Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Patriot Arms is coming out with a precision AR-15, the "urban sniper" model. The reviews are very positive so far.

Also, in response to the army's request for a SASS (semi automatic sniper system) Remington has come out with an AR-10 design. Thats not exactly news, but I thought I'd mention it... I'm not sure if that one will be legal though, the barrel looks pretty short, and it has a suppressor. Maybe Remington will make a "civilian" version.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey, cool I saw those in a magazine not too long ago.

Jered's AR shot a .30 MOA group at 650 yards, didn't it?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm in Rec, I got all kinds of ideas. :p

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol well, when I see an AR Recoil builds at home that gives .3 MOA at 600 meters, I'll be the first to buy one :lol:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
remington building a ar 10...........i'm already interested--hehe

dom

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, and that is why I have always been reluctant to get into the AR building business. Everyone is doing it, and it becomes difficult to distinquish yourself from the next guy.

Patriot Arms makes fantastic bolt guns, I would expect the same from their AR's

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
That's why you name it something cool like "Scimitar"...And yours would be build by a real deal bona-fide sniper :D

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Still, I agree with Mel. Especially when there are so many different rifle actions out there, why jump into an already crowded AR15 market?

In the next decade, if the XM8 does become standard issue, you will see many companies offering accurised civillian versions, why not be one of the first on that band wagon?

Edit: On second thoughts, the copywrite issue with H&K would be a nightmare.

What about an accurised AR18? lol

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Heh, mad told me the same thing.... (in terms of why people would by one built my me vs. someone else....)

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Re: re

Recoil said:
Nearly everyone who sees it thinks it's an ugly plastic Star Trek gun and wouldn't willingly pay good money for one to save their lives.
Hehe, indeed - they may even call it something like "the matt black mouse gun"!
:lol:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I definitely agree with Recoil on the cheaper alternative to a M14. The person that comes out with that will be doing very well indeed. The current prices are pretty darn high. You could buy an M14 or an SC1, a AR15, and an AK for the same price. Not much of a choice on that one for me.

John

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the thinking about the crowded AR market. At this point it takes something original AND useful to make anyone take notice, although a "custom AR ala carte", where the customer specified almost every part to be used (and had a .5 MOA guarantee at a reasonable price) would sell pretty well.

As for the XM8, I have no desire to own one, in any configuration. No one that I know wants one either. The AR15 is such a mature design now that you can have one any way you want it, and its here to stay. The future of the XM8, on the other hand, is uncertain. Besides, its an H & K, and you know what that means: the base model will be 3 grand :wink: . Lastly, its ugly as sin, although I can remember the M16 being denounced as an ugly-plastic-space-mouse-gun etc, and now everyone seems to like them.

I'm not a huge fan of the M14, and while I like the idea of a semi-auto .308 precision rifle, the M14 would not be my first choice of platforms. That's not to say they wouldn't sell like hotcakes though.

EDIT

*grin* on second thought, the "have it your way" AR would probably be a huge pain in the rear for the builder, and expensive to boot. On the positive side, I think Mark 12 SPR and SAM-R clones are pretty popular right now...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Recoil said:
If I had an M-14 receiver, I'd look into getting them machined for us, alas I do not and I can't justify blowing $500+ on a Springfield or Fulton receiver. Like John said, there's just better things to spend money on right now.
I "may" be willing to purchase a receiver if it might lead to something promising down the road, but machine a receiver is not cheap, so its hard to say if it would be fruitfull or not to do this.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Maybe a Canadian can have a Nork blueprinted, if you guys could live with a Chinese blueprint.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts