Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay everyone I'm sure there's plenty of new people posting threads like this but here's another one. I just joined the forum after reading a few threads and I like what I see. I got a factory new Ruger American chambered in .308 ... now I know this isn't a sniper rifle per say, but its what I could afford. now to start off I live in mass, yes its depressing but what can ya do. I got the rifle Saturday 10/26/13 at a gun show and I have yet to fire it, also depressing. I went to my grandfathers house to show him and he was impressed. now he used to reload all sorts of ammo from .223 30-06 to 9mm and .45 and he was a sergeant in the army or air force, I cant remember, but he had about 50 lbs of mil-spec lake city .308 shells in a big ammo can. he explained that they were for m60's and they have crimped primers. he told me that once everything is done to the shells I'll have "factory brass" . my dad also reloaded mostly handgun ammo but he knows what to do. so I'm starting off with all of the tools I would need and even several pounds of powder and probably 2000 primers. lucky me!! now I just have to reload it all. if your still reading this far in, thanks haha I'm curious to know if any one has any experience with the Ruger American 308 22" barrel and what "type" of hand loaded round these guns like. also I've got a Redfield 2 3/4x wide field scope and a weaver k4-1 scope that are laying around, so nothing good yet. but I do have a new Harris 6-9" bipod. and the range I'm at is only 200-225 yards, so not "long range"

thanks everyone and happy shooting
-nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
okay everyone I'm sure there's plenty of new people posting threads like this but here's another one. I just joined the forum after reading a few threads and I like what I see. I got a factory new Ruger American chambered in .308 ... now I know this isn't a sniper rifle per say, but its what I could afford. now to start off I live in mass, yes its depressing but what can ya do. I got the rifle Saturday 10/26/13 at a gun show and I have yet to fire it, also depressing. I went to my grandfathers house to show him and he was impressed. now he used to reload all sorts of ammo from .223 30-06 to 9mm and .45 and he was a sergeant in the army or air force, I cant remember, but he had about 50 lbs of mil-spec lake city .308 shells in a big ammo can. he explained that they were for m60's and they have crimped primers. he told me that once everything is done to the shells I'll have "factory brass" . my dad also reloaded mostly handgun ammo but he knows what to do. so I'm starting off with all of the tools I would need and even several pounds of powder and probably 2000 primers. lucky me!! now I just have to reload it all. if your still reading this far in, thanks haha I'm curious to know if any one has any experience with the Ruger American 308 22" barrel and what "type" of hand loaded round these guns like. also I've got a Redfield 2 3/4x wide field scope and a weaver k4-1 scope that are laying around, so nothing good yet. but I do have a new Harris 6-9" bipod. and the range I'm at is only 200-225 yards, so not "long range"

thanks everyone and happy shooting
-nick
Load development can be tricky you didn't say what manuals you have that's where I would start read all of the first part of any good manual and most of the mystery will be gone start with low loads and work up be sure to keep good notes

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question for all of you don't know how to post it so I have a new CZ American 223) 5.56 Winchester 55 grain 5.56 ammunition.case head separation what's up Brite ring on some and can feel canyon in the inside when I check this is factory loaded new ammunition

1 - 3 of 3 Posts