Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm new here. From the posts, you guys sound pretty savy. It's nice to be here.

My .308 LTR gets a workout whackin' coyotes in the high Nevada desert.

The ring/base set are so low I can't use flip-up caps (the bolt handle clips it during cycling), but I get a great cheek-weld so I just use rubber bikini-type covers. [/img]

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
First off... welcome to the gang!!!

Thats a very nice picture and a very good grouping! We're excited to have you on board. What rings and bases are you using?

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, BC, you are more lucky. This rig will usually average about .65 for five shot groups, and that target in the pix is three shots. But yeah, it's a pretty good stick for being bought "off the shelf".

And Mele, the rings and base set are the Leupold "Dual Dovetail" system, in Low-Matte size. Both rings lock into the base, rather than the standard Redfield-style system, where the rear ring is just being pinched by a couple of winage srews to hold it in place. Considering that a scope bases' attachment bolts are the systems weakest link, this mount is more than solid enough, in my opinion.

When I finally get around to it, I'm gonna' have a custom barrel installed and have the action clip-slotted and the action re-threaded for much stronger 8-40 bolts. A super-strong clip-slot shouldered Badger base/rings would complete the rig.

Without base taper, I can reach just over 900 yards before running out of elevation. I've considered a 15 or 20 MOA base, to make 1000 yards for local matches, but always considered .308 it it's best at 800 yards and under. Lots of guys use .300 Win-mags there too I hear.

I already shoot in IDPA matches, so I guess that is enough "competition" for the moment. (But, if they had a tactical ".308 and under class"....I'd be all over it!)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you really want to get into 1,000 competitions... check out the 6.5-284 caliber... it holds the current 1,000 yard "un official" world record at just under a 2 inch 3 shot group.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I don't have a burning desire to get into the 1000 yard competitions, but it does interest me. And don't get me wrong...I certianly respect the performance of those 6.5 shooters.

On the other hand, if they had a class that wasn't simply a flat-shooting horsepower contest and recognized the military dominance of calibers like 7.62x51 and 7.62x54R in the hands of real-life snipers, I'd be MUCH more interested.

I got into IDPA because it stressed real-life combat pistol use rather than the "space guns" of other disciplines.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
They do its called F-Class TR. The class is limited to .223 and .308s that weigh less than 16 pounds including scope. I have both the .308 and the 6.5x284. Love them both.

JeffVN

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool!

Is the maximum range 900 yards or under? (Otherwise I have to get new rings/bases)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts