Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i start on the questions i have - i would like the thank the military (both past and present) for puting yourselves where frankly, not alot of us would want to go. My hat is off to you!

I have been lurking this site for about two weeks and have finally decided to come on in. Recently i bought a Remington 700 in 308 with the 5r barrel. Somewhere in the pages of this site i saw that the barrels may be seconds :shock: .
:cry: (not what a guy wants to hear after dropping $900 on a rifle but ...)
I'm currious as to the reasoning for them being seconds, is it the acuracy or the finish or ? I am going to be putting a H-S magazine on this rifle and am wondering if anyone has one of these and how they like it.

The other rifle i'm curious about is the H-S Precision STR in 308. It seems the reviews are all on the HTR (heavy tactical rifle). It looks like a real nice rifle but i dont want to throw good money after bad ,if thats what i have done.

i apreciate your help

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Welcome!!! Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums!

First off what you said about the military is awsome, I feel the same and know some of the military personnel here will appreciate your kind words.

Secondly, don't worry about your 5R. My 5R is the best shooting gun I have ever fired. Check this out........

1 cold shot in black and 3 down and right. This was shot at 100yds w/ my 5R.

The 5R is supposed to be surplus M24 barrels, this is debated but I can guarentee you it is not any worse that a 700P. You have nothing to worry about! Although $900 is $150 more than I paid for mine. :p You will be fine, put a good scope on it and it will never fail you. That gun will never(not anytime in the near future) limit your shooting. It's up to you now!

Good luck, I know you'll love it here!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
WyzeGuy thank you for your Military support... and welcome to the Sniper Central Forums!!!

You wont have to worry about your 5R barrel being surplus or "seconds"... this is an old rumor when people got the name of the Remington M-24 barrel and the name of the 5R barrel confuzed. The rifling on the M-24 barrel is the same as on the 5R barrel... thats why they both have the same name... 5R. The name 5R is speaking of the rifling... and nothing else. The contour of the barrel of the "civilian 5R" has been guestimated at a #7 contour... while the M-24's barrel is undoubtedly a #8 contour or higher.

Accuracy with the #7 contour 5R barrel (like yours) should be very good... about .5 MOA or so.

BC

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Ballistic_Coefficiency I love reading your post :lol:
You mele and others on this forum is what keeps me coming back

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Glad to hear you like the site MadDog! :)

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The 5r rifles are pretty good. I am in the process of selling one now. I only put ~150 rnds in it but the accuracy was OK. (Not like APKs!!) Mine was a ~.6MOA rifle. I wish you good luck with it, it will (should) not let you down.

This is the story I was given when I got the rifle new. (this may or may NOT be true) The 5R barrel is the same (I do not think so) as the barrel on the m-24. The only difference is the BBL did not meet the specs for the m-24. It is still a great bbl and more accurate than any of the shelf hunting rifle. As it was stated above, sould be on par with the 700P.

Welcome!!!!! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information on thr 5R barrell, i feal alot better knowing that its not a seriously flawed purchase. :D

I would still like to hear thoughts and experience are on H-S products if you have any.

thanks again for the feedback,
Kenny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts