Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun another project. This one is a Sniper package to see if I can make one that will out perform my Remmy. The Remmy shoots .5 to .75 MOA depending on me, so its no easy task to beat it. My other mauser hangs right with the remmy so I am hoping to improve each time.

Here are the specs

Action=Yugo M48 Mauser fully trued

Barrel=Adams and Bennett airgauged 308 stainless heavy contour

Stock=Richards Microfit Tactical Fully hand fitted and pillar bedded laminate

Bases/rings=Redfield one piece windage adjustable steel, matching rings

Scope TBD=funds dependent

Harris Bipod

maybe an adjustable buttplate

Now here are some pics, some are of my rifle, some are of another I am doing at the same time.

Action as it arrived, after an acid bath to remove old bluing

Checking the bolt face for square

Bolt face 100% contact no lapping required

Prepping to check the bolt lugs for contact

Checking the bolt lugs with the tool installed above

Again good news no lapping needed well over 80% contact which is the goal if lapped

Barrled action with polishing still left to do

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to get it up here for comments and get some input from you guys. I have done all this work myself, most of it in my shop to include all the action work. I used the smiths tools to cut the chamber, and forge the bolt(have torches on order so i will be doing them here soon). I also have drilled and tapped the rifle already and will post more pics as work progresses.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the post. Lots of details and great pictures

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress is going well, My stock should be here any day now, and then real work will start again.

I have been preparing this one as a test mule/prototype for what I will offer for sale once my FFL arrives. In the very near future I will be offering these rifles as package deals, built to customer specifications. I just have to wait for the FFL to post all the prices and take orders. In the future the rifles will be built on factory new actions with several barrel, stock, and finish options, and configurations for hunting and target shooting. More info to come.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Right on, Mark! Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
factory new actions with several barrel, stock, and finish options
Type of actions?

Not trying to pen you down on a price, but what range are is your target?

What is your MOA guaranty going to be?

Good looking stuff! Keep it commin!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actions will be new Zastava made fully forged(even the small parts) mauser actions, all will have adjustable triggers, side safties, and will be trued(bolt lugs, faces, and action face), as well as, drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

The price for a target model will vary by options ordered. The base will be very near a 800 if a laminated or wood stock is used, and a base level barrel, such as the one I am using on my test rifle. I plan to offer barrels from ER Shaw, Shilen, Montana Rifleman and Lothar Walther. So as you can see the cost will vary on the barrel options. Stocks will be by Boyds, Bell and Carlson, and Hogue. I will also order from Richards Microfit, and Wenig stocks on request. Custom wood stocks made from exotic woods may also be offered, done by Richards and Wenig.

Lastly the cost will be higher but I will offer a total stainless action and barrel setup, that will feature a synthetic full chassis stock by Hogue or Bell and Carlson. I may also offer double set triggers as an upgrade.

Accessories such as Harris bipods, and optics/mounts of customer choice will be available too.

Accuracy will be guranteed, Hunters will be sub MOA on quality hunting ammo, and target models will have .5 MOA gurantee on Match ammo. All rifles will include test targets.

As soon as the FFL arrives I will post all this on a website, that I am getting some help with from a couple friends(you know who you are and I cant thank you enough).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The local shop has a couple of guns built on the Zastava actions from a local smith. From what I understand they shoot really well. The thing I find wrong with them is the scraping sound when you close the bolt. The contact surfaces are VERY ruff and it makes the action feel cheap. Maybe it was just the action that I picked up. Can you give anymore info on them? Price sounds good, that is a good price for a custom rifle.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The surfaces your a speaking of I assume are the bolt raceway. On my rufles they will be polished to smooth out the action of the bolt and allow a buttery smooth cycle.

As far as more info, the actions are made at the Zastava arsenal in the former Yugoslavia. This arsenal has been making mausers since the 1920s(rebuilds of older rifles) and 30s new production of 1924 style FN Mausers(Yugo M24 later modified to the M24/47 and 24/52, and M48/48A series). They have also built the M76 and M93 Sniper platforms, as well as sniper versions of the other listed mausers.

The actions are full length 98 mauser style actions that have been updated with the modern features that the customer is now demanding(side safety and adjustable trigger, as well as stainless steel versions). Mausers when new, if the raceways have not been polished, can be a little rougher than some other designs, due to the claw extractor needing to be worn in some. The nice part is that all these actions are full forged and take to polishing very well and get very very smooth as all mausers do when broken in.

I hope this helps, and I will have some pics up soon of some stock work on a wood stock for one of these rifles.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The surfaces your a speaking of I assume are the bolt raceway
Yep, thats it!

The rifle I picked up was BAD.........I could not believe it was in the store and come from a "custom" smith.

Still looks like a good action and with the .5 MOA guaranty it should be a seller.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok here are some pics of my stock for the sniper project. I just finished inletting the barrel channel for a free float. The stock is a Boyds VIP Target Varminter, in Nutmeg Laminate, it has a great palm swell. The stock will even work for left hand shots, as the raised Monte Carlo portion flows into the left side to give good cheek weld there too. As I said before this an F54 Adams and Bennett Stainless barrel, on a Yugo 48 Action. The finish on this set up will be a Matte Ruger Grey type on the barrel, a dark matte blue on the action, Parked bolt, cocking piece, trigger guard and floor plate. The scope mounts and optics are matte, the glass will be a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X tactical. I will mount a harris Pod, and use a 1907 Sling.

Let me know what you think, PS the stock has no finish on it in these photos, but is fully prepped for the oil that will seal it later.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Nice! :)

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
i have an Interarms MK X action I had a guy build a few years ago. I have the same stock and it is great. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
the project is looking really nice, kinda gives me the itch to start working on some of my neglected rifles.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Great looking rifle! The colours of the stock and the metalwork go together really good, and the stock looks really comfortable to hold. I like the choice of optics too.

Will you be giving a description of oiling the stock?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Muzz,

I will give a full description of the stock finishing process, and the bedding as well. I show the install of the glass and pillars step by step as much as possible( have to draft the wife for photographer duty as my hands will get kind of messy). I will try to post some pics of the stock inletting tools I use later today as well.

I can give basic rundown of my process here. When the stokcs come in they are pretty roughly shaped and not sanded much better than a scratch grit at best. I start by test fitting the action to the stock to see that the holes line up, and how far off the barrel is from dropping in. I mark the out lines of the barrel to get a rough idea how far I need to inlet the channel.

Next I get the channel cutter out, put the stock in a padded vise, and go to work on the channel. I cut to the outlines I made earlier, and test fit. The action will usually drop in at this point, but not be free floating. I check for a free float with the stock torqued down, by trying to pass a dollar bill under the barrel from the forend tip and work back to the action. I mark any area that it wont go through. At this point it usually wont go at all.

I then remove the action form the stock, and work onthe inletting again, this process is repeated again and again until a full free floating barrel is accomplished. This often takes 5 or more times, as I dont want to take too much off(you cant put it back). Once that is done, I move the the action bedding either, glass or glove fitting the wood along with stock pillars(I will cover this in another post.) I sometimes do the external work first, and that is not a problem, more just a matter of what all I have going at the time(more than one going, so I try to work on all exterior stuff at once etc).

On the exterior work, I start with as low as 60 grit depending on what is needed and how much was done by the stock builder. On this one I started at 120 grit, and worked the whole thing with the 120 being careful to try to preserve the sharp lines and edges. I use a hard rubber sanding block, and 3M sandng pads to aide in preserving the shape. Next on this one, I went to 220 grit, and down to 320, and finally 0000 steel wool. When its done, it feels smooth as a pane of glass. The last step is to take a tack cloth to the whole thing, and its ready for oil and/or stain.

Sorry this is so long but I was trying to cover the prefinish work that goes into the stock.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Great post!

No problem about the length, the detail is good. If there is anyone else here who will be finishing a stock any time soon, this is invaluable

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Slight delay, I decided to run up to my parents place for the 4th(I am at their place now) to take my girls fishing and swimming for a couple days. It has proven to be great success, my oldest has caught a whole mess of palm(my palms hehe not hers) and some bass too.

It is great up here, its a private lake that used to be stone qaurry many years ago. I grew up fishing this lake when my grandfather had a travel trailer here, before the owner turned it into a retirement community. So now I get to fish with my kids where I used to fish with my grandpa.

I will get the pics of the tools up as soon as I get home, and also the pics of the stock glass bedding work next week. I will try to get pics of the blasted action prior to the bluing(that should be next Thursday).

I will also cover the oiling of the stock, and what products I use. I might also post some pics of two other stocks I am working on right now. I currently have a real nice project going for a scout mauser in 8MM that may get covered too.

More to come, and thanks for the compliments on the work, I hope my projects can help some of you guys in your own projects.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts