Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's my background:

I shoot alot, but not long range. I have several pistols, and a couple ARs with Eotechs, but the longest I've EVER shot is 200 yards. My longest range rifle is a PTR 91 that I've been working on for over a year. It has an MSG90 buffer, a 3-lb trigger, B&T lowpro scope base, Leupold Rifleman rings, and Bushnell 3-9 x 40 wide angle scope.

I know, not exactly a wonderful scope, but I was shooting 2-MOA this weekend with milsurp ammo, and 1-moa with the good stuff. My first question is, should I bother upgrading the scope? I mean, can I expect to get more out of this rifle? I don't wanna throw more $$ at an expensive scope if I'm already getting the most out of this rifle, you know?

I like my PTR, but with a very average 18" heavy barrel, I never expected it to be a long range rifle, just a good short to medium range precision rifle. I would like to buy a decent long range bolt gun someday and shoot 1000 yards, but I'm working my way up to that slowly.

My next step towards that end was my latest purchase: a Springfield M1A Loaded Standard ( http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod- ... aded.shtml ). I haven't even shot it yet. I'm expecting this rifle to be a little more accurate than the PTR. If I'm correct in assuming the PTR is a good 100-400 yard, 1-2moa rifle, I'm assuming the M1A loaded standard to outperform it, and I'd like the glass to help me do that.

So, what mounts, rings, and glass would you guys suggest? Prerequisites: the scope must have a lifetime warranty, mil-dot reticle or very good equivalent, less than $600, and an effective range of about 600 yards. I'd like the mount and rings to allow me use of the iron sights, but there I'm flexible.

I was looking at those Super Snipers, but they don't seem to have lifetime warranties, am I wrong?

Someone suggested this scope:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/IOR ... _scope.htm

But is 6 power enough to get me into the 500-600 yard range?

This scope came recommended:

http://www.muelleroptics.com/4-16x50IGR-Mil-Dot.htm

And I found these on my own:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/888 ... _scope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU ... escope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/327 ... _scope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/426 ... _scope.htm

I guess I really just don't know how much scope I need, and I have no idea what kind of mount/rings are good for an M1A (I was gonna get the SA mount and rings, and someone told me they're junk!).

Any light you can shed on this mess would be appreciated. To sum up: I wanna know if it'd be worth it to upgrade the scope on my PTR, and I also need to know what setup would make a good match for my new M1A Standard Loaded.

Thanks, sorry for the ramblling, but I was trying to give you as much info/background as possible.

Just for fun, here's a pic of the PTR and M1A together:

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
First welcome to the forum

Second if you are looking for a good scope under $600 with a lifetime warrantee I think Leoupold and Burris are your 2 options. Mel did a review of the Burris 3-9x40 that sounded good. They can be had for about $300 and up. The signature series is an upgrade but will run close to the $600 limit. While 6 power is good out to 600 yards, higher power is somtimes helpful. Something in the line of the 3-12x44 or the 6-24x44 is good for hitting paper at long range.

Leopold makes exellant scopes but tend to run a little higher in price for their scopes, but many people swear by the Leopold scopes and claim they are better optically than Burris.

Sorry I don't know more about you other rifles qualties, but I just picked up a used M1A just like yours. I havent had a chance to really put it through it's paces but it is fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

To get to 500-600 yards, all you -need- is a 4X scope.

If you know you will mostly be shooting at that distance though, (rather than changing a lot), you would probably be better with a simple fixed magnification scope rather than a variable power one. I would assume 8X to be perfect for precision at such distances.

Just my 2 cents mind.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey man, welcome to SC.

I'd go with a Leupold Mk4 PR, 3.5x10 with Mil dots, or without. That shouldn't be more than $600, I get confused with the differences in prices between here and the USA sometimes. It would be a good all around scope to get you from 100 to 1000 meters. Flexible is good. If you want to hit small targets, then more magnification would be helpful, but if you want to hit paper as a sniper would make his tactical shots, the scope would be fine.

PM Mele and ask him for his prices on your scopes. He saved me a lot of cash.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, you guys didn't touch the Bushnell, Browning, Mueller, or IOR, that says alot I think.

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone else has any experience with a PTR 91 (aka HK 91 G3) but it looks like I'll keep the PTR as is, and get the Leupold Mk4 for the M1A.

Can anyone suggest a quality mount and rings for the M1A?

Thanks for the welcome and the good responses. I'll let y'all know how it floats.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Check out my post in the DIY on the M14. The M1A is just the civilian version of the 14. I am growing much more fond of 10X fixed power scopes. Check the Bushnell Elite 3200 I just got mine, the glass is clear, it has mildots, and lifetime warranty,all for less than $200. I used Warne Rings, the permanent attachable type, and wow what a solid set up.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I've used the Bushnell 3200 that Mlammers mentioned for 2 years now, with no problems out of it, and it's repeatability so far has been excellent. He's right about the glass clarity too. The Bushnell 4200 series is also very well made.

Stick with the 3200-4200 series if you go with a Bushnell. The rest are clunkers.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you are getting 1 MOA with a PTR then I think you shouldn't bother upgrading your scope. I don't own a PTR, but everything I have read pretty much says that very rarely are they sub-moa shooters. I had mostly heard they were around 2 moa. I would just get the nicest scope you can for the M1 and leave the PTR be, maybe upgrade it in the future when you don't have something else you want more.

John

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The Muellers are nice too for the price, I have on on my 700 and it works well I would say if you like them go with it. Check Mels review of them too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anybody know if I use ARMS 18 mount and ARMS 22 QD rings if I need medium or high rings for a 40 to 50 obective?

Also, is there an ARMS equivalent that is better?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'll throw my hat in the ring for mueller. I have one of their 16x50mm variables with a mildot. And I consistantly hit plates out to 400 with it, without touching the target turrets!!! Much farther than that and I'd need a spotting scope...lol

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
OK, we we go.......

First, Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to optics spend as much money as you can afford to.

I have several leupolds and I am a firm believer in them. You can not go wrong with them! Only down side is the price.

I have a 3200 10x40 and it is a very nice scope for the money. The cross hairs seem too thick for seeing objects at long distances. I do not regret buying this scope at all.

Muller, I have looked through one of the 4-16-50s (Spade's), on a raining and foggy day, and it was pretty clear. Not like a leupold, but close to the 3200 scope. Not a bad scope for the money. I think they were going on ebay for quite a bit less than $200 (new in the box, maybe $169-189?? its been a while).

The IOR's are top o the line on par with Leupold or better. I do not have one, but I would like to get one!

Browning...........don't go there man. :lol:

The PTR you have is doing all it can, a new scope will not help it any more. Be happy it is shooting 1 MOA :D

On the M1A you will need a very durable scope. My first advice would be the 3200 fixed 10x. Next would be a Leupold Mark 4 M3 or M1. You have a very nice rifle, DO NOT PUT CRAPPY OPTICS ON IT :!:

Try to get something with 10 power on it.

You may want to look on ebay for a used VXII or VXIII Leupold........Don't matter if it is broke, they have a lifetime warranty!

With optics you get what you pay for!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts