Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come to rebarrel my 700P.
Im not sure where I should start looking.
Friends have suggested Mike Rock 5R, Hart, Douglas, Krieger...

What do you guys prefer?
Any suggestions?

thanks, rob

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You've hit the best ones already (my preference Rock and Hart - rock if you want a cut barrel, Hart if you want a button barrel).

I can think only to add one Broughton, they just did the barrel on my 700P. They are using the new canted land technology, but not knowing what the heck that was I opted for a standard 5 R configuration for my 700P.

Anyone know what the canted lands stuff is all about? Does it increase the long-range accuracy of the barrel?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like krieger barrels. My gunsmith likes them a lot and I know of a competition shooter that has great success with them. This explains it all:

Barrel Making

We rifle by the single-point cut rifling process. Although our machines are state of- the-art; the process itself is the oldest and slowest method of rifling a barrel. The cutter removes .0001 inch or 100 millionth of an inch at each pass; thus taking several hundred passes to rifle a barrel. This method produces perfect concentricity between bore and groove, a very uniform twist rate, and induces no stress into the steel. This is why we can gain all the benefit of treating the steel beforehand. There is no additional stress put into the steel by the machining or rifling method that later has to be relieved. Along the same lines we do absolutely no straightening of our barrels as this would only put stress right back into the steel.

Our barrels are lapped after reaming to remove the tool marks and then lapped again after rifling. It has been said that if a barrel is cut rifled correctly, it doesn't have to be finish lapped, and to some extent this is true. It should not have to be lapped to obtain uniformity of dimensions. This should come from the tooling and procedures used. But there is a slight improvement in the finish, and the lay of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel so fouling is greatly reduced; and they clean much easier. It takes longer to finish lap, but it makes a better barrel. We are lapping to finishes under 16 micro inch in the direction of the bullet travel. In contrast the government requires only a 32 micro-inch finish on its M-14 National Match barrels.

Our barrels are held to a tolerance of zero to + .0005 over the nominal bore and groove dimensions, but the dimensions are uniform within .0001 throughout the barrel and never bigger at the muzzle than at the breech. There may, however, be a slight flare at each end of the barrel from the tools entering and exiting. This is why you should always remove at least an inch from the muzzle when fitting any barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go with the Krieger they are all I use for myself any more and I do a few rifles for friends and have them all using Kriegers and we all do a lot of 1000yrd shooting. Dont get me wrong Rocks are great barrels but a bit expensive a Krieger is about $250 or a little less and every bit as good. If you have a local smith you can order your own barrel and save some money a great place to buy them is Brunos Shooting Supply www.brunoshooters.com.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any of the barrels that have been listed will give you great performance. To talk about which barrel is the best is like the old ford, chevy, dodge arguments. I have had great experiences with Krieger, Shilen, and Obermeyer. I have never tryed Mike Rock barrels, I am sure they are quite capable barrels, however I have yet to see any palma or benchrest shooters using them. All in all any one of the top brands will do you a great job, its all a matter of opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts