Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my favorite rifle in the entire world: A custom Springfield 1903-A3 built by my Grandfather as a first deer rifle when I came of age.

- The bolt is custom turned, and the original sights removed and Weaver rails installed.
- The stock is custom made from a solid piece of black walnut from one of our family's farms. All shaping and engraving is done by hand.
- Harris bipod, nothing special there...
- Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 w/ Millett rings
(All work done by my Grandfather)

The rifle has probably taken down more than a hundred deer in its lifetime, being that the rifle was originally purchased through the NRA for $20 for my dad. I've set it aside for the time being for my Rem 700 LSS .300RUM, as it's now more valuable to me as a trophy than as a tool. It still shoots reliably with sub 1MOA groups, but its time has passed.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
What serial number range is it?

And what manufacturer?

And I must respectfully disagree with you. The time for the Springfield rifle is not past. You have one of the all time great rifles. I especially love the smoothness of a Springfield.

Mad.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
madgunsmith said:
What serial number range is it?

And what manufacturer?

And I must respectfully disagree with you. The time for the Springfield rifle is not past. You have one of the all time great rifles. I especially love the smoothness of a Springfield.

Mad.
Let me re-phrase myself, cuz I agree whole-heartedly that it is still a wonderful rifle. I just want to keep the rifle in the shape it's in right now so that maybe I can take my son (whenever that happens :shock:) out into the woods and kill his first deer with it. If I keep shooting it like I had been the barrel is eventually going to give out. This rifle has been in my family almost 50 years!

The rifle shoots like a dream! On average I can shoot in the 1MOA range, with my smallest group ever being .54" on handloads. We used to handload exclusively, but due to a lack of time I'm now shooting either Federal Premium or Remington Premium, whichever is available at the moment. Note that the stock is somewhat "built" as it was meant to rest on a bench. As a small fry I wasn't exactly the biggest of kids, so he made a rifle for me that I could rest off whatever was available.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Thats a very pretty rifle! Great to see another family rifle being passed down from generation to generation!

MEL

·
Registered
522 Posts
With all the advancements, new technologies and everything we do to build tackdrivers. Nothing compares to family owned and made firearms that are passed on throughout generations.

Wouldn't matter if it shot 2MOA at 100yds or at 1000yds, its becomes a part of the family.

Good times. Nice rifle. :wink:

·
Registered
91 Posts
ooooohhhhhhhhhh! i love this rifle. I love 1903s. I want one. you have a very sweet looking and shooting rifle it seems. good luck with it.

Rm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts