased upwards

For the AR-15 i would pick the Surefire M4-FA... it is by far the best AR-15 supressor on the market as of right now. You have to have the standard A2 flash supressor removed and install a custom made flash supressor that the supressor snaps onto. The great thing about the Surefire M4-FA is that it simply slips over the flash supressor... then you flip over a tightening wing and turn the supressor counter clockwise till it stops... you take it off by reversing the process. Should only take 2-3 seconds to put it on... if your in a hurry a little faster.

Suppressor Material : High Temperature Alloy / Stainless Steel
Weight : 17 ounces
Diameter : 1.5 inches
Length : 7.5 inches
Length added to weapon : 3 3/4 inches
Velocity : 30-50 fps increase
Compensator/Adapter : Heat treated steel alloy, manganese phosphated
Sound reduction : 27-30 Db depending on ammunition and climate conditions
Attachment time : 3-5 seconds
Accuracy : Slight increase with suppressor
Durability : Designed for use with select fire weapons (will last longer than your barrel)

Another good choice for the AR-15 is the Canadian Tactical / AU CQB-M4C SP Z-Jet Supressor. This supressor attaches via the standard A2 bird cage flash supressor. Heres the specs...

Mounting : Attaches Via standard NATO A2 "bird cage" flash supressor. (Threaded mount available)
Weight : 21.5 Ounces
Lenght : 6.88 inchs
Lenght past Muzzle : 4.8 inchs
Diameter : 1.55 inchs
Db Suppression : Approximately 30-35 Db depending on ammunition and climate conditions

Hope this info helps... i suggest you shop around and see what you like yourself. My opinions are just that... my opinions. You might like another supressor more than the ones i have suggested. Heres the contact info.

Surefire Supressors :
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 800-828-8809

Canadian Tactical :
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 403-277-5184
Fax: 403-699-0025

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dang BC..............Thats a lot of typing!! Thanks for the info!!

If I go the 308 route I have a rem M700 243 laying around that I have never got around to building a 308 out of. I would see if mel wants to re-barrel and thread, I have an extra stock and I would do the paint job.

If I go the AR route I am not sure if I would do a 20" or a 16" rifle.......

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
if your doing a 223... go 20 inch.... if your doing a 308 or other, then go for a 24 incher.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
caver101 said:
If I go the AR route I am not sure if I would do a 20" or a 16" rifle.......
Depends on what you want to do with it... if your going for accuracy i would go 20" or 18" and build an SPR type of rifle out of it. Here are some pics.

You could build up somthing like these...

Maybe somthing more along these lines...

:twisted:

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
what kind of scope is that huge thing at the bottom of ur post?

And as far as legality goes, how are all you guys getting cans? Does everyone have their class 3? My understanding was they are very difficult to obtain.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
3rd Generation 10X120mm IR vision (see's heat not color... white hot black cold).

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
how much did that run u?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I tried sending you an instant message on yahoo... dont think you got it. I have to go now... see ya later.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
APK-223 said:
what kind of scope is that huge thing at the bottom of ur post?

And as far as legality goes, how are all you guys getting cans? Does everyone have their class 3? My understanding was they are very difficult to obtain.
its not that hard, fill out your form 4 and send it in along with your 200 dollar tax. 4 months, two background checks, a sperm sample, your right arm and your first born later you get your class 3 approval form back at which point you go pick up your already paid for can.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts