Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a savage 12fv and am looking for a good scope recommendation....

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hello
We can recommend alot of scope, maybe give us alittle back ground infor so we can be a real help. Like what ranges are you shooting, is it for hunting or paper punching, what kind of budget are you on, what caliber of rifle is it and is it your first rifle scope combo? Best I can say is spend alittle more and get a good scope rather than skinping out and getting one that border line, and than next thing you no your buying another scope and spent more money.
Cliffy

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
RETDET... welcome to the Sniper Central forums.

What type of shooting will you be doing with this? Long range? Tactical? Tactical long range? Bench Rest? What caliber is the rifle?

BC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your replies and your welcoming me to the forums.

my 12fv is in .223 and stock configuration.

it will be used for paper punching as well as some coyote hunting.

this is not my first precision gun but it has been awhile. you know raising the family and whatnot, but now i can get back to my old interests.

100 yards max...

i want a middle range scope........

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I would keep it simple and go with a Leupold VX-I. Cheap and very effective at that range. Plus they are bullet proof!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
retdet said:

this is not my first precision gun but it has been awhile. you know raising the family and whatnot, but now i can get back to my old interests.

100 yards max...

Without knowing your price range, i would suggest either a burris fullfield II 4.5-12x40mm or nikon monarch in the same configuration. Perhaps a mueller 4-16x50mm.....

all good scopes that should let you extend the range of that rifle a bit.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
spade said:
Without knowing your price range, i would suggest either a burris fullfield II 4.5-12x40mm or nikon monarch in the same configuration. Perhaps a mueller 4-16x50mm.....

Yep...

BC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spade said:
retdet said:

100 yards max...

Without knowing your price range, i would suggest either a burris fullfield

II 4.5-12x40mm or nikon monarch in the same configuration. Perhaps a mueller 4-16x50mm.....

i just want a good set up, this is not a cost issue.....

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Well the burris fullfield II's offer 95 percent light transmission. So they will be very bright and clear. You could always pick up one of the leupold LR scopes... or perhaps even an FX model scope.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
RETDET - welcome to the Sniper Central forums

Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x50 LR or the VX-III 6.5x20x50 LR. I have both and the 4.5x14 is the most used scope I own.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I second the leopold VX-III in 4.5x14x50 or the 6.5x20x50LR good optics, good adjustment, good warrenty.
Cliffy

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
retdet said:
100 yards max...
Are you actually planning on only shooting out to 100 yards? If so... why not further? With modern day ammo you can use .223's out to 800 yards effectivly.

BC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
caver 101:

thanks for the welcome.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ballistic:

i may later decide to stretch my range out beyond 100 yds but not at the moment.

my coyote hunting is done well below 100 yds..

everyones advice is welcomed.......

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
redet: my coyote hunting is done well below 100 yds..
Shooting coyotes in a barrel?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
retdet said:
ballistic:

i may later decide to stretch my range out beyond 100 yds but not at the moment.

my coyote hunting is done well below 100 yds..

everyones advice is welcomed.......
If it is less than 100 yards a 3x-9x is plenty of scope. A high power scope in hunting can be a draw back at close range since it may be hard to find the game at higher power. Burris or leopold are good scopes. Other good ones are out there but you really cant go wrong with those two brands.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
One of those Leupold fixed 6 powers would be perfect for 100< shooting. Prefferably with a large objective lense... 50mm or so.

BC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts