Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the biggest round i've really done much with is the standard 308rd-seems like 6.5creed is the way to go from there but wanted to get some insight from others who know more

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The round you pick depends on a number of factors.

What is your target?

What is your distance you want to engage targets?

Are you going to load your own rounds?

And last but probably most controlling, what is your budget?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just looking to get into some longer range scenarios-maybe try a comp at some point just to skill up some so guess just targets at a few longer ranges-500yd,1000yd,1500yd-won't be loading my own just yet and looking at around $2500 range i guess-just rolling some things around

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The .308Win is a tried and true round that has been around for many years. I've heard that you can get out past 1000yds with a heavy bullet 185gr+. You might need to consider your barrel twist on your 308 before you go this route as heavier bullets tend to need a faster twist than a 1-12 that came on my Remy 700P The commonly used round for the 308 is the 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match which is the heaviest bullet I used in my 1-12 barrel. I personally have hit steel at 1000yds. I needed about 10.5mils of elevation to get there. After I burned out that barrel I had the action trued and had a Bartlein Barrel installed in 6.5Creedmore. I only need 8.4Mils of elevation to get to 1000yds with 6.5CM hand loads which are not hot rounds.

Shooting can get addictive, at least it did for me. I started out with a .308Win and went to a 6.5CM which has become a very popular round. The 6.5CM has seen competing calibers in PRS shooting circles. I suggest that you check out PRS shoots in your area and attend one as an observer to get the lay of the land. I attended two before I participated. The people were relatively open regarding equipment they used and why. Check out what the top shooters in your area are using. MY.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts