Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. First post here 馃憢. Started my build at the beginning of the year. What I wanted was to take my savage 111 (pre accutrigger) in 338 win mag and make it shoot. I started with the stock and ordered a boyds pro varmint and glass bedded the action. I then threw an obnoxious bolt handle on it and ordered a barrel from Mcgowen. I ordered it at 27", 6 flutes, #6 contour, 1:9 twist, 11degree crown, and cerekote painted burnt bronze. Not a fancy high budget build at all but its enough to impress me and that's all that matters :). Anyways I took it out last night to test the new set and I'm somewhat relieved knowing that I'm under and inch with boxed ammo. 5/8" 3 shot group at 100yds. The first 3 shots out of the barrel were to zero it so I really think it just might tighten up to that 1/2".....wishful thinking??? Rifle gained an extra 4lbs and doesn't kick nearly as bad. Ill be out testing boxed ammo for a little while until I get the reloading station set back up so ill make sure to give updates on 100yd groups and long range groups as that's what I've mainly built this for.
FB_IMG_1526003645155.jpg 20180509_175833.jpg 20180507_170126.jpg

Registered
Looks like a nice build. I've got 2 McGowen barrels and after break-in, they did tighten up groups some. Should be a good shooter. Let us know!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I was pretty impressed with how nice the barrel looks with no blemishes and it only took 7 weeks to be at my door ��. Before hunting season kicks off on hoping to have a Basic trigger and have the bottom floor plate and trigger guard cerekote matched with the barrel. And just a heads up for anyone that has a savage long action with detachable mag and top bolt release.....it was annoying finding a stock. Seems like everyone caters to SA so I wasn't able to buy a B&C or anything like that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Did a little shooting this past weekend. Tried out a box of HSM 250gr Sierra Gamekings and Federal Premiums 225gr Accubonds. Both groups were around 2" at 100yds.....yikes haha. Probably just go back to the boxed Hornady 225gr because that's what shot the 5/8", while Im working up loads for it. Should be getting some marbelizing paint this week so I can get that stock done up

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got the stock painted and on :grin:. IMG_3327.jpg The marbelizing spray was simple to apply and was able to get it exactly how I wanted it.
IMG_3328.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts