VARI-X III 3.5-10x40mm
Long Range M3 Matte
Illuminated Duplex

$615.00 NIB

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just mounted on TTH, seems kinda far back. I put it on, and moved it back till the eye relief was most comfortable for me. But it just looks kinda odd. Any one experienced this before? If I have learned anything from this site, I think it would be to do with what works best for myself, so I think I will leave it, but I am curioust just the same......

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only thing I have noticed is that is looks like your scope could be mounted closer to the receiver. You might want to install a cheek pad to raise your face. However, I do agree that if it works well for you, don't change it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I agree, if it works for you, leave it alone, doesn't look bad to me anyway.

Great deal on the scope, where'd you get it?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bought it private party off of snipershide. But the setup just wasn't very comfortable, so those rings are going on APK again, and I have a set of TPS/TSR lows on the way. But the base is being sent back to Ken Farrell to be re-slotted for this.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Optics mounted!!!

Big thank you to Ken Farrell once again! He saved me!

Leupy sitting on Ken Farrel base and TPS TSRs!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Great setup, APK...It really is cool how classy Ken Farrell is...

I guess with that base, that's as low as you can get the scope anyhow. Sure looks good.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
wow! nice setup apk-looks better than before

dom

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yes, that is correct. The M3 knobs have the BDC on it. Of course, to confuse matters worse, there are 2 types of M3 knobs, those found on the 10x40mm, and then the M3 knobs found on the rest of the Mk4 scopes like APK's.

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Darn, I was hoping you weren't going to post a pick and I would get to enforce the rules... :( :lol:

Looks great.

Thanks for posting pics. Now all we need are pictures of groups.

And don't be claiming any shots secretly off of the bench. :wink:

Kidding kidding.

Enjoy your new baby.

-snowy

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx guys.

I picked up some AE to sight her in then I will begin working on a nice load. She loved 168's before but I want to try 175's. Also, I have a box of 190's lying around, anyone ever tried something that heavy in a .308?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
No I haven't. The 5R's have a 11.2 twist (well, the original ones did, I'm assuming the new ones do alsO) which may not be fast enough to stablize 190's. BUT, you don't know till you try, so keep us posted

MEL

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will.

If I can get the energy today, I'm going to take the AE 150's to the range to sight in. From there I can work on loads. I plan to test 168s, 175s, and the 190s (since I have them). If the 190s end up being to heavy to stablize I will dontate the rest to SC or whoever can use them. SHould make for an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
6 Posts
APK-223 said:
Thx guys.

I picked up some AE to sight her in then I will begin working on a nice load. She loved 168's before but I want to try 175's. Also, I have a box of 190's lying around, anyone ever tried something that heavy in a .308?
If someone can lend a hand, I would like to post a pic of my R5 finally finished. And I have found that the factory loads mine likes best are Hornady TAP 168 @ .40 and Black Hills 168 in close second @ .50. I shot a four round group of TAP around .25 and the fifth round opened it up to .40. Black Hills and Hornady 175 almost mirror these results in my rifle (just a tad larger groups) I tried shooting Hirtenberger 190 Match, but the best I could get was 1.25. All groups were five rounds at 100 yards.
I think you will like the rifle just fine. Mine shoots great and can't be beat for the money.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts