·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depot tests new automated target systems
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification #: 200533182342
Story by Lance Cpl. Darhonda V. Hall

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (April 1, 2005)

The Location of Miss and Hit target system, or LOMAH, is an automatic target system that detects and records the passage of all rounds that are fired within the detection zone.

The testing of the LOMAH target system was conducted on Starlite Range March 23, in order to determine whether or not the system would be an acceptable alternative for the traditional system on the Parris Island rifle ranges.

The target system is already in use at MCAS Miramar, Calif., which is the largest LOMAH range in North America.

The system contains six supersonic sensors that detect whether or not the round has impacted the target surface. With the sensors located around the target, rounds that do not impact the target can still be detected.

"If the round does not impact the target at all," said retired Army Col. Anthony Labrozzi, vice president of SIUS targets, "the shooter can still be able to tell where he fired and make the appropriate adjustments."

To make adjustments, a monitor will be placed beside the shooter on the firing line. The monitor will have a silhouette of the target in which the location of the round will be displayed.

According to Labrozzi, if the target is hit, the computer will automatically calculate the score, while also calculating the number of rounds that hit the target.

"No one will be able to fire more rounds than they are supposed to," said Labrozzi. "The computer will sense the excess number and notify the main computer."

The system is guaranteed to work in rain, snow or even hail and has a 99.5 percent probability of completing an eight-hour training day without equipment failure.

The installment of the LOMAH target system will eliminate the requirement of Marines to be in the pits pulling the target down upon hearing or seeing a round impact.

"The LOMAH system is a lot safer than the manual pulling of the targets and it saves a lot of time," said Allen Montgomery, SIUS targets associate.

On Army bases Fort Benning, Ga., and Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., the LOMAH target systems are used for the basic marksmanship training of soldiers. If installed on Parris Island, it would also be used for the sole purpose of basic marksmanship training of Marines.

The system's installment on Parris Island, which is still under consideration, would reduce the need of manpower and make the ranges run more efficiently.

Sergeant Joshua Singleton, Starlite range coach, shoots at a target using the Location of Miss and Hit (LOMAH) target system March 23. Testing of the LOMAH target system was conducted on Starlite Range in order to determine whether or not the system would be an acceptable alternative to the traditional system on the Depot.

Each individual monitor of the LOMAH target system is hooked up to a master computer that is also able to view the shooter's progress when firing.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OORAH to no more pit duty :D ... I always hated pit duty. Especially when i had 1st pit duty... right before qual. Your arms get tired from pulling and pushing the targets up and down on the big metal frames... i always noticed it was more diffucult to qual when you get 1st pit duty... especially at the 500 yard line with iron sights on a basketball sized target. Cant wait till Pendleton gets ours installed...

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: ... i have no clue who makes the system or how much it would cost... but i cant wait to use one as soon as its installed down at Pendleton where i am. Reminds me of the targeting system that they use in the olympics. I was lucky enough to go to an old olympic training ground with my JROTC unit in high school... we had an air rifle team.

BC

·
Registered
156 Posts
I understand the Australian Defence Force has been using a system very similar to this for more than a decade.

From memory it uses sensitive microphones to detect the flight of the bullet, to triangulate the hits on the target and near misses.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

The British army also has been using such a system for years, which can do print outs, looking like so:

And can be zoomed in and the likes:

Still, needless to say, it doesn't improve your shooting on its own. :D

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
no, it doesn't. But it would make it possible to shoot long distance alone. As it is now, it requires a minimum a spotter.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Canada's system is the same as Yimmy's I belive.

If I was gonna shoot long range on that thing, I'd need a 52 inch screen to see my misses

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allthough... pit duty does suck... it is a tradition. And this new system means that all new Marines that use this system wont know how to score a target as a pitter. :( Just a little bit more of tradition leaving us... for better or for worse...

BC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Funnily enough today I was own the ranges and for the first time in ages we were using ranges without the computerisation, so had to do pit duty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts